Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic transmission fluid change

Please i am new here and in no way am i trying to teach more experienced people than me what to do. I had a M class Mercedes and was spoilt because of all the electronics, it virtually told you when to take a pee, it had tha many warning lights

By coincidence I got very involved in an M class transmission recently that appeared to be slipping between gears, there were a number of faults shown on my diagnsostic gear however, none were picked up and flagged by Mercedes own fault detection system built into the car, and there is no transmission fluid level warning light or sensor. Mercedes call this a 'sealed for life' transmission, service life it seems is circa 150,000 -180,00 miles, how ridiculous is that?

The valve chest was modified, and a new speed sensor plate fitted, and now all good. Interesting that the early models had sump and torque converter drain plugs, this later model did not have a drain in the TC.

You can drain by confirming which cooler pipe connects to the radiator cooler on most cars, feed into a bottle with known level marks. With the engine idling you can have a helper pour new oil in as you monitor the bottle, this still leaves the transmission filter so perhaps a future method once the filter has been changed, and then no need to open the transmission for many years to come.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Its me again, unless you have a picture or a video of this, then im an idiot for not understanding what is obvious to many people, im really sorry, but i still dont understand, its no you its thick old me.

While you’re under your truck Mike, cursing that diff filler plug, have a look along the top of the axle casing. You will find a small hose tail screwed into the top with a short length of what looks like rubber fuel type hose attached to it that goes up in a curl to one of the crossmembers. Probably. On the end of it there’s a little fitting called a breather valve. This is the breather for your rear axle. When in use the axle casing changes temperature and the fluid within expands and contracts and so does the metal so there will be varying pressures within the casing. These pressures if not kept between a few psi of outside can force oil past seals or conversely suck water in through seals if the axle is submerged in water. The breather if functioning correctly and not clogged will maintain this. Lots of people extend these higher up into the engine bay if they plan on doing lots of deep river crossings just to be on the safe side. There are four of them. One for each diff, one for the transfer box and one for the auto gearbox. On the 80 series auto gearbox dipstick tube there are two rubber pipes attached to a couple of barbs on the side of it which come from the auto box and the transfer box. The 105 may be different, I don’t know, but it will still have breathers.

Perhaps if you post up some photos around the area then somebody on here can identify them for you.

Last edited:
By coincidence I got very involved in an M class transmission redently that appeared to be slipping between gears, there were a number of faults shown on my diagnsostic gear however, none were picked up and flagged by Mercedes own fault detection system built into the car, and there is no transmission fluid level warning light or sensor. Mercedes call this a 'sealed for life' transmission, service life it seems is circa 150,000 -180,00 miles, how ridiculous is that?

The valve chest was modified, and a new speed sensor plate fitted, and now all good. Interesting that the early models had sump and torque converter drain plugs, this later model did not have a drain in the TC.

You can drain by confirming which cooler pipe connects to the radiator cooler on most cars, feed into a bottle with known level marks. With the engine idling you can have a helper pour new oil in as you monitor the bottle, this still leaves the transmission filter so perhaps a future method once the filter has been changed, and then no need to open the transmission for many years to come.

Regards

Dave
I never understood why Mercedes would do this until a mechanic told me it was because mercedes wnated to sel more gearboxes that they said the unit was sealed for life. I bought a dipstick, because they dont come with one, from Poland of all places for less than twenty bucks, here they wanted like a hundred. When i check the fluid it needed changing, it was a s simple as the cruiser to do.

I do really thank you guys for all your suggestions, but i think some of the things you have told me are a bit over my head. Ihave had the truck like 3 weeks and i still cant get used to a number of things. The biggest thing i am concerned with is the steering, it seems very light and floaty and it is a concern. I had an alingment done but it doesnt seem to have done much. Its ok at around 80k,s but over that is a bit sloppy, this concerns me because we are towing my sons drag car to Queensland and back, a round trip of 2500 k,s. The total weight of the car trailer and car is around 2400k, so i need to get the steering looked at, unless you guys tell me this normal. The M series had brilliant direct steering, but this is something else and i need to know if its normal.

it prob has had the suspension raised a bit, and had no caster correction, when the wheel alignment was done did they give you a paper showing before and after angles or measurements?

No the set up is bog standard. The gut didnt give me the paper just told me was out a lot. Next day i went ang fot fuel and checked the tyre pressures, the front right had 34 psi the left had 40, how can you do the job right with different tyre pressures, i bloody well told him so.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mercedes M class uses a steering rack as opposed to the 80's steering box.

The FSM has a figure for play at the steering wheel rim, the steering box is adjustable.

Don't go mad though or it will bind when turned hard left or right, this is because most wear takes place around the centre.

Regards

Dave

What have you checked and done to correct this woolly steering from the advice you have been given so far? This should really be on a suitably titled thread of its own so that you and others can find it, and where it will attract more responses.

I've came across with a new method of Automatic Gear Box oil change recently when trying to see how a complete oil change can be done on ML 270CDI year 2004.
In Germany is an Engineer, his name is Tim Eckart and he has developed a new method for gearbox flush and complete oil change. Have a look here :

https://www.automatikoelwechselsystem.de/automatic.html

Here is his email address, he is speaking English and always in 2-3 days answer to all questions concerning his method and his bench : [email protected]
Note. I do not know if he has produced and selling the bench adapters for Toyota automatic gear boxes. A question can be raised.

Its me again, unless you have a picture or a video of this, then im an idiot for not understanding what is obvious to many people, im really sorry, but i still dont understand, its no you its thick old me.

I am surprised no one has mentioned using the dip stick to check the AT fluid level, get it nice and warm and there is a warm and cold level on the dip stick, make sure you cycle through all gears for about 30 seconds each, then while the engine is still running check the dipstick and top up as needed

I am surprised no one has mentioned using the dip stick to check the AT fluid level, get it nice and warm and there is a warm and cold level on the dip stick, make sure you cycle through all gears for about 30 seconds each, then while the engine is still running check the dipstick and top up as needed
I believe it was mentioned on one of his many many threads

Back