Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto gear lever, select movement

bones

I was messing about with my lever and heard a weird noise and now when in park you can wobble it left to right like a manual car. Just wondering if I have snapped something by accident and if so before I take it apart has anyone else done such a stupid thing?

Either the nylon collar has broken, but the usual thing is the plunger and spring pops out, and you end up with a floppy stick. There is a mod that I and many others have done with a different length new spring and plunger from a guy on PradoPoint. Some say cut appropriate size drill bit shank and refit, but why bother when the other parts are made for the job for under a tenner IIRC.
Search back in 120 series, Floppy gearstick/shift.

The bits came very quickly, and it took longer to get the trim off than do the job which took about 5 minutes. Check the collar isnt cracked/broken while your in there.
Usually you will find the plunger out completely, just lying there when you get the top off, leaving the spring to hook out of its hole.
Make sire you grease the parts and the gate well before 're asssembly.

Okay, thanks for the tips I'll try and get it apart and have a look at it this week. Tow bar fettling this week.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welded up the rear corners of the chassis since the rear bumper was off as I noticed there was a bit missing and vacuumed out the chassis of dried mud. I left a bit off the bottom plate to let stuff out in the future. As for tow electrics I haven't looked into it, the tow bar came with electrics kit and a small black box. I need to find out about wiring harnesses etc.

The small black box is probably the relay. You can buy a toyota dedicated plug and play wiring harness for it, £££, normally connected in the rear cubby for the jack, or splice into the various function wires at the rear end. Dont use scotchloks if you go that route, they can be a PITA for problems later on down the line. Good luck.

I have had a look and the pin has sprung out and gone walkabout and I can't find it. Can anyone tell me the standard length of the pin? I have tried to contact the Aussie fella but he isn't returning any of my emails or message on various web pages so I am going to go the drill bit way.
Pradopoint web page isn't working at the moment so can't do any research there for some reason.

One of the lads made their own (might be on the other forum), basically an drill bit cut to size, domed the head with a suitable spring, can't find the thread at the moment and i doubt the mods would be happy with me linking anyway if its the other place, but if you search using suitable words you should find the thread whichever place its at.
I seem to recall the chap in question made one which didn't work too well and revised the size/spring rate which sorted it.

IIRC, the pin was longer and the spring stiffer. It's a definate shift engagement felt in every position once done.
As Juddian says, search on tlocuk for the mod.

Bones, found that thread on the other side and Les63 made his own with good results.
Pin/plunger = 30mm long.
Spring = 20mm long.
No mention of diameter, but can be worked out by the pin/plunger hole and gate, but spring strength is a bit of guesswork with any springs you may have.

Well all is good in the world of shifters! I used a 6mm drill bit cut it down to 33mm and rounded the end, 6mm was a tad to big so put it in the lathe and got a bit of emery paper on the go. I ended up using a spring from one of those multi spring kit boxes and ended up cutting about 10mm off the length, I did try the cut down original spring but ended up using the softer spring. Happy days, I wish all jobs were that easy.
Thanks for the help though guys..

Well done Bones. Nice doing a bit of light fettling for a positive result innit ?
I take it you greased all the parts before you reassembled ?

Back