Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AUTO TRANSMISSION FILTER CHANGE

kamalsrana

Garage
Country Flag
kenya
Hello chaps,

I have just done the Auto Transmission Filter change on my 100 IFS.

I have done about 90,000 Miles and I never knew that a filter existed in the autobox which is supposed to be changed every 25,000 Miles. Now a friend of mine who drives a E240 Merc, had experienced slippage on his auto box and a very experienced mechanic (Rally Driver) said that if we change the filter and oil, the problem might dissapear, if the car has not been dragged for too long.

Surprisingly when he changed the filter and oil on the Merc, the problem went away, Its as good as new and no slippage remains.

I had no slippage on my LC100 IFS, but, I thought that if a filter system exists in my Auto GBox, I cannot take a chance and need to change it immediately as I have never done so.

So, Pics below will hopefully show the process:-
First, buy a filter from toyota original part.
This is what it looks like
IMG_0230.jpg

You must ensure that no dust or dirt can get onto the gearbox when open, so turn off all blower heaters when working. First drain the Auto Trans mission and leave it overnight to empty completely, Remove the under guards and then open the 19 bolts holding the sump to the gearbox and you will see the sludge at the bottom with 4 magnets,
IMG_0221.jpg

The filter is a metal one and its held by 4 bolts and looks like this
IMG_0228.jpg

Undo the 4 bolts and remove the filter from the gearbox, mine looked this filthy
IMG_0249.jpg

Refitting is a reversal of the removal, but, you have to clean off the old sealant, Ensure that you have a clean tray or some sort of pan in which to clean the sump pan, we used a mix of diesel and petrol to clean all the sludge and the 4 magnets at the bottom of the pan were also cleaned and all shards removed with a dry tissue, The gasket on the sump must be removed very carefully, with a blade and a circular wire brush is what we used, got some light scratches, but are easily covered with the sealant
IMG_0246.jpg

I used Wynnes gasket sealant, capable of handling a temperature of 236 Deg Cent. Toyota wanted to sell me a sealant, which alone would have cost £70.00, this is also pretty good
IMG_0254.jpg

Good post, I might change mine next time I do an oil change. I think every 90k is probably a more sensible interval than 25k though.

Is this a similar procedure on the 80?

Is this only on the petrols then?

Very similar thing to the 80. I just reverse washed mine out with petrol and anything else I could find :lol: then put some ATF in it once it dried off.. Have a good look inside and you can see if it's blocked anywhere. The outside and bottom of the pan do get pretty gooky, but I don't think that affects the overall running that much. It's probably more a strainer than a filter in reality. Obviously blocking the strainer will make a difference.

Just nice to get things all cleaned and put right.

Chris

It is just a strainer but they can still get a bit gunged up with old clutch plate material so a clean up or replace seems like a good idea to me. I will replace just because that's simpler than trying to get at all the mesh properly through those little holes to clean it.

Petrol / Diesel / 80 / 100's they all have the same basic idea but slightly different part.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How much are these roughly. Jon may have a point. I have to drop my bottom soon, ATF change, clean up and swap the throttle cable for one that isn't jammed half the time.

Chris

Chris said:
How much are these roughly
I haven't checked how much they are in a post Rubie Imports world, maybe kamalsrana will say how much his was? More than we think they should be I expect!

Hello chaps,

I had purchased a load of stuff from Toyota, now I think I paid about £20 +vat quid for the filter, need to dig up the paperwork though.

Not expensive, but, can help protect the autobox.

You will find that Toyota will want to sell you the sealant for the sump, about £70, you can use the Wynnes high temp one.

Its a couple of hours job, no more, provided you have drained the oil the night before, its good practice to do this in a clean dust free environment, as Toyota was saying I have to keep it clinically clean, I dont know why they were so shook, unless they wanted to charge me another mortgage and I was slipping away.

I also greased the props and other points and mate, she drives like a dream now, so smooth and the gearbox feels on point.

Make sue that no gearbox oil drips into your eyes, when you are going to reinstall you will need to look up at the holes to line em up, wear some protection and a bandana on your head.

Good luck guys, its a do-able job just need to excercise cleanliness.

Excellent info. I have just added this to the "things to do" list :thumbup:

I rang my local stealers today and was told the filter is £104.10 +VAT :o

It can wait till next month :roll:

And remind me just how much is a can of brake cleaner?

Chris

Hello Ecoman,

Do you want me to get the from Toyota for you?

Its definetly not £104 quid from Toyota main dealers.

Check again and let me know I will get that ordered for you and you can arrange collection with me.

Regards
Kamal.

I have been continually having issues with my local dealership when it comes to finding parts and accurate pricing. As an example they swore blind that my 2001 GX Hilux pickup did not come with a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser. I explained that it had and it was genuine Toyota, I eben had the original brochure stating this. The told me I was mistaken and couldn't help me with finding a new key fob. I rang the dealers in Dundee and they confirmed what i said and told me there were 2 different key fobs and could I tell them which it was. One week later I was in their workshop having the key fob programed.

I will check again and get back to you kamal. Thanks :thumbup:

My local dealer insists that mine does not have a filter/strainer fitted as i mentioned in another thread on here.

The A442F on your 100 series will have a strainer Paul, maybe it was calling it a filter that confused them :lol:

Right after a visit to my local stealers and a lenghty look at the exploded diagrams on their parts system, I found the part they were referring to and I must admit they were correct in their part identification for my 80. The part is listed as a strainer and is held on with 4 bolts, which coincides with other images I have seen. The price works out to be somewhere around the £100 mark and the parts man said he has never sold a single one in the 20 years he has worked for Toyota, he also backed that up with a sales history report. The parts guy also added that the later model had a strainer and was recommended that it was changed at regular intervals according to the workshop service shedule task sheet. That strainer worked out to be around the £35 mark.

Is this latest info I have been given a load of crap or do you think there may be an element of truth in it? :?: :?

Ecoman said:
Is this latest info I have been given a load of crap or ...
I would have said a load of crap but I'll have to check with my dealer to be sure.

Back