Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beginner Offroader

fridayman

Garage
I am about to pick up a bog standard 90 that I would like to take off-road for a bit of fun. I don't see myself riding up cliff faces or anything like that, just gravel, mud, green lanes, etc.

What kit will I need, and in what order should I buy it if I don't have lots of cash to throw at it?

new tyres- a good set of Mud terrains (which you can sell when you want to fit a lift and get a bigger set)

Some training- arguably this should be number one, and without a doubt makes THE biggest difference to an offroader!

As above,
Good off road tyres, not essentially mud tyres, good all terrains will do.

Then the lift kit,

Then the snorkel,

Then the winch bumber, quickly followed by the winch.

As you see, there is no ending.

Graham

What Pugwash says is absolutely right, mud tyres were the best 'mod' I did to my 80, a winch would be the next thing I would recommend, as for training, if you can't get professional training, join a 4x4 club and go on a pay and play day and take advice from the others there.
When I started back in the mists of time :roll: I joined Burnham Off-roaders, http://www.burnhamoffroaders.org.uk/Hom ... 0000000000 they are a very helpful bunch of chaps, they meet in Slough which is not too far from you and have meetings on the first Wednesday in the month at the Burnham British Legion. Any make of 4x4 is welcome there :cool: , at the moment there are only two Toyota's so come and give us some company, and any others from the forum come along too. Look up their website to see what events they have coming up, I know there is a week-end off-road event coming up soon but I will be in Croatia and won't be able to attend :cry: .
Chas

Before you set out off road even before you have made any mods to the vehicle some recovery equipment is good to have. You will need a couple of tow straps and a few d shackles (make sure they are all load rated including shackles!) You will also need to have a look at your current recovery points and find out if they are up to the job (front and rear)

First of all, even before tyres and trainning. Make sure you have good recovery points front and rear.

As you WILL get stuck and will have nowhere to attach a rope, then your not coming out.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, so some recovery points with shackles and a recovery rope are top of the list. Anything in particular that I should be looking out for on a 90 i.e. load ratings on the shackles/rope? Any particular brands or designs that are better or preferred?

While all the above are good to have, you don't need them to go out and have some fun.

I went out a few times with a bog standard 120 with street tyres. I did get stuck, not as often as I thought though, but unless you out on your own (not wise) or out with a bunch of to55ers, I doubt people will stand back and laugh at you. Have a chuckle and a few jabs, yes.
If you are really unsure of the route you are about to take, take another until you are more confident in yourself and the vehicle.

Obviously nice to have your own straps for recovery but so long as you with a like minded bunch of people, there's a helping hand nearby.

The list above here sounds like it's compiled by the Landrover 90 club. Sand ladders anyone?

edit: It does become a slippery slope though :cool:

I'm with Paul, recovery points are the 1st thing to sort out.

A 90 doesn't need mud terrains. It's different to an 80. 90's do exceptionally well with ATs. Having had both on a 90, I would go ATs for sure. The advantage with MTs over ATs is hardly noticeable. On road the ATs are better and in snow the ATs are better. On MPG the ATs are better. BUT - the MTs look much better.

Chris

I gotta say I had a hoot in my Colorado on Sunday riding around on BFG A/Ts - if I had aired down, I'm sure I would have had even more grip... The only time I struggled was right at the start of the day & the main reason for that was inappropriate use of the gears.

I was really really impressed by the 90 once I'd got used to it after being in MUX. Shame about me side steps though ;-)

12T-16T rope/strap and shakels that are stamped 3.75T, make sure they are tested ones.

Paul

Back