Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Browntrouser time!

I guess that's in Russia - where people can buy a Driving Licence without taking a test.

Some (all?) of the driving in the vid is just lunacy :icon-rolleyes:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I guess that's in Russia - where people can buy a Driving Licence without taking a test. Some (all?) of the driving in the vid is just lunacy :icon-rolleyes:. Bob.

Many of the Youtube "car-crash" vids are from Russia, but the driving "style" in Eastern Europe is much the same over.

Every night on the news is at least one more head-on crash or more, where the concept of keeping to the right (correct) side of the road has still not sunk in as a good idea.

Maybe 9 times out of 10 they get away with it when the conditions are good, but once there's some snow about or wet/greasy roads, those odds come down sharpish and folks die.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to mount the verge on main/national roads, to avoid a car or truck ploughing down my side of the road.

The driving test here is quite adequate IMO, but the methods of teaching leave a lot to be desired. When my wife learned of an official instructor, I asked her how he went about it. My memories of driving lessons in the UK during the late 60's, we started by learning clutch control, holding the car on a hill without using the brakes, hill starts, reversing on hills, both up and down, all the things that enable you to control a car. My instructor even took me on a private road area in the winter (which probably wouldn't be allowed now) to let me feel what happens when grip is lost and how best to recover from over and under-steer situations.

I have appreciated that a lot since those early days, we have all played on a car park in the snow at some time in our driving years, and that's where you learn what works and what makes things worse. Here, my wife said there's none of that, they just teach you to change gear and what the traffic lights mean.

The last words from my Driving Test Inspector were, "OK Mr. Horridge, you have passed the Driving Test, but from now on you will learn how to drive".

Wise words, IMO.

The last words from my Driving Test Inspector were, "OK Mr. Horridge, you have passed the Driving Test, but from now on you will learn how to drive".

Wise words, IMO.

Did we have the same instructor? mine said exactly the same thing to me, must be told to say that in their job training.

Did we have the same instructor? mine said exactly the same thing to me, must be told to say that in their job training.

:lol: Doubtful Chas, he was old when he passed me but not that old... :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: Did yer man carry a red flag Chas? :think:

I'm warning you.
arrow-2.gif

because of the amount of insurance fraud in russia most cars have cameras fitted, hence the number of vids, although they do have a high accident rate. In my experience, the further east you go, the worse the driving gets! It reaches a zenith somewhere around India!
I think the problem in Eastern Europe (other than that, as above, you don't actually have to pass a test, you can just buy a license if you know the right people) is that they still think they're driving an old lada, but now they're an X5

Back