Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto gearbox knocking

dankoLC

Hi everybody.
I did a diligent search on the topic, but if any info on the subject is known to you please copy/paste here.
The problem is as follows:
It started a few months after I got the LC in 2010. It is a late 2004 120 with the 5-speed auto.
Initially it was a light knock just before coming to a full stop when driving in the city.
These days it happens almost every time I stop at a traffic light, no matter how gently I bring it to a stop. If it does not happen at stopping, it happens when I release the brake, before I press the accelerator.
It is more pronounced during summer, more so with the a/c on and while driving in the city.
It is actually not a knock but a light jerk. English is not my native language, so I might be misleading you by not using the right word.
I've been advised to stay away from Toyota in Bulgaria, especially in Sofia.
My mechanic has been following it from the start and recommends not to do anything about it.
I changed the oil last spring at a specialized gearbox shop, the guy said to go for another oil change after 10000 km. He would go on with the troubleshooting afterwards.
I drove 6 different auto gearbox cars in the last 15 years but never had something like this.
Any clues?
Thanks in advance
:confused:

i think people have had this issue when there has been too much grease in the sliding yoke in the rear prop-shaft?
i am sure someone else can advise on here soon.

Hi,

I am curious, you mention it is a 2004, and yet a 5 speed auto?

Gra.

It is unlikely the problem will be in the gearbox, more likely the drive line. Check the universal joints in the prop shafts as well as check for play in the drive flanges on the front hubs.

A quick search for 'drive-line clunk' here may help, as well as on PradoPoint.com - been discussed a lot and may be of some use to you.

Cheers

I've had that on my 120 when coming to a stop.Very slight thump as if someone bumped you.
Greased the UJs and the sliding yoke and it's not happened since.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you all! Will do and will report further. Still - any other ideas and solutions are welcome.
:clap:

Hi, I had a problem like you describe in my 04 LC5 Auto, it started off as a very faint knocking on the load and disappeared on the over run, it turned out to be the rear diff crown wheel had a few teeth missing. Hope this might be of some help.

Gary

It sounds like a good inspection and change of fluids of the front, centre and rear diffs (if they haven't been done recently) along with greasing up all the UJs would be a good place to start.

Mike

Back