Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Animal's 120 journey - Meet Lilly

New front calipers and pads being fitted as we speak.
Rear pads being fitted.
Leak found on coolant hose toward rear of vehicle.
New rear wiper to be fitted.

Fingers crossed all will be hunky dory.

I'll ask about extended warranties.

Well Animal looking like you have been sold a Shiney Nail and as the above hope thats the end of your worries was good the garage put the faults right you could have had a fair old fight on your hands but they should not have sold it to you in the first place in that condition are they local to you and do they have a good reputation for car sales and repair good luck with your mods and build

Well Animal looking like you have been sold a Shiney Nail and as the above hope thats the end of your worries was good the garage put the faults right you could have had a fair old fight on your hands but they should not have sold it to you in the first place in that condition are they local to you and do they have a good reputation for car sales and repair good luck with your mods and build

They seem to have a good reputation but they aren't very local to me (90 minutes away). The MOT was done at another place and the guy that sold me the car was unimpressed, however, he should have given it the once over before moving it on.

Update:

Lost coolant overnight, from full to low in expansion tank. Leak sourced to water pump so new one getting fitted today. I'm much happier as that seems to be a more plausible explanation as to the coolant loss.

I've also got some details from Toyota today and, I'm glad to hear, it had 4 new injectors in 2014 at 59k miles. That should allay any cracked piston fears for another 50k miles at least. Injector change was instigated by noisy startup.

Oil strainer recall carried out in 2011 at 38k miles. Would this include the injector seals?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh yeah, it had a gearbox within it's first few months of life. Factory recall.

Update:

Lost coolant overnight, from full to low in expansion tank. Leak sourced to water pump so new one getting fitted today. I'm much happier as that seems to be a more plausible explanation as to the coolant loss.

I've also got some details from Toyota today and, I'm glad to hear, it had 4 new injectors in 2014 at 59k miles. That should allay any cracked piston fears for another 50k miles at least. Injector change was instigated by noisy startup.

Oil strainer recall carried out in 2011 at 38k miles. Would this include the injector seals?

The "oil strainer recall" should have been the injector seal recall. And they should have put new injector seals in again with the new injectors, they are not reusable.

...and the saga continues.

STILL losing coolant.

I took it to Mr T who did me a favour and put a sniff test on it, all ok. Looks to still be an actual leek rather than something more sinister.

Warped front discs.

No doubt as a result of the seized calipers.

Severe (yet intermittent) shake at idle (in D or R)
Looks like at least one of the active engine mounts is duff.

I doubt very much that the garage will address the above issues. They were resistant to changing calipers and water pump and won't pay for Mr T diagnosis. It looks like I'll be walking away from this one this week.

...and the saga continues.

STILL losing coolant.

I took it to Mr T who did me a favour and put a sniff test on it, all ok. Looks to still be an actual leek rather than something more sinister.

Warped front discs.

No doubt as a result of the seized calipers.

Severe (yet intermittent) shake at idle (in D or R)
Looks like at least one of the active engine mounts is duff.

I doubt very much that the garage will address the above issues. They were resistant to changing calipers and water pump and won't pay for Mr T diagnosis. It looks like I'll be walking away from this one this week.

I had the nasty shake at idle in D or R and also assumed engine mounts. Read about how to change them, they're a pig. Also dire warnings of engines falling through the chassis legs!

Any how, it all went away after I changed my injectors. I know yours sound like they've been done, but worth getting the fuel trims read with Techstream to be sure they aren't on their way out. But given the mileage and when they were replaced it's unlikely.

I had the nasty shake at idle in D or R and also assumed engine mounts. Read about how to change them, they're a pig. Also dire warnings of engines falling through the chassis legs!

Any how, it all went away after I changed my injectors. I know yours sound like they've been done, but worth getting the fuel trims read with Techstream to be sure they aren't on their way out. But given the mileage and when they were replaced it's unlikely.

That was my thinking too.

Water leak should ultimately be easy to fix, brake discs are a cinch, it's the mount that gives me the greates concern.

I've ordered a techstream but it may take a month to get here. I've messaged some members local to me to see if any of them have techstream and can help.

Injector pressure can be affected if the pipes are looser than they should be.
Tightened mine a while back and the vibration was cured - it was there when engine was cold but disappeared after it warmed up

It's going to Mr T on Thursday for proper analysis and injector diagnostics, both stationary and driving. It's got to be worth £70 so I can go back to the seller with evidence of what's needed.

Agreed AM at least you will have facts to then negotiate with

Update from the cars session with Mr T:

Injectors are all as new and in spec
SCV is not showing any faults or errors
All other values are in spec and good
Engine runs well and car pulls smoothly
Nothing appears to be out of place other than an intermittent ABS fault on OSR brake (doesn't show ABS fault light, so not detrimental).

Regarding the rough idle, the chap believes a trans fluid change will resolve it.

Also said car would (obviously) benefit from full filter/fluid change.

I'm quite happy with the diagnosis as the chap didn't try and get me to be a customer of theirs, nor did he try to sell me any solutions/products/maintenance packages. He is a 4x4 enthusiast and believes my car is a good one and just needs the above doing to sort it out.

What he did say was that a trans flush, and allowing the auto box to re-adapt (pull trans fuse) should deal with an odd feeling at 55-60mph (akin to being in too high a gear in a manual car).

Time to start enjoying and getting the car to the spec I want it to be in.

Oh, and the water leak appears to have stopped (or at least slowed to a minor weep). Looks to be a minor weep from the pipe out of the expansion tank I think.

That's a relief, I was holding my breath for you. Excellent!

Have fun, and enjoy AM

Thank you for the support everyone. I know it's only a car but it can be stressful when you dump money into something like that only for it to look potentially like a bad purchase.

I've already completed my ebay and Amazon purchases for the stuff that's been sat in them! :laughing:

Back