Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying a new 80 radiator

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, as some of you know I has 'issues' with my Milner rad, so on Monday they had it back. I then placed an order from AutoKool. These people are primarily an Aircon business based just North of Chesterfield. The rad had the correct OE part numbers and dimensions and was very slightly cheaper than the Milner rad. It came today, ordered Monday evening for £7.50 by UPS. What can I say? Firstly it weighs at least twice as much as the Milner one. It is ALL steel construction. No plastic headers or anything. It is all fully coated. Even the fins. I think that this will outlast the truck. Couple of points, there were some loose bits of solder to fish out of the header and the pipe fittings where the auto box couples on are fixed pipes not the screw on fitting that come with the original. Well one less joint I suppose.

The OE brackets fit straight on without needing to be drilled out!! I shall fit it tonight and take some pics. I will then put up a post with the pics in reverse so that it looks like a guide on how to take one out. It's no mystery, but it can go up on the 'how to' section for those who have never taken one out before.

All round a very decent looking rad. i will put up pics of the unit on the next thread. Someone mentioned changing the rad yesterday and where to get one from. So far I'd say Autokool.

Chris

Nice one Chris - could you refresh my memory as to the price...

that sounds good

one other choice is to send your rad off to be re-cored- typically about£300 but they can often add triple corse, wide angle fins to aid airflow etc etc- they can also pressure test current rads!

How many cores does it have Chris?

It was £190 delivered. Looked at a re-core and I still have the original which I'd do as a spare. But I couldn't find anyone locally who could do that. In terms of cores, Uhm no idea. I will go and count them.

Chris

Chris said:
In terms of cores, Uhm no idea. I will go and count them.

Chris
Don't do what I did when asked the same question and count left to right :doh: :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, not a clue. Thought I knew what I was looking for but couldn't tell when I got there. It's black though if that helps?

Chris

Chris said:
OK, not a clue. Thought I knew what I was looking for but couldn't tell when I got there. It's black though if that helps?

Chris
A Black one you say.... sounds sinsiter.... a nice Silver one is so much more uplifting :D

Take the rad cap off and see how many rows of 'tubes' there are front to back... if you only have one oblong one make sure you don't take your truck anywhere hot ;)

I was peering into the wrong end and couldn't see too well. Ahh the top you say? It's three. So I can go somewhere hot then. Like err Gloucestershire?

It looks like this:

IMG00002-20100922-1257.jpg

Nice one, I will be replacing my rad, AGAIN, soon :x

I might just check out Autokool :thumbup:

Chris,

Im after a rad as well, can you post a link to the autocool you got it from please

Andy

Andy said:
Chris,

Im after a rad as well, can you post a link to the autocool you got it from please

Andy
Looks like it might be THIS one for the manual, or THIS one for the auto Andy :thumbup:

Interestingly the auto rad is £13 cheaper than the auto one :?

Thanks for that, I've just ordered one!

Sorry about that. I copied the link but never pasted it in. Well it's fitted and it went in a dream. Every dimension was perfect. Every bolt hole and stud was spot on. Much tougher than the Milner one for sure. Only wee criticism is that the left hand (from the front) pipe for the auto cooling could have been angled slightly. It makes the pipe a bit short. I took want I could from the other end in terms of slack and it's fine, but a longer bit of 3/8 pipe might be wise just to make sure that there is a bit of flex in the system. Very pleased indeed.

Truck wouldn't start though! Left it on Monday, no rad in til tonight, absolutely would not fire up. The new starter got a good work out though. In the end after going through everything else, I poured some fuel straight into the fuel line and in the end it went. Happy as Larry now. I was on orange light conditions but it was not empty. Maybe it somehow siphoned back into the tank. When I pump the little mushroom on the fuel filter housing nothing happens. It never has. There is no feel to it at all even when running. Previous pumps have actually felt as though they are pumping,. but this one doesn't. Is there an issue with them? Can I strip it at all?

Chris

My rad from autokool arrived today, only ordered it wed night.

As Chris said, looks VV well made, all metal, 3 cores thick & very heavy.
Not going to fit it just yet, waiting to get my garage area cleared a bit (anyone want to buy a motorbike???!!!) so I can get the truck in & to the BEBs, Rad, UJ's & hopefully wholesale autos valve body for the auto box

BUT, have got to lift the garage roof a couple of inches first!

Andy

I just bought one too Chris :) mine is all rusted inside and not sonsure it'll survive Sudan and Egypt..
This is getting silly now, roof top tent, fridge, radiator! What's next! (hint;))
Thanks for doing all the research :thumbup:

Back