Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another new toy arrived

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
This was amongst the latest delivery, sadly its for the construction boys to destroy.

IMG00408-20120109-1146.jpg

IMG00409-20120109-1147.jpg

"Destroy" might be a strong word. I believe they might "suitably modify" it to a point when it's Functionally Unable to Complete its Task.

Spoke to some guys who were involved in the building of Ulusaba game lodge in south africa. The lodge is built on top of a rock outcrop. They told me that they bought a 70 series pickup at the start of the project to get materials up to the top. They ended up rolling the vehicle several times down the hill. Just turned it back on to it's wheels and welded / repaired the roll cage.

Below is a picture of the lodge, but the picture does not do it justice on how high the outcrop is. When I stayed there many years ago, we went up the concreted road in a defender 110, in low range, and it battled almost running out of steam.

d9290f1d-c103-0e83.jpg

Just had a drive around in it, goes quite well but very small cab, not much more elbow room than a Defender!

Hi Paul,

You lucky bugger,

How does it feel having all the 'yotas to play with.
Man, swap jobs?

How does the white 120 series run?
Is it petrol or diesel?

Gra.

Right then sad muppets ;)

The engine on the new one:

IMG00411-20120109-1653.jpg

And the engine on the Prado:

IMG00410-20120109-1651.jpg

that 70 looks very nice! :drool:

never seen one of those toyota badges before though on the bonnet. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aiming reticule. :lol: All the Arabic ones have them for some reason

Middle East gunsight, Ben! Goes with the flame stripes down the side :lol: Pretty common throughout the Middle East.

EDIT: Oops, Gary wa squicker on the draw than me :violence-guntoting:

We arent allowed things like that any more over here due to regulations brought in about pedestrian safety and protruding objects on the front of cars, I think it came in at the same time as the bull bar regs. Its why jags dont have the leaping Jaguar any more and the Merc badges fold over.

I've got one of those Toyota bonnet 'badges' sitting here on my desk, haven't got round to fitting it yet, I think it would be legal as the bit that sticks up is sprung loaded so if anything hit it it would fold back out of the way.
IIRC Rolls Royce had to do that with the Ladies on their bonnets to make them legal, either that or they retracted inside the bonnet :think:
I think the Mercedes ones are sprung loaded too :think:

I might be wrong, but in the middle east surely the danger to pedestrians is the 155mm howitzer cabled-tied to the back end, rather than the bonnet ornament.....

Pete

Yep RR Sprit of Ecstasy lady disapears inside the grill if you give her a poke! Don't ask how I know this..... she'll also try & take your fingers off if your not careful!!

So they still make brand new IHDT's then?

They still make the 1HZ, not sure about the turbos

Paul said:
Just had a drive around in it, goes quite well but very small cab, not much more elbow room than a Defender!

I got to play in one of these whilst in Namibia this dec.

DSC_0875.jpg

Can't say I noticed a lack of elbow room. Think this may have been due to the chipped 4.0 V6 witha 3" S/S F/Flow being conducive to playing with the load pedal, alot.
:auto-layrubber:

Gotta say these vehicles are awesome. It. would be, IMHO the ultimate base vehicle for a expedition build.

Just had to give the driver some driving lessons as he got stuck in the sand in the first 100m. Being selectable 4wd and no diff locks makes it tricky to drive.

Just had another 200 turn up in blue, bored with seeing new cruisers now so cant be bothered to take a pic.

You're right, i could do with a laugh :lol:

Paul said:
I would have to strongly disagree with that. :naughty:
When you have one of each next to each other you will see the 7* series has much more elbow room than a Defender.
When I sit in a Defender my right upper arm touches ( squashed might be a better term) against the door sill,but in my 75 series I have 2-3 inches of clearance.
All this is because Landrover persist in fitting the oversize consul between driver and passenger,if it was a bit smaller,the seat could moved to the centre and the Defender would be much more comfortable.

The 7* could do with more leg room though

Paul said:
Just had to give the driver some driving lessons as he got stuck in the sand in the first 100m. Being selectable 4wd and no diff locks makes it tricky to drive.

They will fly through soft sand if you let the tyres down to under 20 psi.
Difflocks dont help much in sand because once the vehicle has a wave of sand in front of the tyre,nothing will make it go forward without a lot of strain on drive train.
Deep soft sand can really overheat the gearbox and transfer case if you have 40 psi in the tyres.
Deflating the tyres will keep the vehicle above the sand.
Most of African and Australian deserts were traversed in 2wd with soft tyres long before 4wds became available.

Back