Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad news - less than Euro 3 vehicles to be banned from Bucharest

As I read it they is not a criteria for what you need to fit for any off the EURO Specs, it is more on the actual emissions of the car. When you know this you should be able to decide what you need to make it the right spec, may only be a cat or egr system. I would have a chat with your normal mechanic as I bet he will be up on it working in Bucharest

Euro 5 which is beyond what you need, is cat and DPF. Addblue came in on euro 6.
so if you are allowed to prove your new emissions levels and get a cert for the city. A good exhaust place should be all thats needed. some of the sports DPF's advertise that they burn off soot at lower temps, so no need for all the sensors and regeneration etc.

And trust me i know all about regeneration owning an Amarok:lol::doh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-DIESEL...883019?hash=item2836e8430b:g:aREAAOSwsdVdRHm~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Flo...225506?hash=item1ee5ba86a2:g:ABoAAOSwc15bSfIx
Not sure what exhaust temps you get being non turbo. but might be a good chance to add one in.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how the VW cheat worked , must guess if its running on fumes then it can't put much out of the exhaust

I'm wondering how the VW cheat worked , must guess if its running on fumes then it can't put much out of the exhaust

Not sure what they had in the software. my Touareg which was euro 5 never regenerated while i had it.
The amarok (Euro 6) which now has 8k miles on it regenerates at least once per tankful. its doing the excact same journeys the Touareg did. so since the cheat has been found out it has really messed with the emissions.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats a classic example of how this environmental nonsense is being used for political means. Vehicle emissions, from what I have seen, are the least of Romania's Problems. When we visited last year the atmosphere was thick with the smoke of field stubble burning. I would say the pollution in one year from that activity would equal the entire vehicle output in Bucharest for a century.
Deal with the issues instead of constantly beating motorists over the head because they're an easy target!

Thats a classic example of how this environmental nonsense is being used for political means. Vehicle emissions, from what I have seen, are the least of Romania's Problems. When we visited last year the atmosphere was thick with the smoke of field stubble burning. I would say the pollution in one year from that activity would equal the entire vehicle output in Bucharest for a century.
Deal with the issues instead of constantly beating motorists over the head because they're an easy target!

You’ve hit the nail firmly on the head in this post Moggy, IMHO, it’s purely political blubbering from an incompetent trying to demonstrate responsible management of the environment. The whole scheme is flawed from the onset. I’m not against responsible management, but it must be done fairly and in a way that can be properly policed and administered. The bumblings of the lady in question are appalling, and in fact all she’s doing is proving her incompetence as opposed to scoring smartie points.

The consensus in the media is that her proposals will never be put to practice, and I can only hope they’re right.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, yesterday’s depression has lifted a bit. I’m still researching companies that can offer retrofits and I’ll post them up (if any).

This situation is only going to escalate worldwide, it seems.

This situation is only going to escalate worldwide, it seems.

You're right there Clive. This is just the start of it. How long will any mods or adaptations for old diesels last? The emission targets will only get tighter year on year until a point is reached where it's impossible to meet them. I think all we can hope for is that its spread over a sufficiently long timescale until we're all too old to be bothered about our LC's!

We all know its got nothing to do with saving the planet and i don't even think its political , its about keeping the failed EU project alive with money they don't have . Spend your pension on a new european built car for your kids or they won't ever be able to work in a dead end job in the city gathering a lifetime of debts which allows banks to give the impression they are solvent because they are owed so much which in turn allows the EU to flaunt its wealth influence and power globally whilst knowing they are already bankrupt .

Britain will be blamed for the next financial crash which is inevitable in any case .

Can’t disagree with any of the previous posts TBH, but either way, the truth will out one way or another over time.

As for emissions, it’s my view that the problem (if there is one) will resolve itself, but of course that takes a bit of time. The older vehicles probably have a usable lifespan of some 15 years, so a 10 year old euro 3 car today will be gone within 5 years without any legislative action. Of course, politicians want instant gratification so vehicles will be prematurely destroyed which is nothing more than a waste of world resources not to mention the financial loss, which of course has to be borne by the innocent motorist.

Bugger.

The Mayor of Bucharest has decided to introduce a total ban on non-Euro and Euro 1 & 2 vehicles from central Bucharest (where I live) with no exceptions.

The only compensation offered to residents is some vouchers for domestic appliances, worth up to 700 lei (about £140) depending on the vehicle.
So chin up old boy, remember you're British.

WTF :shock:

I’m guessing my 1995 HZJ 80 is Euro 1, so I’m buggered unless there’s a way to retrofit a DPF and/or an SRC system. So far, my enquiries into retrofit devices are drawing a blank...

Has anyone else researched retrofit emission devices?

Looks like I’ll have to park it up at the house out of town and buy another car.

Not happy... :thumbdown: :icon-cry:
:thumbdown::icon-cry::thumbdown: That's a real bummer Clive, general servicing I'm sure you can cope with yourself, anything else as you say can be carted in to Bucharest on the back of a breakdown truck. I can easily see our lovely London Mayor doing something similar before too long, one of the reasons I sold the Phoenix.
So chin up old boy, remember you're British.

Last edited:
In Barcelona from 1st January 2020 petrol cars less than Euro3 & diesels less than euro4 Will be restricted from 07.00 until 20.00 on weekdays.at the moment when contamination reaches a certain level the restrictions apply.Madrid has a similar scheme.It's not a perfect solution & of course those on low income who have older cars will be hit the hardest but contamination is a real problem with an estimated 350 deaths a year in Barcelona.Also children are particularly vulnerable to particulates.I'm not sure what the answer is to this?

I read about some euro emission upgrade for hzj 70 series from Germany.
But I think it'll be easier to install 1hdfte from hdj100 which is euro4.

Changing the engine is an option, but finding one and getting such a change approved by the registration authority here (RAR) is an absolute nightmare.

Spoke to a guy that imports them at the overland show about this, basically they fit a removable dpf!

Can’t disagree with any of the previous posts TBH, but either way, the truth will out one way or another over time.

As for emissions, it’s my view that the problem (if there is one) will resolve itself, but of course that takes a bit of time. The older vehicles probably have a usable lifespan of some 15 years, so a 10 year old euro 3 car today will be gone within 5 years without any legislative action. Of course, politicians want instant gratification so vehicles will be prematurely destroyed which is nothing more than a waste of world resources not to mention the financial loss, which of course has to be borne by the innocent motorist.

The average lifespan of a car is only 12 years believe it or not!

Back