Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Autobox persistent problem help pls

CARROT CRUNCHER

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

I post very little as my truck behaves very well (normally) but it is having autobox problems. I have read the relevant threads on this site and have had both 1st & 2nd shift solenoids replaced and the valve body checked but problem persists. This being the physical sensation of the throttle being obstructed as though the rubber floor mat was jammed under it & preventing it from being fully depressed, plus 1st to 2nd changes erratic and rough. The work has been carried out by a pro auto transmissions firm with a good rep but they are scratching their heads on this one. Note that the truck is a 96 4.5 petrol with the A442F box.

The throttle position and kick down sensors have been electronically tested and I have been told that they are both showing the right amperage's etc, also there is no stretch on the throttle cable. When in P or D the throttle and revving is smooth as silk so it has to be the box but what the bloody hell is it.

Now I know that there are some veritable geniuses on here so your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have been gradually getting the truck to where I want it mechanically and cosmetically so when/if this is sorted I weill get some pics together and post them.

Thanks in advance, I hope.:thumbup:

Above the starter on the side of the engine block is a wireing loom that is known to give box problems. bad connections on multi plugs. however just noticed yours is petrol but you must still have the loom

Do the petrol models have a kick down cable like the diesels? Those can corrode and go sticky giving the symptoms you describe.

It looks like joinerman's fix has worked as box now smooth as silk. Thanks a lot, obviously not just a pretty face!

Don't know about the kick down cable I was too busy enjoying the result but I will find out.

No problem, invoice is in the post, lol, good job i have stayed on the forum following the reluctant sale of my beloved 80

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back