Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Amputation

Sag

Well been back to hospital today hoping all was going to be ok with my finger amputation,he took my bandage off and the I saw his face change and then oh it shouldn't look like that,I then looked at it only to find the skin hasn't taken and started to go black,what a mess that's all I could say,so far 3 operations and still not right:angry-screaming: I'm at the point now I've just had enough not surprised it been hurting so much.got to go back in 3 week to see if any change,asked him what's going to happen then and all I got was we will see how it goes,so from a cut to my finger with angle grinder to operation that went wrong as finger set bent,to another opp and finger as good as died and went to just bone to it going black and rejected the skin,talk about not going right:doh:.moan over

Bad luck mate but it'll come right.

Sorry to hear that Sag, you're not having a lot of luck with that finger.

A few years back my wife cut the last 1/4" off her finger with the secateurs while gardening (you probably heard the scream! [emoji33]). Local doctors put a Manuka honey dressing on it. She had no problems and within a few days the thing started healing and before long it had grown back altogether.

Not suggesting yours will grow back Sag, but it might be worth suggesting the Manuka honey dressing. Can do no harm, might well help it heal as its a powerful antiseptic.

Bad luck Sag. We all take good health for granted but it can alter in a split second.

Hi Sag, I've felt your pain!

Going black doesn't necessarily mean it'll have to come off, sometimes new skin forms underneath the dead black tissue, there's just no way to tell until it's had a few weeks.

I hope yours goes better than mine did, they stuck mine back on, it lasted a few days before it died, it was another 6 weeks before they took it off again, did a good job on the stump in the end tho, doesn't cause me any issues now (2yrs on) besides dropping the odd cup of tea :lol:

The pain meds did me more harm than the accident!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clutching at straws and its probably not possible but it can do no harm to ask about hyperbaric chamber treatment , few hospitals have access to one but they all know the benefits .

Many thanks everyone for the advice,I will be suggesting these on my next visit and see what he says with out a doubt,can't wait to see his face when I bring theses up. Thanks all means a lot for all your advice really does :thumbup:

I hope it turns out OK, sounds bloody painful though :(

Thoughts are with you on this, never lost any appendages yet, but it's been a close call a few times.

I decided to start protecting my ears years ago and my first go at wearing ear defenders nearly cost me my fingers. I had a 2 ft diameter blade ride on mower which got blocked and I removed the grass vent to clear the cuttings. WHACK WHACK WHACK. Didn't half hurt. The mower was faulty and the blade was still in gear but I could not hear what was going on. Just bad bruises fortunately.

Crikey Frank, you were lucky! I've heard tell of similar that resulted in all fingers lost at the first joint. I shudder thinking about it when I have the mower running. I know what you mean about blotting the sound out. I used to do domestic electrics and chasing out walls for cables and sockets saw me with fan face mask and eat defenders. It felt like total isolation from the world around me.

Crikey Frank, you were lucky! I've heard tell of similar that resulted in all fingers lost at the first joint. I shudder thinking about it when I have the mower running. I know what you mean about blotting the sound out. I used to do domestic electrics and chasing out walls for cables and sockets saw me with fan face mask and eat defenders. It felt like total isolation from the world around me.

Gawd! that brings back memories Rich, when I was a sparky I was chasing out a wall in a council block of flats and had told my apprentice NOT to use the Hilti gun on the breeze block walls (he was working behind me) when I heard a sound like a demented hornet whizz past my right ear and take a chunk out of the concrete wall I was chasing, two inches to the left and I probably wouldn't be here now. :shock:
He was lucky he could run faster than me or he would have had my hammer buried in the back of his head. :angry-screaming:

Easy to forget how delicate we really are , we all wear these
$T2eC16JHJIkE9qU3i)j+BRcBpwvZl!~~60_35.JPG
on commercial fishing boats a pair every other day i used to go through but i would challenge anyone to tear them willfully they are very strong . Standing on the deck in the harbour one sunny day drinking tea and not doing very much at all the mate chucked me a new pair which looked a little small to me so i tried one on . Yapping away and not really thinking about it i picked up the 3" thick mooring rope to pop it into the open cleat . Not looking at it i felt the tiniest pressure and as is the way on boats i whipped my hand away quicksmart tearing 4 fingers off the glove :shock:

Wow hearing some of theses story's above we should all take care and take our time in doing things,I did have thick rubber gloves on when it happened hence I've still got my other fingers as it stopped the blade quick time. Got to love this forum for the kind hearted folk and care everyone gives specially when most of us have never met feels so nice to be part of such a close group,thanks all means a lot and brings that smile back when you think you've lost it :icon-biggrin:

Don't think I don't care because I didn't post Sag, it sounded so awful I just couldn't think of a suitable answer, best of luck mate with your recovery.

All the best Sag, I hope you get it sorted after all these issues.

Really can't thank you all enough for your comments I really can't.

Back