Annoying squeak...

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Dear Agony Uncles and Aunts,

Squeaks and other funny sounds are notoriously hard to diagnose but I'm desperate to find and eliminate the squeak that's driving me nuts.

And no, it's not from my head, hip or anything else :lol:

I have it localised to the front right suspension. But I'm not sure exactly what it is. If I bounce the front right I can reproduce it. Definitely a metal-on-metal squeak. I initially thought it may be something to do with the ARB winch bumper but it doesn't seem to be.

Took the wheel off yesterday and checked all bolts torqued up properly and lubed up everything I could. All the bushes look ok, but could be the issue, as there's that tell-tale cracking sound on lock to lock moves. Steering bushes maybe??

The lube exercise seems to have cured 80% of the squeak - but it's still annoying - and loud :-(

Maybe time to swap to poly bushes?

Any thoughts please?

EDIT: I'll drop the skid plates today if I can and see if there's a difference.

'Desperate in Edinburgh'

Nothing to do with your problem, I'm sure, but my father had an old Morris PV which he'd converted into a campervan, similar to this beautiful restoration

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2616961020044442179RTXbBP

Sometime in the eary '60's we set off for our week of camping and canoeing holiday at LLangower point at Bala Lake, and he heard a squeak that us kids couldn't. The van made so much noise that I'm surprised he heard anything.

After stopping, he lifted the engine cowl (no bonnet, the engine was inside the van!) to find a bird's nest and 3 chicks in it! We went straight back home and left the nest in a hedge close to where he always parked the van and the 'mother' sparrow carried on raising the chicks!

More interesting than it turning out to be your hip afterall! :lol:

I had a similar problem, and it was my bumper was too high. There is a couple of tabs on the front wing that point down and could just reach the trailing edge of bumper directly above the wheel when I went over a bump.

I had thought it might have been the roll bar links, as they are a favourite to fail.

Cheers A

Suspect I may have found it - or some of it :lol:

Had a look yesterday when I got back from work and it seems the ARB stone guard from the bumper down to the ASFIR front guard may have been squeaking under flex conditions. Took it off and lined all the overlaps with some silicone 2mm tape. It doesn't squeak under static compression any more. Need to go for a drive and check. Here's hoping!!

Yeah but it might still be my hip :lol:

And no - I don't have an artificial hip ;-)

Yet :-(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back