Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj74 1hdt h55f combo!

In the process of getting this project to move forward, the most missing bit of kit is a good compressor.

I had looked at new ones with the limited budget and at second hand ones.. which I think is a very dodgy way of going about it! Just imagine buying a shagged ex spray shop compressor!! Back at stage one so to say!

P1020027.JPG

So I decided to rebuild this.. which I bought for £25 many if not about 12 years ago!

Bought it but never done anything with it. I did a bit of research on it and it turns out to be a very good quality 160 litre tank made by rednal pneumatics! The pump and motor were knackered! And remembered that the guy said that the on off switch unit was new before I bought it.

P1020024.JPG

Apparently the metal thickness on this is twice as thick as the new ones that are made from chinesium!

P1020029.JPG

A 3 horse power motor and after looking into it, it has a very good italian made pump.... a k18c made by chinook made in Italy! Twin cylinder 16cfm pump. Same pump as on the rolair twin cylinder compressor.

P1020031.JPG

So after looking I managed to buy a new old stock pump thats a straight bolt in replacement, admittedly a bit
more expensive than the made in the prc but original to the tank. The capacitor start and run motor is pure chinesium!

P1020034.JPG

The motor came setup for clock wise motion as above... for this pump it needs to turn counter clockwise. So to rectify this, you undo the connecting bars from horizontal and reconnect them vertically i.e. fit the bar to connect u2 to v1 and the same for the connectors on the left.

P1020032.JPG

I bought a cheap clearance regulator, filter and tool lubricator. Then fittings and pipe etc.

P1020035.JPG

Lookin good! Just waiting to receive a new 125mm pulley for the motor and jobs a good one! Really enjoyed this little project and am sure that I'll have more compressed air than what I need and a better bit of kit than a a new one with a thinner walled tank!

Happy days!:thumbup:

Just missing the 24 volt a/c control unit to complete the wiring behind the dash.... even tho the rest of the a/c pipework has a long way to go!!
Great job Iwan !
FWIW I plumbed a complete 12v ac unit from a donor hzj78 in my 24volt hzj75. Just needed a 24-12 converter and 2 relais. So my whole ac unit works on 12v.
I could't find a 24volt unit.

So after getting my 81 welded and back on the road, 45 project is on hold. Thought to get back onto the bj74.

P1020688.JPG

When the front axle was off I remembered that there was a notch in the steering of the front wheels.
It's a proper dirty job cleaning up the front axle components!
P1020689.JPG

Pretty much all there and a lot better when cleaned up.

P1020693.JPG

I bought this swivel rebuild kit about 18 months ago... good to have parts ready on hand!

P1020690.JPG

Very impressed how good the backing plates are for 32 years old.. seen so many rusty ones..
P1020692.JPG

Nice with a good coating of paint. Am aiming to get it back together next weekend and aim to get the front end, shocks and brakes complete in this mission.

Hope to have a good run on this and get some use out of it... :thumbup:

I've kept going with this mission, lots of cleaning, de rusting and painting.

P1020699.JPG

Initially was a bit disapointed with the wiper clamps and looked for others but they were in worse condition then the original ones...

P1020700.JPG

Used the scale to test the knuckle tension, the manual says a range of 7lb to 13lb but from a youtube vid a fella said that if you want to run bigger tyres to set them to 15lb drag. With the thicker shims top and bottom on both sides I've got 12 lb drag on them. So happy to be at the higher end. Before they were soo loose and notchy on the straight ahead line with the thinnest shim on the top also..

P1020703.JPG

Looking good on the wipers.. pleasing to see!

P1020707.JPG

Looking good to be in a more complete state! Have the steering connect bar, drag link and steering damper fitted too.. More to follow as there's plenty of jobs to do on this! :thumbup:

Hi Iwan looking good comeing on well and good to take with you .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's so many aspects to rebuilding this truck and the only way is to look at each one in it's own time. Having fitted the 1hdt in, the 80 alternator is 12 volt and the truck is 24 volt.

P1020708.JPG

So the charging solution is the 24 volt alternator off a Coaster bus. It makes the 80 one look like a baby!

P1020709.JPG

It measures up on the mounts perfect and has the oval plug on it. It's a much bigger unit when side by side!

P1020710.JPG

Nice factory look when fitted.

P1020712.JPG

I've bought a new water pump, but my problem is that the last person who touched this bolt didn't remember to tighten it up and it has been wearing the 14mm spanner head bolt down to a rivet head against the water pump pulley! The thread is worn at the end, and it's evident that coolant has been leaking from there. When I drove this engine in my 81 it used a little bit of water so it wasn't gushing out as such.

So hope to get some time this weekend, waterpump, restore this thread, cambelt and new alternator belts.

If I can knock this lot out, it'll be a good one! :thumbup:

Had a great productive time this weekend.

P1020714.JPG

Saturday tackled the tread for the water pump, a bit nerve racking but luckily I had a m10 1.25 tap which did the trick. Was really worried that the thread had rusted away but it was all there intact. The water ways are absolutely filthy so will have to give it a good flush.

P1020716.JPG

The fuel pump and power steering pump are the ones off the Scottish 81 and when I fitted it I stupidly set the timing to 1.56 which is for the ft motor, I had read the wrong fsm! The setting is 1.29 to 1.35 for the 1hdt.. set at 1.32 and triple checked!

P1020717.JPG

So appart from having an oil change and connecting it up the engine is ready to go!

P1020721.JPG

So Sunday afternoon fitted the front end body work as it stands before rust work, paint and prep.

P1020719.JPG

So essentially the under bonnet is like a blank canvas. Lots of tinkering to be done and quite a good fun part to get everything so that it works.

Then very easy to remove the panels to paint then refit. Then the paint woun't get dirty or damaged. :):thumbup:

Yo Tone! Been hyper with the project yesterday!! Cheers mate. :thumbup:

Had a few hits on this!

P1020731.JPG

Have picked out the original fuel water trap and clutch booster vacuum reservoir. Parts that were on the truck when I got it.

P1020732.JPG

Have this brake booster and mc off a hdj81 next to the original one above it. The pin is 15mm shorter on the 80 one so if not adapted the brake pedal will be lower than the clutch pedal.

bj74 clutch vac setup.jpg

This picture is the best one I could find of whats what in this area on a bj74! Helped massively! It's quite a busy area too!

P1020748.JPG

So both clutch and brake reservoirs, pipework for vac forming. Bought a perkins fuel filter assembly with 10mm pipe fittings. when you go to think where to fit the fuel filter, there isn't space by the batteries closer to the fuel pump. So as the original water separator is in this area it makes sense to fit the filter on the now redundant power steering reservoir mount with an adapted piece of angle iron.

P1020750.JPG

This area is pretty crammed in! But seems to have enough clearance with the brake master cylinder, you can fit a full packet of rizla papers between them lol!

P1020649.JPG

I designed and built this oak framed orangery for a client, this is one of the side walls.

P1020733.JPG

Have been roofing in the workshop on hot sunny days! It's so much easier working in the shade and at floor level!

P1020740.JPG

Over 6.1 meters used a steel frame for the roof support. In the centre there's a 4m x 3m glass roof being fitted to it.

P1020743.JPG

We started to fit the frames on Wednesday morning and got all this fitted in a 10 hour day! Well happy with this job! :thumbup:

2 grand job on the go keep up with the top work and keep the pics comeing it's a big .

Back