Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB Locker

Dave Docwra

Hi, Has anyone any experience of a ARB locker fitted to the front of an 80 series?

Probably not a very common thing on an 80, especially in the UK. We have experience of them on 100's though which is essentially the same diff in a different case for the IFS.

Dave Docwra said:
Hi, Has anyone any experience of a ARB locker fitted to the front of an 80 series?

Yep, I have lockers both front and rear on my 80.

Whaddaya need to know?

Not sure what my best option is, wether to try sourcing a Toyota locker or fitting an ARB, the ARB would be the easiest option I pressume as I have no shaft or casing issues, assuming the front casing has to be machined to accept a Toyota locking diff.

Have you had any issues with your ARB lockers?

Have you tried to source a front axle c/w locker & just do a straight swap Dave?

Dave, had no problems with lockers, nor the compressor that drives them. Have used them a few times and other than ocassionally they take a while to disengage, no issues.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Olazz, Thanks that good information to know, the only concern I have is the air pipe, but I suppose the electric cable could get damaged just as easy.

Hi Gav, Have tried a couple of people about an axle, but they did not get back to me, The people in devon have not responded either about the ARB, I will have a phone round when I get back.

Thanks.

Have you asked Karl on here?

Dave Docwra said:
I will have a phone round when I get back.
Where're you off? Anywhere exciting?? ;)

Buying a locked axle to swap over should work out cheaper than an ARB but only if the actuator is working ok. The fronts don't play up very often but rears may be DOA. Make sure you get the right gear ratios in the diff as they're different between manual and auto. If you go ARB the HD air pipe kit is worth having IMO.

Gav, I have emailed awaiting reply, In Cape Town avoiding the Snow, now suffering heat stroke, I am never happy either too cold or too hot , such a winge bag.

Jon, I will bare that in mind about the HD air kit, Are all Autos the same ratio.

Thanks

I don't know for sure what ratio the petrol models have but the diesel autos have the same ratio i.e. didn't change for different years and they're 4.1 .

Guys, can an axle from a diesel with a manual gearbox be used by changing over the crown wheel & pinion from mine?

Yeah, we've stopped talking to you now we know where you are & complaining about it Dave!!! :lol:

Thats me, never happy I have turned into a right whinge bag in my middleish age, never mind back to good old blighty in the morning hope its not too cold, see there I go again.

Dave Docwra said:
Guys, can an axle from a diesel with a manual gearbox be used by changing over the crown wheel & pinion from mine?
You'd need to compare part numbers to make sure the ring and pinion are interchangeable. I suspect they will be, but best to make sure. I don't have a VIN for an unlocked 80 to check for you.

Hi Jon, Could you please check if the planetry gear assembly with the part No 41311 & also if the axle casing is part No 43110 on a front locking axle.

Thanks Dave.

A part number is usually 10 digits in two groups of 5, so you need to give me more numbers :)

Thanks you are right, axle case 43110-60370 & Carrier 41331-60060

Cheers Dave.

Your axle casing part no. is for a none locking front axle, you need 43110-60390 to get the version suitable for a locking diff. The part no. 41331-60060 is for a rear diff side gear on a 100 or 200 series?

Back