Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Autobox filter

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, faced with not much else to do today, I figured that I would drop the AT sump and have a look at this here filter malarkey. No major hassles, just socket work really but very messy! All came off really easy, no signs of previous disturbance. Resealed with RTV.

The filter housing wasn't particularly dirty really. I washed it through with petrol and let it dry, then blew it out carefully with diffused compressed air. Was pretty clean when I'd done. The pan had a good sludge in the bottom which needed cleaning out and the 4 magnets had plenty of fine metal silt stuck to them. I took the opportunity to give everything, inside and out, a real good clean and polish. There was 17 year's worth of muck and solidified oil etc on the pan and the brush guard. All looking spick and span now. Ready to get it filthy tomorrow at Frickley. Hmm.

Got some pics for later if anyone is curious as to what it looks like in there. I used JW guide on fitting an extreme valve block from the sticky section to guide me. In all around 4 hours start to finish including pootling about and drinking tea. Worth doing I think if you are planning a big overland with a new vehicle that you don't know too well.. Worth knowing what's going on in there.

Chris

This is the filter housing. It's a very fine steel mesh inside a pressed steel box. Odd thing, must have been designed like this for a reason I suppose. Tricky to clean inside. 4 bolts hold it on.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Here are the 4 magernets inside the pan. You can reposition them more artistically, say in the shape of a sunflower or a nice bottom, but went with one in each corner. I sued a wire brush on the drill to get the gasket off.

photo3.jpg

Not bad for a 94 truck really. Well with the amount of dried on oil, it was never going to rust, was it.

photo4.jpg

The brush guard came up really nice. Like a new one!

photo5.jpg

Bored again now. I might start drinking a little earlier tonight. :D

Chris

Cheers buddy. Still need to hook up with you on those bits and bobs. Meant to take the AC receiver drier off today but forgot.

Chris

:text-offtopic:
Drove through Hulland today Karl on way back from Hartington, didn't see your cruiser matey ! :snooty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is Jon. And in a typically anal fashion, I have an Excel spreadsheet with just about every nut and bolt that I have tackled. Couple of jobs to do / investigate still, but it's getting damn near to as good as new.

Should I be thinking about putting it on E-bay?

Chris

Sort the bits if your around sun chris :thumbup:

Should av called for a bru nick. Im just on the estate off the main drag through :thumbup:

karl

Well, Sunday might be off road at Holymoorside Karl :dance: :dance:

I will let you know. It's the Suzuki Club, but I know someone there who's said that hey don't mind some more people. Helps spread the cost. Plus I have a winch!

Chris

No worries then mate. Prob do what we usually do then if your going past mine you can pick up when is good for you :thumbup:

I was suggesting that you came for a drive at Holymoorside!

But I can always swing by your place at some point to pick up bits and post tokens through your door. Just let me know in a mail at some point what bits you have and what you want for them Fella.

C

Above Chatsworth. Eastmoor, near Beeley on the moors.

Chris

:wave: :thumbup: Chris, "me me me me me" :character-spongebobdance: :character-spongebobdance: :character-spongebobdance: :character-spongebobdance: : I wanna play :pray: :pray: :pray:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Not to far.........

Got stuff to do.......

Is my truck up to it.......

Temptation may be to strong to resist mate :D

Hello Chris
I`ve just done my autobox filter and re sealed with the same stuff as you ,could I ask how long you left it to cure ,set , before you re-filled with atf ,as on some sites its saying for full strength upto 20 days :shock: I was hoping to re-fill it before tomorrow morning,

Fill it up now, Mick :mrgreen: The RTV sets quite quickly and it's not a "strength" item - the bolts holding the cover in place take the load. The gearbox isn't under pressure (it has a breather, remember) so the RTV is just there to form a perfect seal.
I used it when working on my t/case and filled it up within the hour with no leaks! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Thanks Andrew
I`ve left it overnight as it happens but good to know for future reference :thumbup:

Back