Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aux ATF cooler configuration

Now you've started something Paul ;)
Sorry to hijack your thread Andrew!

Matt Wright said:
Sorry to hijack your thread Andrew!
No worries - I'm busy buying shares in auto transmission rebuilders while you guys attempt to defeat the laws of thermodynamics :p

In all seriousness, I am interested to see what difference you all notice with the red [strike:2qprv0u7]snake[/strike:2qprv0u7] sperm whale oil ;)

Andrew Prince said:
No worries - I'm busy buying shares in auto transmission rebuilders while you guys attempt to defeat the laws of thermodynamics :p
There's always one skeptic
rob.gif
;)

Andrew Prince said:
In all seriousness, I am interested to see what difference you all notice with the red [strike:36fb4gpr]snake[/strike:36fb4gpr] sperm whale oil ;)
The shifts between gears are certainly a lot smoother and as I say, I never saw the ATF temp light on once on this years Maroc trip.... my 80 has probably done 10k miles since I put it in :thumbup:

Didnt those wild west types who went from town to town selling stuff also sell hair restorer made of sperm whale oil??? :D

Seriously though, not knowing anything about the chemical composition of this stuff (or ATF), I am keeping an open mind.

My biggest concern would be that it may cause some sort of damage in the long term, by which time I may have forgotten that this stuff had been in the ATF, I am sure that the manufacturers would find some thing else to blame!!

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chaps.... all I'm saying is, when i mentioned my over heating issues in Morocco, this stuff was highly recommended by a friend who has been building automatic transmissions for a living for 30 years.

Use it.... don't use it.... makes no difference to me
kissy2.gif
comfort.gif

My skepticism is mainly to do with the claim of not needing an aux cooler if you use that stuff, not that it doesn't do any good at all. It might be just the job for a lower spec ATF or what you can find on a long journey as Matt mentioned I just struggle to believe that it reduces the heat generated by the torque converter so much that an aux cooler is redundant.

I noticed today there s a small rad in front of the engine rad, is this a standard fitting on a '96 petrol? and would that be for the gearbox ATF?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 202
Jon Wildsmith said:
My skepticism is mainly to do with the claim of not needing an aux cooler if you use that stuff, not that it doesn't do any good at all. It might be just the job for a lower spec ATF or what you can find on a long journey as Matt mentioned I just struggle to believe that it reduces the heat generated by the torque converter so much that an aux cooler is redundant.

X2.

regards

Dave

Cossack said:
I noticed today there s a small rad in front of the engine rad, is this a standard fitting on a '96 petrol? and would that be for the gearbox ATF?
Yes, Chas - that looks like an ATF cooler :thumbup: And it is probably standard fitment - it looks just like the OEM ATF cooler I have waiting to be fitted one of these days :whistle:

I had the ATF overheat light come on about 5 times in the Alps on long steep climbs. i would wait for it to cool down and go off before driving on, after leaving engine idling, heaters on full in cab and bonnet open.
then would use low range to easy load on tranmission.

bought a load more ATF to change the fluid, even though i flushed about 12l before we left on the trip.
and fingers cross the seals in the box are OK

interested to know more about fitting a temp guage to monitor the gearbox temp - can this be added to a 90-series easily
I am also going to fit a Aux transmission cooler.

combination of 32" tyres on my 4.1 ratio diffs and rooftent weight this year, is probably reason for overheating at air temps of 30-35degC, had no issues in Pyrenees last year, but it was cooler and climbs less severe compared to the Alps

Cossack said:

Got one of those little rads in my one as well chas

DSCN1150.jpg

Thanks Carl, that confirms it. I'm not used to petrols yet but learning :thumbup:

AndyCook said:
interested to know more about fitting a temp guage to monitor the gearbox temp - can this be added to a 90-series easily
I don't know about the 90 series box but more than likely you can replace the OEM over temp switch with an aftermarket e.g. VDO sender to feed a suitable gauge. You may need an adapter to go from the after market sender thread to the Toyota thread but they're usually easy to get hold of. You might also be able to T off that spot and run both.

Jon

looked at your demon-tweeks links from 70-series discussion on water monitors

they say "It is not recommended that the T piece is used for an oil temperature gauge as an inaccurate reading would result."
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... short-type

another option for me could be this: a sump plug adaptor - assuming there is clearance under the sump, i have an asfir plate as well to protect it
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... ug-adaptor

another option is to fit inline with the atf hose
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... daptor-kit

might get one of these for the coolant (like the coolant level sensor adaptor you bought)

Yep T will give a slightly low reading I expect but probably not by a massive amount. On the 100 I just replaced the OEM sender, disconnected it and put a resistor across the terminals so the ECU didn't complain about a broken sender :)

Yes, nice gauges, I was looking at the boost / EGT combo as I've not seen sensibly priced sender only options to roll my own again but that combo is even more.

ATF cooler with ''Snake Oil''

This err Snake oil is Good stuff. (AKA LubeGuard Red)

I am a believer in not knocking something until you have tried it and without trying it you can't put forward a subjective opinion.

After the steep climbs in the Pyrenees last year and the ATF light making a bright appearance several times, I looked into an extra ATF cooler.
But with talking to professional auto transmission people it was recommended that I add LubeGuard Red to the fluid.
Drained all the fluid, refilled with new and added the LubeGuard Red.

The difference was remarkable to say the least........Smooth gear changes no knocks or clonks. Took the truck to a local steep climb The Burway and popped it in 2nd gear and put my foot down all the way up. Now before when I was three quarters of the way up the ATF light would make an appearance this time no light. Turned round and did it again still no light.

Now this may well be Snake Oil or the dripping from a rocking horse's nose but it works well.

I can cast this opinion because I have tried it, and I would recommend it.
lubegardredjpg.jpg

Anyone tried Slip 50 engine oil additive or the likes of I would be glad to hear from someone who has tried it.

Mal

Back