Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Box Dead!!!!!!

L18 CGL

Garage
Ok so my signifient other was driving my truck last week. She was driving along and noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet but thought this was okay!!!! she then noticed the A/T Temp light flashing away at her but still thought this was just fine!!!!!! then she noticed it starting to drive funny to the point where at 3500RPM she was only able to manage 5-10 mph but still she thoiught this was just fine!!!!

Bottom line is she drove aprox 3-4 miles from when it started leaking the oil. I located the leak its the pipe going to the radiator at the front of the block has a small nik in it prob £3 would haqve fixed it had she stopped when she noticed the smoke. I put a few litres of oil in it but it will only crawl forward and won't reverse so bottom line is I think it *beep*!

My dilema is I always said if my box went I would convert it to manual. However I recently purchased a 94 Jap Spec Cruiser which is Auto and has just run out of MOT.
The spare one that I bought is in good nik needs a down-pipe, 1x tyre and passenger side front diff seal. It drives perfect and has a few extra's like swing away carrier on it. I did intend to sell this on but am now considering breaking it. Was sort of money is it worth to break its 94 with 191k on it engine is perfect and it has ABS but no diff locks?

Or do i just sell the spare one on and convert mine to manual???????

sounds very much like she's killed the clutch plates. Putting a manual in will mean you need to swap the diffs as well not just the box, they use different ratios and a manual will rev higher with auto diff gears. Others on here can advise you on value of the import but I suspect you'd be best fixing up the import and selling it and just find a 2nd hand box to fix this one.

Yeah Jon I had figured the manual would hurt the ratio's especially on 35's. How much would a 2nd hand box be? The spare one I have is identiacal to my own except mine is silver and its green. If the spare one wasn't worth that much I would just keep it for a donor car and then I would have a full car to steel bits off :cool:

I'm a bit out of the loop on 80 series parts prices but you could try contacting Karl or Stef, someone is bound to chip in with their contact details, see how much they charge for a box?

if you are looking for a replacement auto box i have one or two, you can have the gearbox with or without transfer box, comes complete with torque converter, and i have both 3 speed and 4 speed boxes. or we could do a deal on part ex your import.

Of course I am biased and prefer a manual, I have seen manuals and autos with the same ratios, if you have the taller ratios and do not tow then I would not worry too much about the ratios, of course seriously bigger tyres and I would have to rethink my reply.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats not good reading Glen.

Obviously you have my number if you decide what way you need to go with it. I have variously boxes etc. Feel free to call me whenever mate.

Back