Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auxillary autobox oil cooler.

Bat21 said:
I have been thinking about the mounting fore or aft debate. Although I can see arguments for both cases, I am probably going to fit it BEFORE the main rad mounted cooler. My theory being if the ATF temperature is excessive, then this auxiliary cooler will remove the excess heat before entering the standard cooler. The standard cooler then has a better chance of 'supplying' the ATF back to the box at the required temperature.... of course my theory could be totally wrong

I have had customers that have fitted it before the factory cooler and not noticed any difference, but they have fitting it after.

In reality I seriously doubt you would ever get to the point of over cooling the oil.

Thanks Julian, that sounds good enough for me..... fitting it downstream sounds like the way to go.

For those still wondering where I acquired this gorgeous looking cooler from.... it has spent all its life lurking inside here ;)

oldrad.jpg

Jon Wildsmith said:
Nice, what's that off then?
It's the old rad from my 80.

It had been sitting in the corner of the garden destined for the local rubbish tip since I replaced it the end of last year.

Last week I decided to recover the fittings where the pipes enter and exit as I thought they might come in handy one day (as you do).

After unscrewing the fittings I decided to take an hacksaw to it to see what was inside.... out of the detritus that was festering in the bottom of the rad appeared the gorgeous little rad
bounce.gif

very interesting, wish I'd hacked the bottom out of my two 80 rads I scrapped now!

So in effect, you're going to using 2 x standard 80 series oil coolers? Obviously location and airflow may make the performance a little different but that's the concept then? Pretty neat :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
whilst that oil cooler is very pretty (and it really is), is it going to be effective enough to make it worthwhile fitting? its clear from its design that its a liquid to liquid cooler- it never had air running through it, just engine coolant. on those grounds, whilst it will of course offer some cooling, its going to cool very very badly in air- extremely inefficient with very little drop in temp. It will block air flow very very badly which could be a problem if you mount it in front of the engine engine rad.

Would it be worth considering fitting a proper air-water cooler in the first place to ensure that the work done is useful and succesful.

you could be clever and get someone to mount it in a ali box to fit in the cooland flow- alisport would do it, but it might be no cheaper than just fitting a proper laminova in the first place.

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/intro.html supply all sorts of different coolers for good money

Paul did you fit this in the end and what was the result?

SimonD said:
Paul did you fit this in the end and what was the result?
I never got around to it last year Simon. It is still on the job list as is a new 3 core rad when I can source one :thumbup:

Once done I will keep you posted.

Well looky here. What did I find in the bottom of the rad that was scheduled to go to the tip this very day?

Far too good to throw away. Might make a hydraulic winch oil cooler! If I had a hydraulic winch that needed cooling that is. Might be fun to stick it in line with the rad for extra cooling. Or maybe a heater for my roof tent!

P1000241.jpg

Chris

Hang on to it Chris ;) I may be looking for an Aux autobox cooler sometime soon to replace my oem one - making room for an intercooler :thumbup:

Not throwing out don't worry. But as has been pointed out, these really need water cooling too. They might be OK if in a good position with good airflow, but can't say for sure. Added as a secondary cooler, I'm sure it would be fine. Can't be worse, can it!

Chris

I'm keen to have a crack at this - just because I can, but looking at that very nice double cooler install, I have to ask, is there the potential to over cool the ATF. It has to get up to a certain temp before the shift pattern allows you go into top doesn't it? If the sensor relies on the fluid to trigger that cycle, might you never get there unless you really work the engine hard on a mountain pass? My preference is to fit comparable cooling to original, but to remove it from the main rad. Obviously fitting a manual rad would have been nice to increase the cooling for the engine as well I'spose. Looking under the truck, I am struggling to see where I'd mount it so that it didn't fill with s**t every time I go off road. As I say, that is a nice install, but wading through mud will surely clog the fins in a heartbeat.

I could be tempted to fit the bit I salvaged from the rad like Bat did and use it as an ambient cooler to assist the main rad. After all, I am not going across the Sudan more's the pity. I reckon Sainsbury and back shouldn't jeopardise the AT that much. That little slimline rad should fit somewhere neat. Plus the additional hose provided more opportunity for heat dissipation too. Be good to connect a pump to it, push hot water through it and measure the temp at each end to see what it sheds simply with a desk fan blowing over it.

Chris

Chris said:
I'm keen to have a crack at this - just because I can, but looking at that very nice double cooler install, I have to ask, is there the potential to over cool the ATF.
Chris, I'm with you here - there is clearly an optimum operating temp that is considerably higher than (UK) ambient temperatures. For that reason, I would plumb the additional cooler upstream of the rad and continue to use the rad cooler too.
EDIT: Just re-read this thread and seen that I wrote most of this on page 2 :mrgreen:

Chris said:
It has to get up to a certain temp before the shift pattern allows you go into top doesn't it? .
I don't think so unless this certain temp is pretty low - mine goes into top/overdrive happily enough from cold.

Thinking out loud, the best solution would be to install the aux cooler with a bypass (with a thermostat or some fancy valving driven by Jon's new supercomputer measuring ATF temps :idea: ) so that the ATF can warm up quickly without going through the aux cooler and if/when additional cooling is needed, the stat opens and ATF goes through the aux cooler.
Fancy giving that a go, Chris? :cool:

Fancy giving it a go......

Err, uhm, well.. I can't spell Traktor, but I can lift one

Mum, I can hear the voices again.

C

I spoke with Rodney at Wholesale Automatics (they seem to be really clued up on autos in Aus) about this overcooling issue before fitting my new valve body, he said that you would have a real job to over cool the atf to prevent it going into top ok, he is of the opinion that its heat that kills the auto boxes & reccomends that getting the temp 'as near to room temperature' as possible although this is never likely to happen, I guess what he's getting at is to keep the temp low.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au ... ewsId=4651

I have a bash plate under my twin coolers, which are mounted between the chassis rails, and the temp guage that I had fitted in the line after the rad cooler but before the extra cooler in normal road operating in this country stayed around 80'c it went a lot higher clawing through soft sand in high ambient temperatures with a following wind, thats why I have fitted a whole sale autos valve body & manual lock up kit,so I can 'lock up' in lower gears & help keep the ATF temps down.
This was not a good place to fit the temp sensor & i have now fitted one into the atf outlet union of the box, but have not tried it yet to see what temps I am getting as the fluid leaves the auto box.
The bash plate keeps most of the mud away from the cooler, and only after the mud was piled up on top of the bashplate did I have to hose through the cooler fins, but in this case the thick mud was plastered over everything including the tops of the axles!

Andy - you is a genius, though innit. That's wot you is. I like that. Great info. Hmm, where's me spanners!

I though about fitting an alloy, brush, not bash, plate under my winch and the cooler could go in there. I figured that I cut out a pattern of holes in there to let air flow through but keep the worst of the clag out when I went in deep.

I can feel a Saturday coming on

Chris

Back