Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Apple CarPlay - fitting a Pioneer SPH-DA120 in an LC4

Vegoil Jo

Country Flag
england
Hi guys,

I spent the weekend fitting a Pioneer SPH-DA120 in my 2005 LC4 (120 series). This is the model that turns the head unit into an extension of your iPhone.

After-market parts for us Landcruiser lovers are very hard to find and so, as you'd imagine, this unit is NOT designed to fit my car. Similarly there's no faceplate available on the market to help me fit one. As such I had to make my own.

I've placed a video on YouTube about this. It's not an in depth how-to type vid, it's more an overview, plus me having a play with the unit to see what it does. I just wanted to show anyone who's interested that we can get good gear in our Landys if we put a bit of thought into it. Here's the video...

http://youtu.be/O6COtsXzzyE

All I would say to anyone thinking of this is that you do need to purchase the Toyota Audio Wiring kit if you're upgrading from an older model (like my LC4) with factory standard equipment. It's just a simple plug-in affair. Other than that it's just careful cutting, a bit of creative thinking, and standard refitting.

I hope it's helpful to someone out there.

That's cool Jo, enjoyed it a lot! You've done a good job there.

I like the USBs, in my old 80 I have an empty aperture that was intended for a sliding tray type cup holder which the service broke when they had to remove part of the dash.

A Mr.T replacement is mega bucks so I want to fit a bank of USBs in there, instead. The number plate idea is good, but sadly here our plates are embossed aluminium, so I need to come up with a plan B.

Only one question, how did you wire the USBs from a 12V supply?

Keep 'em commin" Jo, I like these videos and your humour! :thumbup:

Nicely done. Currently considering a Kenwood DNX7250DAB unit - primarily because it has integrated GPS and runs all the Garmin maps. Glad to see it works well!

Only one question, how did you wire the USBs from a 12V supply?

Hi Clive,

I can't claim to have done anything clever I'm afraid. The Pioneer unit has two USB ports at its rear. They provide you with two leads and expect (male end goes in the unit - female end hangs free). They look like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...1420715780&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+male+to+female

I didn't like the idea of cables dangling below the dash somewhere, that's just too untidy for me (neat freak I guess), so I encased them as you saw on the vid and made a simple usb connection port. A friend who fits ICE equipment said he'd seen a similar device retailing for £80!!!!!

I guess it must have been gold-plated and encrusted with diamonds.

My FREE fix works nicely and doesn't look too shabby.

I will say this though Clive... I have another friend into RC models and he fixes EVERYTHING with car body filler... so if you could cut nice square holes to house the female end of the lead, you could support them easily where it can't be seen with filler...

*** DIMENSIONS ***

Someone has already written to me and asked for the dimensions of the Pioneer SPH-DA120, so I thought it best to make another quick video explaining what's what measurement wise...

http://youtu.be/X2oHpgCStyw

I understand now, the USBs were the inputs for the unit. I too have a dangly input USB from the back of my JVC unit, but I've dangled it diectly into the glove-box and it only has a memory stick full of music connected to it.

I'm sick of USB cigarette lighter chargers and for that reason, what I'm after is dash mounted USBs for iPhone and iPad (and other) charging, hence my question stepping down the voltage from 12V.

Im sure it's simple using resisters, but as I'm not at all electrically minded, I need some guidance on this one :icon-ugeek:

Thanks for your reply... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nicely done. Currently considering a Kenwood DNX7250DAB unit - primarily because it has integrated GPS and runs all the Garmin maps. Glad to see it works well!

Gary, I suggest you actually have a play with the Kenwood unit before you buy it. I installed a Kenwood DNN9230DAB unit to my 120, and regretted that ever since. On paper it was perfect, but it's slow, clunky buggy. Biggest mistake for a tech purchase I have ever made, so much so I will soon remove it and sell it on for probably 30-40% of its worth......

