Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ42 Build (finish off?) thread

I've managed to get the wipers working.

The grounding on the wiper motor was a bit iffy so I did a proper job on that, cleaned up the connectors and removed a few random wires that looked like they'd been used on previous accessories (cut at both ends but still left in place). It didn't work at first, not sure why, so I took out the relay, tested for continuity again, ran the wipers without the relay in, then when I reinstalled the relay everything worked fine. I'm not a big fan of things inexplicably working but I'll take it at this point.

The wiring colours in the manual all seem to match but my physical relays and their locations are quite different (so for example the continuity tests in that manual are wrong for my relays). It should be enough to go on for me, but thought I'd mention it in case you run into anyone else with similar issues.

Well that was short lived. The electrical repairs I'd made so far (the horn and the windscreen wipers) stopped working about an hour after my last post, with no other alterations on my part. Unless anyone has any ideas what might cause this I think I'll probably take it to a garage, I don't think my electrical skills are up to this particular challenge.

I managed to get it into a fit state to take it to the garage to have it tested. There are still some electrical problems that need fixing and a brake issue, but I have at least bought myself a couple of months to do the repairs. I haven't been working on it the last few days, promised the mrs I'd finish the bathroom but I'll be back on it soon.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can get an original 24v horn (Amayama have them, but as always, a little pricey...) One of mine was DOA in the parts box I got with the car and I can't find any information anywhere on getting it apart to repair it. I'm also a bit unsure on the mounting point for the second horn (passenger side in a LHD car) - is it on the rear brace of the battery tray?

Last edited:
Not sure if the following helps but....

My horns mount on the same mounting bolt - one above the other (vertical) but mine are mounted on the rad housing. A while back one of them stopped working and, like you, I realised that access to the internals is not on so I gave the only screw (in centre) a few turns and it worked again. Worth a try?

Cheers
Rodger

Thanks Rodger, I think mine are different, judging by the locations of the wires for the horns, but I'll double check when I get round to it. Whereabouts on the rad housing are yours mounted? Strangely I did fiddle with the screw and managed to get a gentle 'pffft' sound out of it, but it stops after half a second and isn't anywhere near the required volume. I'll just order one from Amayama if I can't get it working.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back