Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic tools to buy for self servicing land cruiser.

discounts
Genuine filter,
Definitely will not go for cheap ones. These cars are like my kids :). This is one reason I decided to do maintenance myself so I can have a control on quality and care for regular consumables.
I got a 10£ discount coupon from Halfords for online shopping. Apart from that, don’t have any friends in any trade. But this is one time purchase so not a monthly routine budget

nitrile gloves
These I should have 4-5 boxes left after giving away to friends during covid. I have full lab protection kits, most of which I can use

Worth getting the thicker gloves for car stuff - a lot of them are thinner which is fine for lab work, but they just tear as soon as you take them near a wrench. Get 5 mil or thicker if you can.

Reactions: Raj
Lastly - tool buying becomes addictive!!
Everything about car is addictive for me. Tools the next one :cool: Wish I won’t go into obsessive zone.
eg. I already have good carnuba wax but I keep buying new wax products without finishing the previous ones.

And a mat for the floor.... That's for us classy diy'ers

• Haha
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before you invest in a jack and axle stands just check you can get underneath without. I can ok on my 90 but I just stick a chock under a couple of the wheels as a safety measure.
I get most of my service stuff from Euro Car parts, they sell good filters and Castrol oil which I swear by.
RoughTrax do a complete service kit. Worth checking.
Air filter is easy to change, Fuel filter a bit messy but just take your time and save a fortune.
Good luck!

David, Buller yes this kit from roughtrax looks perfect.
I keep editing my list for now. I found this dewalt tool kit in Costco. Is it any better than Halfords advanced kit. Not much different in price.

Attachments

• 72058C7D-EDE9-44EB-845E-8E912E9310CD.jpeg
    72058C7D-EDE9-44EB-845E-8E912E9310CD.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 46
  • 1D4D93AB-7C33-4377-B69E-1DB053A99E38.jpeg
    1D4D93AB-7C33-4377-B69E-1DB053A99E38.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 42
Sorry Halfords advanced 3/8 28 piece set is 40£ I saw wrong price. This dewalt looks good but is it worth that price

Tell you what Raj I use deWalt gear and although expensive I think £90 for that set is a good price. Seriously, if you buy one I’ll have one. Happy to transfer funds, happy spending. You can never have too many tools!

I use Dewalt power tools and have been great, but not so the hand tools I brought some side cutters on offer a year or so back, they are now in the scrap in my mind they were just rebranded junk

I’d stick to the Halfords advanced tools, they have a lifetime warranty and will be much easier to have replaced if the break. There are increasing number of guys using these in the trade for every day use, and I’ve only managed to break one ratchet spanner in about 15 years of use. I own quite a selection of quality tools, snap on, facom bluepoint and regularly choose the Halfords over the snap on stuff!

I found a ramp hire as well near Windsor. He’s charging 35£ for 3 hrs for advanced jobs I can use that as well. He told he can guide me with some work

That's not terrible. I paid £20 for a half day a few years back and they just left me to it in the garage.

Then this garage is good to go. In one of his posts he said all tea n coffee goes. Well my car is a bar until I stop drinking again so it’s super good :) for garage n me

Dear All thank you for suggestions. So far I added below list from halfords. I ordered full service kit, 10 litres of 5w30 Toyota oil and bung sump plug and extra washer from rough trax.
For first service i ll use the ramp for hire in Iver so not getting jack n axles.

There is another set in halfords - Halfords advanced 100 pc socket set. in that most of them are mentioned as drive. The one I added in basket says A/F.
For Toyotas do I have to stick to drive only? in that case if I buy this 100pc set do I still need spanner set?

1629474114013.png

Back