Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic service

wobbly

Garage
Am going to do a simple oil service on the 95 with my lad.

Am going to do oil, oil filter, and fuel filter.

Couple of questions -

Oil - have loads of semi synth 10W40 - will this be ok?

Fuel filter - is it an easy swap?

I've read that the thermostat is a pain to change as its at the lower end of the rad/block - I would normally change this as standard, is it really that much of a pig to get at?

Am intending to get a new water pump and timing belt fitted - is this a difficult job on this engine? If so I will get my garage mech to do it.

Pete

Hi

Oil - have loads of semi synth 10W40 - will this be ok?

I use this grade of engine oil

Fuel filter - is it an easy swap?
to remove just filter canister insitu can be a pain. I usually disconnect the fuel lines (noting how the connect), disconnect the water sensor plug then remove the entire filter priming assembly and filter, by undoing the 2 bolts. then i put the thing in a vice to remove the filter and water sensor assembly at base

I've read that the thermostat is a pain to change as its at the lower end of the rad/block - I would normally change this as standard, is it really that much of a pig to get at?

Yes i found it a pain to access the bolts, i seem to recall the air-hose to turbo might have got in the way as well

Ok, thanks.

I have access to a ramp, would this make the stat any easier to access?

Thanks for the tip on fuel filter - I def need to do this myself as I am increasingly looking at veg oil for fuel and I understand it conveys more crud to the filter, so needs changing regularily.

On the fuel filter - once its all reconnected - is there a priming valve/pump built into it?

Pete

yes a ramp would make it a bit easier than lying on back

there is a plunger on top of the primer assembly to prime the fuel filter, keep pressing until it becomes hard to press down

Back