Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best place for new springs,shocks and lower arms?

RBG21

Country Flag
uk
Even though it went through the MOT in November the springs are a bit old and rusty and so are the lower front arms, I’m thinking about buying a new set and replacing the springs and shocks all round and the front lower arms and ball joints in the new year, any recommendations where to get them all from that are good quality?, I was thinking of ordering from Milners but didn’t know if there are any better alternatives?, I don’t really want to put a lift on it, rather keep it normal height.
Although I might add a snorkel at the same time too!.

This !00 Series of mine has a Tuff-Trax, (think that is how they spell it), suspension kit fitted by the previous owner. Now this one is lifted with the heavy duty coil springs which is what I need for my 3.5 ton Ifor Williams trailer. The fit has been on a few years now and it seems fine, however the shockers have lost most of their paint.
One of my first jobs when I get this machine on the road is to collect a 2 ton tractor from the Lake District. Will let you know how it performs.

Honestly you'll have no issues with a 100 series with 2 and a half ton behind, I do runs like this regularly enough with my 90 series and it handles a big ifor and a couple of other trailers without breaking stride on standard springs etc.

Most aftermarket stuff is OK RBG, Rougtrax are another option, but won't be much different. Make sure you do the lower ball joints, and go Toyota if you can.

On the snorkel, these things wade 700mm from the factory, and the dust never gets up in these parts, so I'm not sure how much benefit they really are unless you plan on serious play, but they do add to the look of a truck though.

I'd say a snorkel is more useful for avoiding splashes than anything else, you shouldn't be near the intake in the first place unless you're very keen.

All the stock snorkels I have seen stick up waaaaay above the roofline and look a bit goofy. My tip is to cut a couple of inches off the top of the upright tube before fitting the head. Don't go too far or the head won't fit comfortably due to the bend in the tube. Looks much better and you can have more confidence in multi-storey car parks.

I doubt I've ever really needed the snorkel despite green laning a lot, but it does give confidence. As mentioned above the factory wading depth of 700mm is plenty (200mm more than a Defender I think?).

I’ve been through some water but nothing too extreme, I have had the water come up to the headlights but this was on the front while making a bow wave, the actual water wasn’t that close to the intake when I watched the video back.
I’d quite like a snorkel at some point though because it does add confidence and they look good too.
Springs, shocks and lower arms are first though.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back