Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BOTSWANA OCTOBER 2010 - warning mobile users, lots of pics

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
After months of planning my wife and I headed off to Northern Botswana for the whole month of October. The aim was to do wildlife photography but at the same time, taste the overlanding life in the bush. It was bloody brilliant so I wanted to share some of the experiences. As this is a truck-oriented forum I will keep the write-up focused on truck related things rather than the 1000s of wildlife pics we took! The plan was to rent a Land Cruiser for the first and last weeks of the month and go with a guide during the middle two weeks to concentrate on taking pics. We ended up in a bullet-proof, go-anywhere Hilux for this bit of the journey.

For the month, we planned to cover: Western Panhandle and Tsodilo Hills by ourselves, then NG32 Santadibe concession, then onto Third Bridge and Khwai concession in Moremi, wrapping up with Savute with the guide and his truck, and finally Chobe Riverfront by ourselves. We camped 26 of the 30 nights there and had close experiences with elephant and hyena in the camp. We also quickly learnt how important routines are each evening, particularly as you do photography right up to sunset so sometimes the camp was sorted in the dark.

Both trucks we had were HZJ76R series and had front and rear diffs. These were kitted out for overlanding by David at selfdrive adventures based in Maun. Full equipment list on the website. The tyres were nothing special which initially had us worried given the thickness of the sand but actually proved to be no issue. The trucks had compressors so no big deal on that front. David was a great bloke and really flexible, twice allowing us to pick up the night before to prep the truck and so on. I’d use him again and recommend him. Each truck was a little bit different in layout [the first one was better]. I think these 76 series are capable but so have some slightly soft trimmings that aren’t really for the bundu-bashing. Apparently the aircon can be an issues with this model – leaking under the glovebox. We had one do this. Spare fuel was carried on three jerries on the roof. I didn't mind as it was diesel - the servo guys were happy to clamber up and fill them up too. Earthing comprised tapping the can - at least it wasn't petrol :o . The roof-top tents were two-man and I now know why I'm happy with the bigger RTT on my truck here. It was nice however to have all four sides open while sleeping - Eezi-Awns doing what they were designed for rather than hiding from the mizzle as we have to do here.

Toyota rules Botswana. Nearly every vehicle you see outside the parks is some form of a Toyota, even many sedans. In the National Parks things were different as we saw quite a lot of Defenders being used by both safari companies and also self-drivers, and some Nissans. Most self-driving Brits seemed to hire Defenders while other nationalities had a big mix with Hilux/Nissan/Mitsubishi and a couple of HUGE Fords. Most of the rentals we saw were bakkies with RTTs and Howling Moon was an extremely popular brand. Many of the modern bakkies didn’t have such a good clearance and recovery points were sparse. We saw six or seven UK registered 4wds but all of them were Defenders – where are all the LC drivers? Saw a smattering of cool 80 and 100 series [105] LCs, a few Discos and one Range Rover in Savuti that looked a bit out of place with all that chrome. I’d not noticed how loud Defender diesels were before, but when sitting at a kill you could always tell a Defender approaching and idling. There was also a popular Landcruiser LX driving about which goes up against Defenders in the market and are selling well apparently - i think they are 79 series.

Being the dry season we were prepared [mentally] for sand driving and were initially tentative on the first encounter. However, we quickly realised the truck was fine and handled even deep sand tracks without adjusting tyre pressures down. We were stuck only once when we went into a deep sandy gully but it took only 10 minutes to clear, by hand, a lot of sand in front of the four wheels and rear diff. We then lock both diffs [which immediately engaged] and drove out of the gully. Although we didn’t go through from Savuti to Kasane in the park this time – instead we took the tar via Nata – we are convinced we could do the sand throughout Moremi in a Land Cruiser now at least in the dry season. The wet season is a different matter though as even the locals wouldn't touch big parts of the northern Botswana.

Tracks 4 Africa software was fantastic. We used it on a Garmin 60CSX on the dash, plugged into a USB slot on cigarette lighter multiple extension, and it worked a treat. We always knew where petrol was and had confidence to take tracks knowing the general, and actually nearly always specific, direction/trail to take. It was also nice to capture tracks as you did them in the parks.

In the middle weeks, the guide Grant’s Hilux proved to be a great performer. We were off-road in all of the concessions driving through and over all sorts of tough terrain and it didn’t skip a beat. Only one puncture, too, after travelling through some lead wood on the banks of Khwai River. In this leg of the journey we spent a lot of time crossing water. It was a petrol truck so no snorkel and we kept to just under bonnet height at the very deepest. Grant suggested tubed tyres as the only way to go for the most serious off-roading. Botswana has had a combination of heavy rain plus extra rain in Angola which feeds the Okavango, so a lot of places that were flooded in February are still holding water today. Grant had only last seen Savuti Channel flooded in 1980 as a child so he was gobsmacked when we visited. The marsh was filling up gradually and the Channel looks like it will run for a couple of years if the rain is right. In fact, T4A still shows a track at the bottom of Savuti Channel although I hadn’t updated the data to the October release as I was away.

