Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic Gearbox Separate Inter-Cooler, do they really work?!

Good to know. it also cuts down on the different metals in the cooling system. now to find out if the rad fits the older ones.:think:

I guess a quick troll of ToyoDiy would determine if the rads for the KZJ and the KDJ had different part numbers.

They did indeed list different part numbers for earlier and later models. I wonder what happened from 06/1999 to 07/2000 though?! Theres a whole years gap there!

16400-67140 (04/1996 - 05/1999) 1 € 510.56
16400-67141 (08/2000 - 08/2002) 1 € 580.58

Last edited:
Blocked rad. Damn, wish I'd mentioned that.

Was it mentioned then?

Luckily it was already on my to do list as I must have missed that :shifty: :whistle: :icon-biggrin:

Considering the state of the radiator it's amazing that I never suffered from engine overheating while up in Wales, but this seemed to hold its own over the weekend according to the new digital temperature gauge. The ATF cooling is the thing that requires the attention and I'm still undecided as wether to relocate the separate oil cooler or just reconnect the ATF flow back to the base of the radiator :think:

Last edited:
Steve,

If you mount the cooler facing the side, the upper should be the inlet and the outlet should be at the bottom. Hot inlet top, cold outlet bottom.....
I have just bought this B&M Supercooler https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bmm-70274/overview/
I realise heat rises but all the reading I have done recently suggests if fitting the cooler with the connections on the side, the inlet should be at the bottom and the outlet at the top....

Anyone have any advice as to what IS the correct way?

When the coolant cools down in the radiator, it's specific weight increases, and the coldest coolant falls to the bottom of the radiator. If your engine's coolant-pump pumps the coolant in the opposite direction, from down to up, it will struggle against gravity. The pump will probably manage just fine, but it is a bit pointless. You might also get an internal circulation in the rad, where some of the cooler coolant drops to the bottom and some of the warmer coolant is pumped out from the top into the engine. I suggest a scientific research on the matter, or just follow the basic laws of nature. Of course, if your coolant is water and works in the area of zero to plus 4 centigrade only, it would be better to have the return to the engine at the top. Otherwise: return to engine from the bottom.

Edit: I see now that this thread is specific for atf-coolers. Does that change the recommended direction of flow? Is cooler oil not heavier than hot? This illus is stolen from The Engineering Toolbox:
Lubricating_oil_density_temperature_C.jpg

Lubricating_oil_density_temperature_C.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Okay.... just spoke to a friend of mine (who I had forgot about when making the above post), he builds rally cars for a living. He says if mounting the cooler with the connections on the side it should be inlet at the bottom and return at the top.
He explained having the inlet at the top could result in airlocks in the cooler which could result in it being less efficient.

Back