Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any difference between LHD and RHD headlights?

t00manyusers

Country Flag
united_arab_emirates
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the 1994 80s had different LHD and RHD market headlights? In modern cars, the optics are different and can be identified with right-> or <-left arrows stamped on the healight body, which identifies what market the car was manufactured for. I can't seem to find this on mine, and it's a LHD for a LHD traffic market. I need to determine if I need to replace the headlights or not if I wanted to move the car to a RHD market... anyone has any experience with this? I can get Japanese JDM headlights for the same generation car, but I don't know if this is necessary, or if I just adjust them to point another way.

Thanks!

Definitely yes. I had to change my UK headlights to those suitable for Spain, the reflectors and glasses are different, I got complete units from DEPO in Germany and they bolt right in. They normally only sell the units with no levelling motors, if yours has the motors then you can swap them in but be warned it is not a five minute job and not as straightforward as you would think it to be.

Regards

Dave

Hang on, I'm confused. You're mentioning levelling motors - are we talking about the 80 series here? Anything with any sort of motor is indeed likely to need new lights (as they're probably "new" and "fancy" enough to have directional beam patterns and all that good stuff), but my lights can basically be adjusted with a hammer if I'm not mistaken, so I'm very much unaware of any sort of motors in them. Are we definitely talking about the same thing?

Dave’s answer is correct regardless of whether your headlamps have levelling motors. The beam pattern is different between LHD and RHD models and you can’t change that with the adjustment screws.

Dave’s answer is correct regardless of whether your headlamps have levelling motors. The beam pattern is different between LHD and RHD models and you can’t change that with the adjustment screws.
I see. I’m aware this is the case for anything in the last 20 years, but I was just confirming this was the case for older cars that may not have had much of a beam pattern and more of a bright forward facing lamp :D But noted. I’ll source some RHD lights to be safe.

My 80 is a 1994 model as per yours, it does have leveling motors on the outer dip/main beams, it's only when you compare the headlights on a vertical white wall in the dark can you see the beam divert to the correct side of the road, and as per @Beastrider you cannot move the light direction to the correct side of the road with the adjustment screws. It shows how far we have come in such a short while, many cars automatically change the beams according to where you are when you start the car, the vehicles location being detected by GPS. Back to the 80, I think the leveling motors were fitted by Toyota due to the softer ride the 80 gives you when not loaded, once loaded up and given the length of the car the headlight beam height often needs 'trimming', I am unsure if all models of the 80 had this electric option or not, if not then perhaps if you are often moving between an empty vehicle or a heavily loaded one it might be best to set the beams so they are a little lower when empty to compensate?

As an asides, if like me when swapping the motors into your new headlight mark the lenses and reflectors when taking them out, I got distracted and ended up putting a UK dip/main beam reflector but the correct glass onto the European headlamp, there was no beam pattern and just a 'ball' of light on my beam setting 'wall', I cannot remember it too clearly but am guessing the reflector is slightly different as well? FWIW they are marked L and R from the factory, so completely my fault, given you have to dismantle the entire light again to change the reflector, and you plan to swap in the leveling motors (assuming you have them), then just take your time and mark everything as you take them apart, as per my earlier post it is not a five minute job.

I hope that helps explain everything?

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Super. Thanks very much, that’s very detailed and helps me. I’m moving a GCC car to a RHD country, so was trying to figure out the specifics :) I actually have no idea whether I have levelling motors - was an assumption on my side considering age, but wow, if yours does it maybe so does mine. I’ll check. I wonder if the harnesses are in place to retrofit in case they’re not already there. Not sure why I’d want more electrics, but hey, if it’s an option that exists and I don’t have it … I feel like I need it!

If your question relates to importing the vehicle then you will be OK with LHD lights for the MoT with tape or beam benders applied to correct the beam. It is only vehicles under 10yrs old requiring an IVA that this is not approved.

If your question relates to importing the vehicle then you will be OK with LHD lights for the MoT with tape or beam benders applied to correct the beam. It is only vehicles under 10yrs old requiring an IVA that this is not approved.

I think I would double check that information with the authorities? Whilst it would be right to say they (beam deflectors) are OK for travelling for example on a holiday so a temporary 'fix' but I am not sure that imported vehicles for permanent use in the UK or into any other country in or out of the EU are allowed to use the beam deflectors, I may be wrong but it is a definite 'no way' here in Europe.

Regards

Dave

Super. Thanks very much, that’s very detailed and helps me. I’m moving a GCC car to a RHD country, so was trying to figure out the specifics :) I actually have no idea whether I have levelling motors - was an assumption on my side considering age, but wow, if yours does it maybe so does mine. I’ll check. I wonder if the harnesses are in place to retrofit in case they’re not already there. Not sure why I’d want more electrics, but hey, if it’s an option that exists and I don’t have it … I feel like I need it!

You should have a rotary control on the dashboard of you have the harness, either way a lot of 80's seem to have common harnesses, so you may well have the wiring there?

Regards

Dave

I think I would double check that information with the authorities? Whilst it would be right to say they (beam deflectors) are OK for travelling for example on a holiday so a temporary 'fix' but I am not sure that imported vehicles for permanent use in the UK or into any other country in or out of the EU are allowed to use the beam deflectors, I may be wrong but it is a definite 'no way' here in Europe.

Regards

Dave
I ran my FJ like this as the importer charged me to swap the headlights, then told me they didn’t need to as they were “central”. 3 yrs later MoT brings it to light and I ran with beam benders for 5yrs legally

I ran my FJ like this as the importer charged me to swap the headlights, then told me they didn’t need to as they were “central”. 3 yrs later MoT brings it to light and I ran with beam benders for 5yrs legally
I would not disagree with that, this is a grey area for sure in the UK, I purchased a Camaro back in the early 80's, it had just been imported and the old OE headlights to suit driving in the states were in the boot. So perhaps it depends on the tester at the time on how he interprets the rules? I have never heard of 'central' headlights in the UK? The fact that the tester pointed it out to you tells that the importer was possibly wrong or regulations changed, and then being able to run with beam changers year after year shows you how vague the regulations were. and perhaps still are?

Of note, my 80 approaches 27 years old? It's inspection remains yearly, my work van however now being over 10 years old has to have an inspection every six months as it is a commercial vehicle, but then so does other classification of vehicles, a seven seat Kia Carnival for example the same model exists in the UK but I cannot recall the name, the same for the Renault Kangoo, and the smaller Citroen's, in this case the fact that the two doors open and the seats fold down it can become a commercial vehicle. You can go through the paperwork and get it 'de registered' and that used to cost a fortune, but now apparently 'some' models it is quite simple and cheap. The 80 however despite the removable seats will fail with them not fitted at the time of the test, and to get around this I would have to jump a set of expensive hoops.

Just be careful if some throws open a parked car door and you hit it......without a camera or independent witness.......it will be your fault!

I have lived here for around 16 years and doubt I will ever get my head around the regulations.....ever!

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Dave, indeed no such thing as central headlights…they ripped me off!

Back