The wildlife is reacting to this too – we saw over 300 elephant together there. In addition, the famous elephant-hunting pride of lions has been broken up and just before we got to Savuti, a prominent lion and lioness were killed by a coalition of five brothers that is further causing change to the predators. We saw plenty of Wild Dog too which was a highlight.

Our first camp at Nguma Island Lodge
BotswanaBowryDux-2.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-1.jpg

Our first sand
BotswanaBowryDux-3.jpg

The ubiquitous site in Botswana
BotswanaBowryDux-4.jpg

The indestructable Hilux
BotswanaBowryDux-10.jpg

Our first big water crossing with Grant. In the middle we passed a bloke on a canoe
BotswanaBowryDux-5.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-6.jpg

The ground water was everywhere but the tracks were solid underneath
BotswanaBowryDux-7.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-8.jpg

More water crossings
BotswanaBowryDux-12.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-14.jpg

In the afternoon we'd pop down to the river and take a dip to cool off. We would canoe out to a sandbank and get out for a beer and snacks while wading. It is shallow enough in this part of the river not to worry bout crocs in the dry season. However one day this male bull elephant turned up next to the river while we were in it. Cue three crab-like figures walking the canoe back to the other sure while remaining neck deep and low so as not the antagonise the guy. A quick jump out - by this time the elephant was in the water drinking where we'd just been. We retreated to the hilux and the old boy sauntered past us.
BotswanaBowryDux-13.jpg

Couple of the types of sandy tracks we were driving on
BotswanaBowryDux-18.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-19.jpg

The famous third bridge in Moremi
BotswanaBowryDux-15.jpg

Not just a sheep to dodge. This guy stood there and we drove right up to him in the Hilux and he didn't budge. We could have patted his trunk as we went past - never looked that closely into the eye of an African elephant without a lens before.
BotswanaBowryDux-20.jpg

When dealing with the only puncture we had we were farting about with the high-life jack but the truck kept moving so out came the bottle jack. While doing this I happened to look over my shoulder and a bull elephant had wandered out behind us.
BotswanaBowryDux-16.jpg

Grant noticed looking across the Savuti marsh that a truck was stuck so we stopped watching a bunch of Roan Antelope, gathered up some wood and went off to rescue them. The Dutch couple had decided that the water on the track was getting too deep so the nice grass on the side of the track may be better. Bad move given that at least the base of the tracks are solid. We turned up and saw the axles were under and it was going nowhere. We tried pulling it with a cable but no luck. We therefore set about lifting the back with out high-lift jack and wedging the logs we had procured under both rear wheels one at a time. The Nissan was hard to jack at the back and impossible at the front - the whole bumper looked like creaking up. We therefore got the shovels out and dug channels for the front wheels and put down sand mats to ensure they had something to grab. A sort of winch/snatch later and they were free. In the meantime my wife was able to fulfil a fantasy of being a game ranger and I was able to dabble in Savuti Skiing.
BotswanaBowryDux-21.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-23.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-22.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-24.jpg

We saw what we'd thought was another dead elephant [we'd seen three] right next to the track on the way out of Savuti but it turned out the old guy was sleeping and sure enough he got up indignantly when we got near to him necessitated a bit of acceleration. I have put this is because it is rare to see them sleeping on the ground like this.
BotswanaBowryDux-25.jpg

In Maun prepping the second truck to head off to Kasane
BotswanaBowryDux-26.jpg

This is the new road being built between Kasane and Nata - the roadworks stretch on for almost 200km. Lots of trucks bombing south to South Africa on this side road which made driving a bit tricky although most were courteous......most
BotswanaBowryDux-29.jpg

Our camp site in Ihaha - it was fantastic and we saw leopard in the morning about 1km from the camp
BotswanaBowryDux-30.jpg

BotswanaBowryDux-31.jpg

The Botswana equivalent of the Range Rover and horse float
BotswanaBowryDux-27.jpg

In Maun they had a T-Shirt saying donkey capital of the world and I don't think tourists would get....until they drove any of the roads. Cows, sheep and donkeys were a constant threat and one night we had a stretch in darkness and they become a BIG threat. At least drivers put their hazards on to warn others.
BotswanaBowryDux-28.jpg

An easy track in Chobe riverfront
BotswanaBowryDux-32.jpg

We took this picture to cheer us up when we got back to the UK. Here's to boringly predictable weather!
BotswanaBowryDux-17.jpg

The end but actually for us, definitely a beginning
BotswanaBowryDux-11.jpg

Yes, don't worry about this being a Land Cruiser forum - this is precisely what the Trip Reports section is for. Stick as much as you like on there. It's fantastic stuff.

