Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An Oz based Kiwi wandering in Europe

Kiwicruiser

Country Flag
new_zealand
I've only recently discovered LCCnet (if that's the correct abbreviation) but I've been on LCOOL for a number of years. We're wandering round Europe at the moment in our HDJ79 before we head off home next year via Central Asia and Siberia. So, for those who are interested:

We had our very modified 2002 HDJ79 chassis/cab shipped from Oz last year. We then took it to Bimobil in Munich to have the camper body fitted. See the Bimobil website for info on the camper. Now to the Toyota bits.

The HDJ79 was never sold in Europe. In standard form in Oz, NZ and, I think, S Africa, it's a 79 Series but with the 1HD-FTE engine without intercooler rather than the old 1HZ. Ours has:

Motor and 5-speed automatic transmission from a 2006 100 Series. Donor was one owner, 100,000km and full service history until a tree fell on the back end of it! So, it has full time 4wd.

OME suspension with 50mm lift and GVM upgrade to 3.7 tonnes with air suspension at rear.

VERY large air-air intercooler and 3'' exhaust. It probably puts out around 170kw power and 500nm torque.

Electronic diff locks back and front.

160lt Long Ranger fuel tank.

Built in ARB compressor.

285/75x16 BFG muddies on heavy duty alloy rims (rated at 1,400kg each).

Interior has Recaro seats and 2 layers of sound/heat insulation. Being an Oz spec truck it comes with aircon and heavy duty cooling.

Still wondering whether or not to fit a winch but, back in Oz, I only ever used the winch for pulling other people out. However, it may have its uses in Siberia. Also, it would cost me about half the Oz price to buy and fit one here.

All the mods were based on our experience of converting a 105 Series to the 1HD-FTE engine and auto transmission. And, to rekindle an old debate, after 000's of km in some extreme conditions, I would NEVER go back to manual transmission!

So, there it is, thanks for all the info I've had from the forum and I'll contribute when I can.

What an excellent intro, I notice 4 posts already but still "junior" enough to say welcome to the forum Kiwicruiser:icon-biggrin:

Sounds like a formidable truck and needless to say we're looking forward to more pics and some finer details of the mods you've done...:thumbup:

Ben will be along soon, no doubt...

Some one mention me? :lol:

Welcome to the club Kiwi. :thumbup:

Sounds like an awesome truck you've got and an amazing adventure your having. :clap:

Do you have a blog or anything for your trip?

I'm planning a big round the world trip myself but it wont be for a few years and will follow a slightly different route to most people. Cant wait but need to save a load of money first. :icon-biggrin:

As ever, if you are anywhere in the SW of France call in! BBQ always on the go :)

Last edited:
As never, if you are anywhere in the SW of France call in! BBQ always on the go :)

Yep, same goes for Romania, Bucharest or a bit north of (110 kms), anytime, but PM me first to check we'll be in :lol:.

Thanks all for your kind replies. My wife does a blog but I'm not allowe to post the link. However, if you look for ---. slowcamper. --- you'll find it. If you look at it you'll see that this nonsense started out in a Unimog almost 3 years ago! If I knew then what I know now I'd just have brought the Cruiser from Oz then. However, the Mog seemed like A REALLY GOOD IDEA at the time........ I think there are some pics of the 105 (sold to buy the 79) in the Victoria High Country on the blog.

I think I've mentioned all the mods except for the fact that the roo bar is alloy, not steel – BIG weight saving. I also replaced the standard Toyota snorkel with a Safari.

Final comment is that I've just bought a winch in the UK, a Superwinch Talon 9.5sr. I'm a great fan of Superwinch, having had one on the 105 and the Jeep JK before that. We're going to the HubbUK meet at Donington Park next week and we'll pick it up from friends there. We're staying in Germany at the moment and I'm having difficulty finding somebody in Bonn or Cologne to fit it as I don't have facilities here to do it myself. Anybody got a suggestion for a fitter in the UK somewhere between Derby and Harwich?

All the best.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Final comment is that I've just bought a winch in the UK, a Superwinch Talon 9.5sr. I'm a great fan of Superwinch, having had one on the 105 and the Jeep JK before that. We're going to the HubbUK meet at Donington Park next week and we'll pick it up from friends there. We're staying in Germany at the moment and I'm having difficulty finding somebody in Bonn or Cologne to fit it as I don't have facilities here to do it myself. Anybody got a suggestion for a fitter in the UK somewhere between Derby and Harwich?

All the best.

Sorry Kiwicruiser, no. But thumbs-up from me for giving Superwinch a mention. You're the first person on this forum to rate them.

Apart from the paint peeling off mine (which is simply cosmetic and a bit annoying) it's been a great piece of kit. :thumbup:

Welcome mate, sounds like you and your wife are living the dream!!!

Back