Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auxillary autobox oil cooler.

The gearbox ECU is programmed not to lock the torque converter until a specified temperature has been reached but it's quite a low temperature. I had my 80 just running aux coolers without the in rad cooler due to a blockage and it took at bit longer to warm up. I would leave the rad cooler in circuit given the choice but I don't think you need to worry about over cooling without it unless you're in very cold conditions. I haven't priced this but I'd look to fit an OEM aux cooler, from an 80 or 100, in front of the coolant radiator, with a 10" fan on it. 80's work their box very hard, it would be hard to be OTT in keeping them cool if you visit hot places. Having low gear manual lock up and using it goes a long way towards keeping them cool.

Can sombody recommend a good thinline after market aux cooler as I will be removing my oem cooler (most likely) to make way for intercooler.

Simon, excuse what may be a stupid question but how does removing the OEM ATF cooler make space for an intercooler? The OEM cooler is part of the rad, so removing it means either carving up the rad (pointless as the rad would be kaput) or replacing the rad with an aftermarket one without the cooler. Presumably this aftermarket one is smaller to allow you to fit the intercooler. I would think that you'd want a front-mount I/C in front of the rad rather than at the bottom - I suspect I am missing something obvious here :oops:

I believe the hot climate cruisers in Aus/SA got separate (additional?) ATF coolers - is your 80 one of those? That would explain my misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Good spot Andrew - I left out the word auxillary. I'd add a smiley but isn't working on mobile.so yes, mine is additional. I know you can do without but I'm really hoping greenhouse is going to give the uk australia's weather.

SimonD said:
I'm really hoping greenhouse is going to give the uk australia's weather.
I think we get enough rain without any extra :roll: :mrgreen:

Ha ha fair point as sydney gets more rain in a year than london - just over less days. And if you saw that restaurant pontoon being demolished under a brige on the brisbane river, I've eaten there. Can't find it on google maps now - may need to look for it in Fiji.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Simon,

SimonD said:
Can sombody recommend a good thinline after market aux cooler as I will be removing my oem cooler (most likely) to make way for intercooler.

For intercooler installs we normally (re-) locate the oil cooler off to the side under the headlights behind the bumper where it is protected and there is sufficient turbulent air to do the cooling. We have brackets pre made up for this.

SimonD said:

Sorry you have lost me here, if you are fitting an 'intercooler' (to lower induction temps) why remove the OEM oil cooler unit which will be interesting as it is part of the radiator? Are you confusing the air conditioning condenser with the auto trans cooler? IMHO there is only one thing to be gained by removing (or more correctly bypassing) the trans cooler (which is inside the lower radiator tank) and that is you are removing the possiblity of the transmission oil being contaminated by coolant if the oil cooler leaks which is rare if the correct antifreeze/inhibitor mix is used. As per my previous posts, I personally prefer to have the ATF cooled by an aux cooler first and then feed it through the radiator oem unit. The point of the cooler is to keep the oil within acceptable limits to suit the transmission and in particular under arduous conditions, trawling through dunes for example is just that, arduous. Given that your engine cooling system will also be working hard in the dunes for example, why dump additonal heat into it by having the overheating transmission fluid fed directly into the radiator? By cooling the oil before it hits the rad means, a) the heat dumped into the cooling system is less, b) upon returning to normal duties i.e. plodding around the UK the transmission oil is warmed if need be by the radiator. Using this method you are indirectly using the engine thermostat to control the transmission temperature.

I only see this as a win win situation, here in Spain one of the issues is that you can be at 40 degree and simply drive inland for 45 mins or so and find yourself up a snow covered mountain with 10 degrees below! Fitting the cooler pre OEM allows for exactly this scenario, if you consider that a typical diesel engine runs at a around 80/90 degrees C and typical ATF transmission oil likes...yep you got it 80/90 degrees C then it just makes sense. There are ATF oils out there that are happy at 140.C + but that is more suitable to the more modern transmissions, the older units used in the 80 seem to be happier near the 80/100 mark.

Just my 2 euros worth.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave
As I mentioned to Andrew, I missed out the key word auxillary in my post in this thread. My 80 is one of the ones which has an oem auxillary atf cooler fitted. Not all had them but mine does. The intercooler will mean replacing this fat aux cooler with a thinner one. I remember the thread about plumbing pre and post radiator with proponents for both. You feedback is therefore welcome Dave as I want to use my truck in Spain too so always good to get real life experience.

SimonD said:
Hi Dave
As I mentioned to Andrew, I missed out the key word auxillary in my post in this thread. My 80 is one of the ones which has an oem auxillary atf cooler fitted. Not all had them but mine does. The intercooler will mean replacing this fat aux cooler with a thinner one. I remember the thread about plumbing pre and post radiator with proponents for both. You feedback is therefore welcome Dave as I want to use my truck in Spain too so always good to get real life experience.

Got it. I should also pay a little more attention which would have helped,

regards

Dave

Back