Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Building a mongrel Landcruiser

mettisse

Supporter
Apologies if this is old hat, but I have been watching a lot of you tube videos with Ronnie Dahl, Andrew PW and Paul Marsh, by and large I agree all the time with their comments. They talk sense, but, and it’s a big but, they all favour the 70 series Landcruiser. You see I’m an 80 owner, before that a Discovery 1 owner, before that a Range Rover Classic owner , I like 4wd, disc brakes all round and coil springs all round. For me, that is the ultimate package. I loved the V8, too thirsty, I still love the 300tdi, ( still got a couple) but I really love the 1HDT, silky smooth power, enough to tow the Ark Royal. So, if I were to build from Toyota parts the ultimate Landcruiser what parts would be chosen, I suppose start with a coil sprung 80 chassis, a troopy body , are the axles stronger on a 70?, motor/ auto box from an 80, , what do you think? Or would this be work for work sake?
Now this is only a cabin fever pipe dream , but I think all the Toyota ingredients are there, just in the wrong cake.
Best regards to all, Bill Westley

I think Shauns new dirty 30 is a bit of a frankencruiser (4wdaction)

Apologies if this is old hat, but I have been watching a lot of you tube videos with Ronnie Dahl, Andrew PW and Paul Marsh, by and large I agree all the time with their comments. They talk sense, but, and it’s a big but, they all favour the 70 series Landcruiser. You see I’m an 80 owner, before that a Discovery 1 owner, before that a Range Rover Classic owner , I like 4wd, disc brakes all round and coil springs all round. For me, that is the ultimate package. I loved the V8, too thirsty, I still love the 300tdi, ( still got a couple) but I really love the 1HDT, silky smooth power, enough to tow the Ark Royal. So, if I were to build from Toyota parts the ultimate Landcruiser what parts would be chosen, I suppose start with a coil sprung 80 chassis, a troopy body , are the axles stronger on a 70?, motor/ auto box from an 80, , what do you think? Or would this be work for work sake?
Now this is only a cabin fever pipe dream , but I think all the Toyota ingredients are there, just in the wrong cake.
Best regards to all, Bill Westley
Just like the parts of an Airbus 380 are built in many different places, we could do the same for your Frankenlandcruiser, then when lockdown is over we could all bring the parts to you for assembly.

Just thinking out of my lockdown box.

I've lost myself in this fantasy many a sleepless night and while i will get shot for saying it i think it would start with a Defender 110 chassis just because they are readily available new and galvanized . I'd likely end up with a shorter wheelbase 80 that looked like a 40 series pickup .

I think Shauns new dirty 30 is a bit of a frankencruiser (4wdaction)
Oh yes what a great car, but I’m not a tray back fan but a nice cabin body on the back would be nice. In the warmer climes, a “ live out” truck works a treat, but when the weather goes Pete Tong I feel you need something you can eat/ sit/ sleep in works better, hence the Troopy body, I sill envy the Dirty 30 tho’

I've lost myself in this fantasy many a sleepless night and while i will get shot for saying it i think it would start with a Defender 110 chassis just because they are readily available new and galvanized . I'd likely end up with a shorter wheelbase 80 that looked like a 40 series pickup .
About 8/9 years ago I went on a French 4x4 “do” called the “Croisiere Blanche” open to cars, bikes and Quads, held in the French Alps. The show stopper that year was a 110 body on an 80 chassis with the 1HDT motor/ gearbox, Superbly built and the attention to detail was amazing . Built to overland travel and “ live in” . The owner was a Spanish man who was obviously very well off, but what a truck, it was truly beautiful. And this is what I’m talking about, I always feel that motor manufacturers don’t always “ give all” , well they did with the 80 series but probably that was the only one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Делая упор на долголетний навык в этом деле и профессиональную команду мастеров своего дела, по , капитальный ремонт скважины, промывка ливневой канализации, промывка скважины, очистка дождевой канализации, прочистка дренажной канализации, замена водоподъёмной трубы в скважине, периодическое обслуживание скважин и т.д. Подобные сервисы обширно можно применять в разнообразных направлениях, например таких как ирригация, сельское хоз-то, комерческий или жилой комплекс. Наша бригада спецов обладает обширным профессиональным опытом в этих областях, это позволяет нашей корпорации выполнять данные услуги такие услуги как ремонт скважины, промывка канализации, промывка ливневой канализации, замена труб в скважине, промывка дренажной канализации, удаление песчано-иловых отложений из скважины, промывка дождевой канализации, поставка скважинных труббыстро и с большой отдачей. Предлагаемые услуги постоянно применяются всеми нашими заказчиками за их быстрое выполнение и конкурентноспособную расценочную программу.
What, now I've got to put Google Translate into overdrive.

