Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Binoculars

warrenpfo

Not sure if its a gadget or if its equipment or perhaps should go in the lounge so feel free to move the topic where you feel it will get the best responce.

I am looking for a set of binoculars to take with me both in the field and in the car when we go traveling. I am a keen birder and like to be able to spy on things going on in the distance. My question is if its a case of you get what you pay for when it comes to optics and if so what does a good pair cost these days?

Absolutely. You get what you pay for. There is only one to have. Swarovski. Better even than Leica etc. Swarovski. But there is a snag, they are massively expensive. I have two pairs. A set of 10x40 ELs and a set of 7x42 SLCs. I go deer stalking and no binos means no targets. I would spend more on the optics than the rifle. I also have a CT 75 drawer scope from them. Their quality is simply astounding. And their back up service is extraordinary. I have NEVER been charged for any repairs or parts yet.

Start there and work backwards til you get to what you can afford. But if you want fantastic optics for £200 then I'm afraid you're out of luck. Can you get serviceable binos for that money, well of course. But one day you'll look through some Swaros and reailise what you have been missing. It's a bit like driving a Landcruiser actually!!

Chris

Quick edit on weight - Swaros are magnesium alloy - very light. Completely watertight and have a special non stick lens coating. No need to clean or wipe them.

warrenpfo said:
My question is if its a case of you get what you pay for when it comes to optics and if so what does a good pair cost these days?
Absolutely! And they can get rather pricey too. I'm sure a quick google search would throw up prices - best brands IMO are Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski with roof prism lenses. The quality binocs have noticeably better clarity and tend last a lifetime with some basic care.

The next question is what size are you going to go for? Bigger and better magnification generally means more weight - maybe not an issue sitting in your truck but if you're lugging them around the countryside, they're not so much fun.

I have a pair of Zeiss 8x32, which I love but they're certainly not lightweight even though they're fairly compact!

EDIT: Just had a quick look at prices... :shock: Ouch, I didn't realise they were quite that expensive nowadays! Looks like you're in for £1200-1500 depending on brand & model if you go for one of the brands I mentioned.

HTH!

Swarovski

Swarovski

.... you get it. If you can't afford Swarovski - and having just got married, you've left this purchase too late :) - you can consider Leica / Nikon / etc. Go look on http://www.dpreview.com to see what they suggest. Also do a bit of reading on brightness, objective / subjective ratios, etc.

I have a pair of Bushnell no-focus 10x50s I got for the kids to use in Botswana and they're incredibly effective - not the best by any means but damn useful. I also use a pair of Nikon 10x40 (I can't afford Swarovski :( )

To be fair, I didn't say that you HAD to have Swarovski, but they are the best. A lot of this depends on when you want to use them. I stalk dawn and dusk and I am out when it's dark before dawn and dark after sunset. Having a good pair of binos makes all the difference. Many deer come out just as it has gone dark! But if you go bird watching in bright sunlight and nice weather then the difference that you get with awesome optics isn't actually necessary. I have had people come with me when shooting and have brought their binos along. Even when the light is simply starting to fade, all they can see if black through theirs.

In a morning there is no colour, it's all monochrome until the sun actually comes up. Seeing movement and contrast is vital for me.

Chris

Would buying second hand be an option if i could find some swarovski's or best bought new?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you buy second hand Swaros, the guarantee transfers to you. You ring them up with the serial number. But finding them second hand ........

C

I've got some Zeiss 7x42 and a pair of Leica 10x25 for the car. As the others have said you get what you pay for.

What I would suggest is that you go and test some but not on a sunny day. All good quality binos will work well in good sunlight but the great ones are good when it gets duller. When I bought the Zeiss ones a few years ago I couldn't decide between them and a pair at half the price. It was only when I went back for a second look I noticed a huge difference as the day was overcast. The Zeiss ones literally shone.

Cheers

Agree with all the above, Swarovsky all the way...

If you just want a cheapy which performs really well have a look at the one at sevendayshop.com For that price they are excellent!

Back