Cheers Tony. I was also thinking about the DNN9250DAB so that's a good heads up. They're both damn expensive so I'll rethink.
/hijack ;)

I've had a pioneer unit in my 90 for 6 years with usb iPod control and it has been fantastic. Use the remote for everything. But then the advantage in the 90 is the space is made for a standard double din unit. But I would recommend pioneer for reliability and functionality.

IMAG0266.jpg

I've had a pioneer unit in my 90 for 6 years with usb iPod control and it has been fantastic. Use the remote for everything. But then the advantage in the 90 is the space is made for a standard double din unit. But I would recommend pioneer for reliability and functionality.

That's good to hear Bob, thanks. If you saw my Radio Removal video, you might have noticed I actually took out one of those cheap after market units you get on eBay... NO BRAND... sure it worked well, for six months, then the screen started losing colours and it turned out the sat nav was using pirate software. I got my money back, but BUYER BEWARE. Stick with a named brand... ideally from a place you can easily return it to.

*** PARKING SAFETY CABLE ***

I've had another question about the Pioneer SPH-DA120... what do you do with the Parking Brake Safety wire? Is there a bypass?

The simple answer is just ground it. Worked perfectly for me. Anyone needing a slightly more involved answer is welcome to look at this YouTube video I made. Hope it helps : http://youtu.be/X1FYl_7Ades

I understand now, the USBs were the inputs for the unit. I too have a dangly input USB from the back of my JVC unit, but I've dangled it diectly into the glove-box and it only has a memory stick full of music connected to it.

I'm sick of USB cigarette lighter chargers and for that reason, what I'm after is dash mounted USBs for iPhone and iPad (and other) charging, hence my question stepping down the voltage from 12V.

Im sure it's simple using resisters, but as I'm not at all electrically minded, I need some guidance on this one :icon-ugeek:

Thanks for your reply... :thumbup:

What about this as a solution?
USB charger that fits into the standard Toyota switch space? I'm thinking about getting one for the 4RUnner as they mount quite neatly:
10403678_10155177826060150_4906393068245057333_n.jpg

$_57.JPG

They're all free postage, so not much sense in doing a group buy on them...

(Sorry it appears a bit spammy, I've copied it from another forum I loiter on, where a few of us own Toyotas.... even though it's not a Toyota site... it's a bloody Volvo site!)

What about this as a solution?
USB charger that fits into the standard Toyota switch space? I'm thinking about getting one for the 4RUnner as they mount quite neatly:
Tried that link but it says seller doesn't post to the UK. Bugger
EDIT
Never mind I've found another who does post to the UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-2-1A-...912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4c929058
EDIT again
I've found another a bit more expensive but it has a cap to keep dust out, may go for this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-2-1A-...452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d3a3d594

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what prompted this model rather than the AVH-X8600BT for example?? There doesn't seem to be a huge price difference, but quite a functional difference?

And as for the dual USB charger the Blue Seas one is excellent and not terribly expensive

See ebay item 221516845415

Last edited:
Dear Vegoil. I have just purchased my first Land Cruiser VIN:JTEBZ29JX00136041 and this is fitted with the original cd+tape recorder radio. I want to install the Pioneer SPH-DA120 like you. Are there still no aftermarket fitting kits available to your knowledge? Are you selling the kits I need?

Hello All, new here. I have a J95 VX which Ive had a Pioneer unit fitted to. Been brilliant. Unfortunately the chassis is giving up and it may be terminal. Thinking of getting a J120 but want to fit the Pioneer. The one I’m looking at has this dash. Will the Pioneer work with it?

Attachments

• 119E90B3-0073-4ED5-9326-D2283A8CB074.jpeg
    119E90B3-0073-4ED5-9326-D2283A8CB074.jpeg
    855.3 KB · Views: 21
That looks like an LC5 and I think it's difficult to fit ordinary double DIN headunits in those, because the existing touchscreen controls more than the radio

Back