Делая упор на долголетний навык в этом деле и профессиональную команду мастеров своего дела, по , капитальный ремонт скважины, промывка ливневой канализации, промывка скважины, очистка дождевой канализации, прочистка дренажной канализации, замена водоподъёмной трубы в скважине, периодическое обслуживание скважин и т.д. Подобные сервисы обширно можно применять в разнообразных направлениях, например таких как ирригация, сельское хоз-то, комерческий или жилой комплекс. Наша бригада спецов обладает обширным профессиональным опытом в этих областях, это позволяет нашей корпорации выполнять данные услуги такие услуги как ремонт скважины, промывка канализации, промывка ливневой канализации, замена труб в скважине, промывка дренажной канализации, удаление песчано-иловых отложений из скважины, промывка дождевой канализации, поставка скважинных труббыстро и с большой отдачей. Предлагаемые услуги постоянно применяются всеми нашими заказчиками за их быстрое выполнение и конкурентноспособную расценочную программу.
Hold on a minute; I have to change the battery in my hearing aid I can’t hear a blinking word..................

Its a spam ad for a sewage , drainage , irrigation company .

The 45 has a longer wheelbase than an 80! It's one of the longer wheelbase cruisers you can find! If you plonk a 45 cab on an 80 chassis the rear wheels would be very close to the back of the cab. (if you want the front chassis overhang). Forget the 110 defender as you would be wasting very rare parts on a lemon and it wouldn't be what you fantasize for! :thumbup: 116" is the 45 wheel base....

Last edited:
Readily available brand new and i did think the LR would have a significantly shorter wheelbase which to my mind would be an advantage but i just learned there's less than 1.5 inch difference .

But don't forget that you can't substitute second best for first class mate!

I posted on one of David's threads not long ago a custom made and supplied aluminium 40 body to fit an 80 chassis but i can't find it .

I posted on one of David's threads not long ago a custom made and supplied aluminium 40 body to fit an 80 chassis but i can't find it .
I met a guy years ago in France (12/13 years) on a 4x4 “do” who was from Belgium, and he manufactured stainless steel body panels and complete bodies in aluminium for 40 series, he gave me a very nice key ring ( Toyota) would you know, I lost the key ring and his very posh business card. What a numpty eh? Whether he still does it who knows, but he was driving the product at the time, it was a medium wheelbase model with a 2h motor, and beautiful. There is a guy in Gap ( French Alps) who I only met briefly with a 40 that has a complete fibreglass body, and I believe a V8 Lexus motor in. I have some video of i, if I can suss it out I’ll post it here. But that is a leaf spring job. So it’s not an unthinkable project, everything has already been done before. The long wheelbase 40 is in my opinion a very attractive vehicle, but as I said, I like the coil springs, disc brakes etc. This lockdown dreaming has no boundaries.

I met a guy years ago in France (12/13 years) on a 4x4 “do” who was from Belgium, and he manufactured stainless steel body panels and complete bodies in aluminium for 40 series, he gave me a very nice key ring ( Toyota) would you know, I lost the key ring and his very posh business card. What a numpty eh? Whether he still does it who knows, but he was driving the product at the time, it was a medium wheelbase model with a 2h motor, and beautiful. There is a guy in Gap ( French Alps) who I only met briefly with a 40 that has a complete fibreglass body, and I believe a V8 Lexus motor in. I have some video of i, if I can suss it out I’ll post it here. But that is a leaf spring job. So it’s not an unthinkable project, everything has already been done before. The long wheelbase 40 is in my opinion a very attractive vehicle, but as I said, I like the coil springs, disc brakes etc. This lockdown dreaming has no boundaries.
I don’t know if this works, it’s shaky I phone video of the saiid 40 , it’s a beautifully presented truck, he is a better mechanic than driver, the yellow jeep at the end is mine, although that is not a jeep it’s a fr@nenstein, ( Range Rover chassis, ‘79, CJ 7 steel body etc)

Last edited:
I’ll try again later but I download it, press the done button but it don’t stick. teknology eh?

Back