Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Batteries Going Flat

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Since getting back from our trek I noticed that the car wasn't bursting into life in the same way. Even less so if left more than a day or two.

So, I first checked the batteries. The indicator on the DS one was showing black instead of green, so as a temporary measure I changed that over for one from my disco. This seemed to cure the problem but nonetheless I started to monitor battery voltages following a run and then the following morning.

Each time after a run there was about 13v - same in both batteries. The following morning I checked and there was 12.8v in both. After disconnecting the DS from the PS battery, I checked for a drain and found none on the PS battery and 0.17a on the red wire of the grey connector block next to the fusible links on the DS. I haven't checked this further (yet). So, I took it out for a run again to top them up. Then before leaving it overnight, I disconnected bothe batteries from the car. Each had 13v.

Next morning, I measured again and found the DS battery had 13v, but the PS had 11.8v. So, it seems, when the two are connected, the PS battery was pulling charge from the DS one hence both measuring less but the same as earlier. So, I temporarily replaced the PS battery with the other from my disco.

I'm hoping my logic/knowledge is right here.....can someone who is a master of the dark art of electrickery confirm?

As there wasn't a problem with a drain before the battery problems I'm assuming a 0.17a drain is nothing to worry about.

Looks spot on Mb. Your detective work has isolated the problem (along with the battery [emoji4]). If you take the batteries to somewhere reliable that deals in batteries, they should be able to analyse them both. I would suspect if one is going down the other could soon follow if they were purchased at the same time. Probably best to swap the pair to prevent problems but not essential if you monitor it closely which I'm sure you're perfectly capable of. [emoji4]

Ps the 0.17A drain is probably clock and radio, alarm too if you have one. Nothing to worry about.

Phew, cheers for confirming SC. I'm waiting for the new ones to arrive.

battery megastore? always had great service from them.

Are you psychic Steve :icon-biggrin: in fact I ordered one Odyssey 1540 from them and another from Devon. I chose two different suppliers purely because the terminal positions are different dependent on the side and no supplier I could find carries both but these two carry left and right positives.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A 170ma drain when parked/locked up is a bit high IMO. I get <45ma in a similar situation with the TVSS3B alarm system. Have you done the 'permanently live' electric windows mod? When I did this it put the drain up by quite a margin so I undid it. Can't remember the exact figure but it was well over 100MA. A dodgy self discharging battery will always pull a good one down when connected together in parallel.

battery megastore? always had great service from them.

I used their Spanish Barcelona branch a few years back but now they have gone into administration. By coincidence I need two batteries, I ordered from the Megastore in UK and was told international shipping no problem, waited all day for the email which did eventually arrive, explaining they no longer ship abroad...WTF!! Employing numbskulls is a great way to ruin your business, if they continue like that then they too could end up in the bin.

FWIW the batteries I purchased from them lasted really well and done the job fine.

regards

Dave

Are you getting a spark when you connect terminals with the ignition turned off? If so disconnect circuits one by one by removing the fuse. when it stops sparking that is likely your culprit circuit.

Be careful of a spark near freshly charged batteries, they can explode. Had it happen to me twice, (one caused by a bracelet shorting a terminal), and have witnessed it twice elsewhere.

regards

Dave

The 24v 80's had problems with the intake heater relay underneath the OS battery. If pulling the fuses doesn't isolate the current draw it is worth checking this.

Thanks for all the tips, will check them out today. With the above changes it is back to normal starting. I do have a small spark when connecting the positive with ignition off.

Just to confirm the state of the PS battery I took out, I connected it to that aux battery terminals in the rear a couple of days ago then forgot about it. Yesterday I noticed an eggy smell in the car. Today it happened again and I though I'd check for food stuffs and while looking under the front seats heard a hissing / boiling noise from that battery and then vapour coming from one cell:icon-surprised::icon-surprised: . Then I remembered a visit to Yellowstone park and the smell of hot sulphur .....

Not sure what would have happened had I not noticed but I guess it wouldn't have been nice.

FYI, battery megastore have both 334 & 335 batteries in stock at £50 a pop.

Thanks for all the tips, will check them out today. With the above changes it is back to normal starting. I do have a small spark when connecting the positive with ignition off.

Just to confirm the state of the PS battery I took out, I connected it to that aux battery terminals in the rear a couple of days ago then forgot about it. Yesterday I noticed an eggy smell in the car. Today it happened again and I though I'd check for food stuffs and while looking under the front seats heard a hissing / boiling noise from that battery and then vapour coming from one cell:icon-surprised::icon-surprised: . Then I remembered a visit to Yellowstone park and the smell of hot sulphur .....

Not sure what would have happened had I not noticed but I guess it wouldn't have been nice.

One reason I'm not keen on batteries inside the cabin. Any hydrogen liberated and not vented to outside can explode with the right conditions. Can be lethal.

You can get gel batteries that are sealed. I use them on boats but they are a bit more expensive. Again you get what you pay for I suppose. £50 sounds more like kind of price though!

As far as I'm aware, gel batteries need a different charge rate. These may be different but I believe that is the case.

I have gel batteries in the boat and use only a standard 12v jump pack or charger , alternators are standard items to as far as i am aware .

Back