Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Battery Charger

Paul said:
Found this from some old notes i have from the past, i its basically that the alternator will only produce what is demanded of it rather than continuosly providing enough power to fully charge the battery.

Current demand and flow:
If you have an alternator that can produce 120 amps of current (max) and the the total current demand from the electrical accessories (including the battery) is only 20 amps, the alternator will only produce the necessary current (20 amps) to maintain the target voltage (which is determined by the alternator's internal voltage regulator). Remember that the alternator monitors the electrical system's voltage. If the voltage starts to fall below the target voltage (approximately 13.8 volts depending on the alternator's design), the alternator produces more current to keep the voltage up. When the demand for current is low, the full current capacity of the alternator is not used/produced (a 120 amp alternator does not continuously produce 120 amps unless there is a sufficient current draw).

Charging System Basics:
The electrical system in an automobile is said to be a 12 volt system, but this is slightly misleading. The charging system in most cars will generally produce a voltage between 13.5 and 14.4 volts while the engine is running. It has to generate more voltage than the battery's rated voltage to overcome the internal resistance of the battery. This may seem strange, but the current needed to recharge the battery would not flow at all if the charging system's output voltage was the same as the battery voltage. A greater difference of potential (voltage) between the battery's voltage and the alternator's output voltage will provide a faster charging rate.

As long as the engine is running, all of the power for the accessories is delivered by the alternator. The battery is actually a load on the charging system. The only time that the battery would supply power with the engine running is when the current capacity of the alternator is exceeded or when engine is at a very low idle.
Hi Again Paul

I think it sums it up:
"its basically that the alternator will only produce what is demanded of it"

In simple terms a alternator will put out amps till the battery voltage is the same as the alternator, so if the alternator is regulated to 14.4 volts, the lower the battery voltage the alternator will put more amps out, but as the voltage rises the amps drop off, till there is no more amps supplied(best way to check is just after starting the car, stick a ammeter and read the amps, and will be about 100amps, but as the voltage comes up, this will reduce.

As you say there is other devices on the car that draw from the alternator, but all a battery there for is to start the car.

But to get back to the point, a alternator will fully charge a battery if you drive enough miles.

Steve

I leave my 'leisure' 125aH battery on charge in the garage all the time it's not in use - use a CTEK XS7000 - probably overkill but it does the job with absolutely no issues. Really good stuff - and you can use it as a 12volt supply too if you need to disconnect both batteries and have radios etc. retain memory ...

Back