Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying a HDJ80R.. Or Building?

James

Country Flag
england
Hello everyone, I am completely new to cars let alone Land Cruisers and that is why I'm here.

If you lot don't mind, I have quite a few questions about the HDJ80 series of Land Cruisers. I know absolutely nothing about LC's or really cars in general so apologies if some of what I'm talking about
sounds silly or is just something that can't be done, I just don't know but I have a dream! haha. I have always loved Land Cruisers (my Dad owns a UZJ100 and it's what I learned to drive in) however
I have only just got in to off roading as my best mate just got his first car a Jeep Wrangler so our camping trips have gone from hiking to our camping sites to off roading to them and it's been a blast.

So obviously I'm pretty addicted to 4WD now and I would really like my own 4WD and by the looks of things (to me at least) the 80 Series Land Cruiser is the best especially the diesels so I'm pretty
set on getting my hands on a turbodiesel 80 series Land Cruiser if I can save up enough to buy one in few years!

Unfortunately though my quick looks at the listings all show 200,000Km+ cars a lot even scraping up on Half A Million Km which I suppose is tribute to just how great these vehicles are but I am hoping
to get something with a lot less mileage on it. So that said here are some of my questions:

• Is it economical/possible to buy a HDJ80R that's in ruff shape, fix it up and buy a brand new 1HD-T and pop it in so I essentially have a brand new HDJ80R?
  • What kind of mileage should I be looking for in a second hand if what I've asked above is not possible?
  • What mods are considered a must be done? (for example but not to say it must be done, I just helped my mate install a 3" lift with 35" MT's which has made off roading a lot easier)
  • What are some good sites to look at parts for the 80 Series? (Things like aftermarket bumpers, roof racks, winches, kits ect..)
  • Anything else you would be willing to share with me from your own experience, something I should have have asked but didn't I'd appreciate you're knowledge if you've got some?

Thanks so much for your time, sorry if I've asked to do anything blasphemous I'm still learning!

where abouts are you james? as your dad has the uzj100 dont think you get them here can be corrected.

Hey Stumog, I live in Australia. I'm from Britain though.

James, you mean something like this?

James,

I wouldn't be too concerned about a vehicle with a mere 200K kms on the clock. My own HDJ80 has the equivalent of 280K kms and the engine hasn't missed a beat.

Reading the forums, both here and on Ih8mud.com there are relatively few issues with the engine and a new one would be mega money.

Of more concern would be the running gear, suspension, bushes etc on what at least will be a 16 to 20 year old truck.

In the UK rust is a bit of an issue but the 80 series seems to suffer less than some other types. My own 70 series is falling to bits with rust round the back wheel arches but the 80 is almost rust free. This would be of less a concern in Australia with it's a drier climate and you won't suffer from salt on the roads in winter.

The aftermarket part supply in Aus seems to be better than here in the UK with one of the members on here, Ben, actually working for a 4x4 company. He may chip in and suggest suppliers etc.

Just some thought.

Cheers

Just like that Chris, very nice.

Thanks Richard, that is the kind of stuff I need to know as I don't have a clue is 200K km on this engine is terrible or fine
really I don't care so long as the engine runs perfectly as I'm planning on upgrading a lot of running parts such as getting
a lift and 35" MT's I would like to really do up a HDJ80 something like the one I have linked but with a more subtle paint
job and a winch! Would be really nice.

Good to hear the aftermarket supplies here aren't bad also, thanks for that!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back