Chris

Great write-up, Simon! Thanks for sharing and glad you enjoyed it! I suspect there are more than a few of us with major envy right now!

Thanks for that Simon :thumbup: , you certainly know how to make a chap jealous :sick: .

enjoyed that - thanks for sharing report and photos!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very interesting indeed. Thanks

Huh, lets see you make trip around North wales so appealling... :mrgreen:

Splendid post, vay jealous :cool:

Gav Peter said:
Huh, lets see you make trip around North wales so appealling... :mrgreen:

Splendid post, vay jealous :cool:

:D :D Maybe I can stick some elephants in the Welsh country side with Photoshop....I saw the pics from the weekend and it looked fun (not your bit Karl) but we're both a bit scared of the cold! ;)

Chris, once i've sorted out our shots i'll post a couple of wildlife shots. :) :whistle: To be honest, we've been a bit in limbo since we got back because while on transit through J'burg airport, baggage handlers stole our pelicase with camera gear in it :angry-cussingblack: . I hate J'burg airport - 100% steal rate for me there and the customer service is appalling as they denied my three bags entered South Africa despite sending two of the three to me in the subsequent weeks :evil: . OR Tambo airport is a disgrace and the companies that run the baggage there are a disgrace. Air Botswana sent me a mail which basically said, "your bags got to J'burg and the handlers must have liked what they saw on the X-ray". Apparently there is a scam where they scan it, take off the label and put a new label on it which is then picked up by a mate. somebody told me the only way to ensure stuffed gets tracked better is to put a starter's pistol in your bag, declare it as a firearm and then they track it like a hawk. However, apparently even firearms go missing......

SimonD said:
To be honest, we've been a bit in limbo since we got back because while on transit through J'burg airport, baggage handlers stole our pelicase with camera gear in it :angry-cussingblack: . I hate J'burg airport - 100% steal rate for me there and the customer service is appalling as they denied my three bags entered South Africa despite sending two of the three to me in the subsequent weeks :evil: . OR Tambo airport is a disgrace and the companies that run the baggage there are a disgrace. Air Botswana sent me a mail which basically said, "your bags got to J'burg and the handlers must have liked what they saw on the X-ray". Apparently there is a scam where they scan it, take off the label and put a new label on it which is then picked up by a mate. somebody told me the only way to ensure stuffed gets tracked better is to put a starter's pistol in your bag, declare it as a firearm and then they track it like a hawk. However, apparently even firearms go missing......
Bad luck, Simon - I'd second you on your vote for OR Tambo :thumbdown: What a f*$£ up of an airport and the people running are at best incompetent and at worst plain crooks. Don't you believe that the firearm story helps that much - last time I flew through there with a gun, I saw the contracted security guy loading my gun onto a different plane to the one I was about to board!! I got the gun back 5 days later after complaining high and low but no compensation or even an apology and I had to drive back to Durban (4hr round trip) to collect my gun (not to mention the fact that I was technically breaking SA gun laws by neither having the gun in my physical possession nor secured in a safe at all times while in SA!)... :evil:

We now put big rubber snakes in the top of our kids' suitcases when flying home now - our stuff might still get pinched but the satisfaction of knowing that the robber first soiled himself when he opened the bag is perversely satisfying! (your average African would gladly take on an AK47 rather than face a snake!)

[/Rant]

Hope you enjoyed the trip despite the African "taxes"! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Yep, I love SA but that bloody airport does my head in. We've vowed never to fly there again, which makes Kruger a bit trickier. Capetown is better but the airport there is getting worse for stealing apparently too. They are extending the runway at Maun to take international flights so SA better watch out. The sting in the tail was that Air France kicked us in through SA immigration to pay excess luggage on luggage they didn't even have in their possession :angry-screaming:

That's priceless! When we went home for Christmas last December we flew via Dubai direct to Durban, which was much more pleasant experience as we only needed to collect our luggage and leave the airport!
It's sad that a country that depends so much on tourism (and has a huge amount to offer in that regard) cannot make it straight-forward, safe and pleasant for the money-bearing tourists to get in and out of the country...

Re: BOTSWANA OCTOBER 2010 - warning mobile users, lots of pi

One year on and missing Botswana - realised i hadn't posted the wildlife pics I said I would so here are a couple.

Fantastic pics. Where and what time of day did you take the leopard shot?

Cracking pics Simon, how did you get so close :shock: or maybe you have an excellent long focus lens :think:

fridayman said:
Fantastic pics. Where and what time of day did you take the leopard shot?

Early morning, say 0730 on Chobe riverfront, grey sky unfortunately but she was very relaxed and we had her to ourselves for a while.

Cossack said:
Cracking pics Simon, how did you get so close :shock: or maybe you have an excellent long focus lens :think:

:angry-screaming: used to Chas, used to [it was nicked on this trip at J'burg airport as per earlier in thread] . However, Botswana is great for getting pretty close to the wildlife :thumbup:

Back