Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Batteries

I'm speechless Clive!:) I said it a few days ago in this thread ' I don't know what is good anymore'. One thing I've desided is do NOT replace my OEM alternator. Repairs if needed with genuine parts is a yes for me. I'll try to keep my truck in the original state as much as possible. Even the extras I've installed to run a third battery is just a turn of a knob away from going back to factory set.

P.S. I follow very closely the current events in Romania. My wife is in Bucharest 'till Friday.

It's a good plan to stay OEM if you can hold to it George.

Nick, I'll deal with you later... :lol:

Erm, mine are still working :whistle:

Good for you mate, I hope they continue to do so... :lol:

Bad things seem to come in threes, first the batteries letting me down, second breaking my rear screen, third the new batteries failing.

BTW, a new Mr T glass (green tint I'm told) is €250.

7-10 days, on order :dance:

Edit - sorry Paul (BAT 21) for the thread-jack, hand duly slapped.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, and i've just done it myself buying the same batteries as Clive. How come no one seems to buy original batteries from Toyota? I've no idea how old the ones were i took out of the truck but they certainly weren't new.

.... Edit - sorry Paul (BAT 21) for the thread-jack, hand duly slapped.
No need to apologise, all replies keep the thread at the top which is always good.

Thanks for all the advice and feed back so far folks...

...How come no one seems to buy original batteries from Toyota? I've no idea how old the ones were i took out of the truck but they certainly weren't new.
First time I hear they exist:confusion-confused: I'll try to put a hand on one and do some tests:) I like to check on stuff. Right now my ten year old Olympus camera is third day frozen in the fridge (-18C):text-coolphotos:......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First time I hear they exist:confusion-confused: I'll try to put a hand on one and do some tests:) I like to check on stuff. Right now my ten year old Olympus camera is third day frozen in the fridge (-18C):text-coolphotos:......
I know rough Trax sell them and the ones a I just took out were toyotas.

You used to be able to buy original 80 batteries at £500 each, or their "alternatives" for £85 each.

Toyota don't make their own batteries as most car manufacturers don't, even Honda. If you do a bit of googling you'll see OEM Toyota batteries range from Panasonic, AC Delco, Johnson Controls (they own Varta brand), Yuasa etc. so an "original Toyota battery" doesn't really mean much. Yuasa have been a benchmark in motorcycle batteries for donkeys years. JMO

I recently enquired with Caetano/Toyota Portugal into getting 2 x Toyota Batteries. They didn't give any details into the actual units other than quoting a price of Euro 141.10/battery +IVA 23%. The code numbers are 28800-YZZJE &YZZJF

I've had sterling service from Optimas, had a pair on the Discovery for 10 years and they're still going well. Had/have them on other 4x4s and the Land Cruisers without complaint. Had an Odessey as the aux battery on the 80 which had loads of power, a mate has had a pair of Odesseys on his truck for 11 years and still going strong. No problems with AGM batteries here, just charge them with an appropriate charger once a year to keep them topped up.

If I was buying one starter battery for an 80 overlander I'd be considering the largest Odessey that I could fit in the battery bay. Would give some extra capacity, which could prove useful in situations like alternator failure.

Good for you mate, I hope they continue to do so... :lol:

Bad things seem to come in threes, first the batteries letting me down, second breaking my rear screen, third the new batteries failing.

BTW, a new Mr T glass (green tint I'm told) is €250.

7-10 days, on order :dance:

Edit - sorry Paul (BAT 21) for the thread-jack, hand duly slapped.
At least the rear defrost will work well, most uk ones seem to have stopped working years ago..

At least the rear defrost will work well, most uk ones seem to have stopped working years ago..

I had my rear window changed for this very reason around this time last year. I got it for £245 but only because Autowindscreens dropped off and undercharged me by over £200! Can't remember exactly how much I was quoted by a Toyota dealer but it was over £700.

The ultimate test, they put 2 new batteries from stock onto the truck, and the Volt meter sprang back to a healthy 14.6 V. The new Varta's were slung in the back and off I went to Mr. Battery Guy's shop to tell him to replace or refund.

