Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic tools to buy for self servicing land cruiser.

You will need some Hex Keys to undo the top of fuel filter housing as well, as they are not a spin on filter

Thank you, I ll change then go for metric ones

:) with every new word m looking in google. Ratchet, hex key, drive, AF, JIS. Wrench but good thing learned a lot now got to a point of confidence from confusion

Just for an oil change you should be ok to do it on your drive, don't need a jack or a lift. Just put the truck into park mode + hand brake. Turn it all off. Block the tyres to make sure it won't roll with some bricks, and get under it.

Unlike typical cars, these cruisers have fair ground clearance.

Also you don't want to open the sump plug at height of a lift, you will need some really good aim to make sure your pan catches the oil from a height :) and you need to put the new oil in from the top, you don't want to be climbing onto the truck when it's on a lift (?).

KB even others feel same with the height of the car but want to have extra space until I know what I am doing. I ve to watch YouTube several times while under the car. I can imagine how it ll be. I end up spending hour or two just looking at parts under the car :) and relate to the ones I read n watch on YouTubethen start using the tools. I think once I get used, I ll just blindly point the nuts n go for it.

at the ramp hire place I talked m thinking of booking for 4 hours after 25th. Oil change is going to be the most complicated DIY tool job in my life :) so far

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Raj maybe just get under it while its on your drive for a familiarisation session. Put safety glasses on so no sh*te gets in your eyes, and get a good torch or a headtorch. Have look around it while you're not on the clock for the ramp. See where the sump is, where the oil filter is etc. Make sure the car is cold when you get under it (leave it overnight) so that you dont have to worry about hot exhausts etc.

Reactions: Raj
Karl I couldn’t fit under the car my tummy gets struck :) if I put it in high I might go

This is the video I am watching, at 9.49 mins he starts about oil filter at 10.40 approx he tells about the Toyota tool. The bluepoint tool doesn’t look like this so thinking of buying from Toyota. Also he mentioned 79 series fits in 200 series. So can I change my whole set to 79 series one?

Just thought Raj, I don't know if you've got a torque wrench on your tool list. If you don't want to buy a separate wrench, you can buy a meter that goes onto a normal wrench.

The reason it might be handy for you is that you have to tighten the sump plug to a specific torque - you need it to be tight enough so that it doesnt come undone and all the oil leaks out; but you dont want it to be over tightened so that it strips the thread and then it won't tighten properly. So the torque is critical. It's very easy to over tighten these if you're not used to them and that can be a big problem.

Most of us probably just nip these up by feel to be 'about right' - after a few you can sort of tell when its good enough. But if you're not used to doing them, you might want a torque wrench for the first few goes anyway.

For routine jobs where the vehicle must be level, checking/changing oil levels etc I have some ramps I cut from an old railway sleeper. Quick to deploy, just throw one against each wheel and drive on. They raise the car an extra 7-8" which means I can use a car creeper for manoeuvrability and easy access. Like most I also have some axle stands and a jack. If I was buying another jack it would be a long reach type to make lifting the rear end easier. My current 2 ton Halfords jack will lift it but it's so far under the vehicle the handle throw is severely restricted which is a real PITA. If you have access to a full size vehicle ramp/lift it will make all jobs many times easier. I'd probably put the Milwaukee impact gun near the top of useful tool list.

I love my impact gun, but realistically you don't need one to start with, definitely something for one you have decided you want to get stuck in properly.

I wish I'd bought one years ago. In addition to making light work of tight/seized fasteners it just makes basic procedures like taking the wheels on and off so much quicker and easier, just be careful with the tightening.

And Milwaukee is obviously the best. #ToolWars

Milwaukee seems to be very expensive. Can I just buy the gun alone and use it with my Halfords set? Or do I have to buy Halfords torque wrench 300 at about 100£ To match the set

Did anyone try 4 ramps without a jack? If the ramp has a tyre lock after climbing This work out without jack ?

This is the video I am watching, at 9.49 mins he starts about oil filter at 10.40 approx he tells about the Toyota tool. The bluepoint tool doesn’t look like this so thinking of buying from Toyota. Also he mentioned 79 series fits in 200 series. So can I change my whole set to 79 series one?

Change what exactly to a 79 what? There is no 79 sold in the UK. Remember that much of the components and grades of consumables are set by engine, region and operating conditions. So even with the same vehicle, same engine you will get different engine oil in different countries.

79 series aluminium oil filter fits 200 series

Back