Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aux ATF cooler configuration

Re: ATF cooler with ''Snake Oil''

Mal Eade said:
This err Snake oil is Good stuff. (AKA LubeGuard Red).... I can cast this opinion because I have tried it, and I would recommend it....
Good to see someone tried it before knocking it :thumbup:

I was Reading the poorly written kenlowe trans cooler fitting instructions last night. They said if you have aircon, not to fit the cooler in front of the condensor.

What size is it Andy? I fitted my auxiliary trans cooler on a bracket between the chassis rails.

i think want Kenlowe meant, is don't fit the kenlowe cooler using the zip-tie system they supply - to attach the cooler to the aircon condensor rad, with zipties also going through the main rad.
i will fit in front, but using brackets and it will sit a couple inches in front of the condensor

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:

On my 80 I just got a piece of 4mm plate 100mm wide and long enough to span the two forward chassis legs. I drilled 4 holes in it to lign up with the lower bumper mounting bolts and then welded two uprights to it to mount the trans cooler onto.

The result being the cooler sitting high up between the two chassis rails :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
BAt21 - is your cooler in front of the rad/condensor then?

i cant fit mine between chassis legs, as my winch sits there... so it will have to go higher up. Got plenty of steel and a welder, so i am sure i can rustle up a mounting system like yours, but higher up

i will wait until i have got new condensor fitted first though! :whistle:

No Andy it is below the rad/condenser.

My winch is mounted in the ARB bumper.

I would take a photo but, with the steering guard in place you can hardly see it.

looked into the cooler before/after rad debate today.

it terms of placement, the Kenlowe instructions that came with my cooler said - quote
"NOTE: it is not significant whether you cut your original supply or return line as the water temperature should always be lower than the oil temperature"

i thought the oil might be cooler!?

and i looked at fitting instructions for 3 other brands, they said put cooler AFTER the factory in-rad cooler!

so i will be fitting it after the RAD cooler

AndyCook said:
.... so i will be fitting it after the RAD cooler
:thumbup: that's what I did with mine.

I tried to take a photo of my cooler the other day but it is almost impossible to see without removing the steering guard :doh:

I have added aux ATF cooler after i experience rad temp overhead going uphill. Now rad temp no more overhead going uphill but ATF temp overhead.
Please help?

I suspected ATF cooler mounted too high infront of radiator.

Or size of cooler not right

Javis, have a read of post 34 here, get your self some and let us know the results.

P1010365.jpg

This is how mine are mounted between the chassis rails, the bash plate sits below the coolers.

I have since modified the pipe connections, this was a 'before' pic & I have done about 30000ks in North Africa with no probs

Andy

Last edited:
Back