He says, give me 2 days to test them, and I'll call you. OK said me, but I have to insist now on only one day, because the law says that after 48 hours, I can't insist on a refund (Don't ask, laws here are a little suspect if you've been watching the news lately - hence the demonstrations).

I wait for my phone-call from Mr. Battery Guy. :|

Well the phonecall never came so Mohammed (me) went to the Mountain, as it were. "I've come for my refund" says I bold as brass and he said "hang on a moment" and disappeared out of the back of the shop.

10 mins later he reappeared with 2 batteries and said "here you are, we'll fit them to your truck". I said "are these the ones I returned?", and bugger me he said "yes, they're OK now, we've charged them". :laughing-rolling::clap::icon-rolleyes:

What a cheek, still, it took another 20 minutes of arguing before he realised I wasn't going to accept them. Replacements or refund became my only catchphrase, so I'm getting a refund.

Did you then manage to drive off with the temporary replacements while yours were being recharged :dance:

Last edited:
Did you then manage to drive off with the temporary replacements while yours were being recharged :dance:

Yep, my service lent them to me on a sale or return basis, depending on the decision of battery guy...

So next week, I'll be paying for them with the battery guy refund money.

I'm very fortunate to have GTC Autos, they've helped me on so many occasions!

I've had sterling service from Optimas, had a pair on the Discovery for 10 years and they're still going well. Had/have them on other 4x4s and the Land Cruisers without complaint. Had an Odessey as the aux battery on the 80 which had loads of power, a mate has had a pair of Odesseys on his truck for 11 years and still going strong. No problems with AGM batteries here, just charge them with an appropriate charger once a year to keep them topped up.

If I was buying one starter battery for an 80 overlander I'd be considering the largest Odessey that I could fit in the battery bay. Would give some extra capacity, which could prove useful in situations like alternator failure.
This is interesting Scott as I asked Odyssey if they did leisure batteries and they said no. However, I'm looking at getting leisure batteries and know the differences between deep cycle vs cranking. However, I was speaking to Barden about Odysseys [I have two under the bonnet] as leisure batteries and they said: "We use the Odyssey for emergency vehicles and they work very well. AGM naturally generate a lot of cranking power but are also suitable for service batteries." This surprised me a bit because the applications are quite different.

They cope well in both applications.
Cut and paste from here: http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/odyssey-pc2150.html

Suitable for: Cars, Motorcycles, Powersports, Marine, ATV, Snowmobiles, Heavy Duty & Commercial, Audio & Video Systems.

Odyssey batteries combine both Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) and Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) technology to offer the characteristics of two separate batteries; enormous cranking power and deep-cycle reserve power. Traditional battery designs allow either deep cycle or provide high amperage discharges for applications such as engine starting. However, this battery can support applications in either category. Even at very low temperatures, these batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses of up to 2,250A (PC2250) for 5 seconds at 77ºF (25ºC) as well as deliver 400 charge/discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge (DOD) when properly charged. Made with flat plates of 99.99% pure virgin lead, Odyssey battery plates are extremely thin and densely packed, resulting in twice as much power as conventional batteries.

Key Features:
  • Longer Service Life: 3-10 years of service life.
  • Longer Cycle Life: 70% longer cycle life than conventional deep cycle batteries, providing high stable voltage for longer periods of time.
  • Longer Shelf Life: Can be stored on open circuit (nothing connected to the terminals) without recharging for up to 2 years.
  • Faster recharge: Capable of 100% recharge in 4-6 hours.
  • Mounting Flexibility: Non-spillable design - can be mounted on any side in any position except inverted.
  • Vibration resistance: Design protects against high impact shock and mechanical vibration.
  • Temperature tolerance: Able to withstand extreme temperature ranges.
  • 100% Maintenance Free: Drycell design with resealable venting system.

Is battery megastore recommended as they seem to have the pc2150 at 100 pounds cheaper than other places?

Back