Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic Transmission Failure

Moe

Country Flag
qatar
Hello LC members!

I own a 2006 Landcruiser V6 AT. I was driving in the desert the other day and out of a sudden the transmission stuck on the 1st gear barely shifting to 2nd. I went off the sand dune and checked the ATF level and all was ok. Tried to test drive it but with no luck, even putting it on "D" or "R" is like having it on neutral. I towed the car immediately to my home.

Today I got shocked, turned on the engine and started driving it around my area and the transmission was shifting to all gears smoothly. But once the transmission heated up after 15 minutes, I heard a whining noise getting louder with accelerating. What the problem could be?

I don't want to overhaul the transmission quickly because it might be a simple problem with the sensors. Any tips?

You could try replacing filter(s) and fluids and see what it looks like? Might even cure the problem. Not sure if this model suffers from coolant migrating via the radiator into the gearbox cooler but no doubt someone here will know.

99% certain you have a built in oil cooler in the radiator and it's showing typical signs it's failed, best bet is to check the coolant and ATF fluid, flush the ATF fluid and replace it with new stuff and replace the radiator, but do investigate. The tranny is pretty robust so should be fine after a flush and refill before a mechanic over there tries to sell you a new one :)

Thank you StarCruiser and jbecks for your feedback. I'll try to check out the cooler, ATF, change the fluid and get back to you with the result.

Automatic transmission shifting delay

Dear friends , I recently bought a LAND CRUISER GXR 2006 model one month back, noticed that RPM is reaching more than 3000 while I am driving nearly 110-120 kms/h ,changed transmission oil filter immediately after getting the advise from a mechanic but still I am facing the same problem.Is it normal? or Problem in 5th gear. Please guide me to solve this problem

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 2006 100 runs at 2200rpm at 120kmh in 5th gear on the road if that helps

VX100

Back