Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bye Bye Willow, Hello ????????????

Cheers James, I thought you were selling yours or have I got it wrong as usual.

She is in fantastic shape apart from the stupid rear lights. I have e-mailed Stef but heard nowt yet.

The LPG conversion seems to be between £1200 and £1600 depending on system and if it has flashlube, which I want.
May take some time to pay back in savings but I reckon er-in-doors will keep this one for a while.

Imagine getting into a motor that says 202,000 on the clock but feels more like 35,000, it's superb. I have found a fault though, there is a slight trace of oil on one of the front hubs so a bit of a rebuild required but you can't get perfection with that mileage.

Wouldn't you convert it yourself Les, it's not all that hard and saves you quite a bit of money?

I had a few bad experiences with my Disco on LPG so want it fitted properly with a certificate.

The Disco was done by a (tongue in cheek here) professional outfit right back when LPG first started but as soon as the first year was up I had loads of issues.
I could source the tanks myself which will save a few bob but I'm having the kit fitted. Also I don't know much about the newer multipoint kits. The Disco was a single point into the manifold, a backfire would turn the air filter into confetti and blow the filter box to bits.

Ten years back I would have given it a shot!! now I am a chicken :animals-chicken:

The new multi point sequential injection systems and advanced ECU's make it quite a simple but time consuming process. The system I installed calibrates itself although you can then go in and tweak it from a PC if you really want to. After I installed mine I just took it to my local LPG installers to be inspected and certified. I was being quoted £2400 for the install I wanted but it cost me about £1000 to fit a Tinley Tech sourced system myself.

Starts to look a bit more like I might want to do the job myself. Did you get the tanks and all the kit?
Are the fitting instructions okay?

I'm sure I am capable of doing the job, just a bit daunting when faced with something new.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ecky Thump said:
Starts to look a bit more like I might want to do the job myself. Did you get the tanks and all the kit?
Are the fitting instructions okay?
I bought a complete kit from Tinley Tech. If you look in their shop you'll see you choose the kit to suit your number of cylinders / bhp and then choose the size of tank you want. I also ordered their ready made injector wiring loom which is well worth it for IIRC £30, a serial cable so I could set it up and an electronic Flash Lube kit.

Ecky Thump said:
I'm sure I am capable of doing the job, just a bit daunting when faced with something new.
I was the same, I'd never even used an LPG vehicle before never mind installed a kit so it was a learning curve but the flip side is I am now *very* familiar with my LPG install :thumbup: The couple of times I needed to ask a question Tinley Tech were very helpful and knowledgeable. They also do inspection and certification so being further south than me that might work better for you than your local installer.

Some parts of the install were a bit of a PITA but not in a technical sense, just bending pipes and getting them to go where you want, working out where the tank will go and how to mount it (comes with a bracket and straps), stuff that makes you curse a bit at the time but nothing major. I did my install in stages over a couple of weeks when I had time so apart from certain points like when the inlet manifold was off I could still use the truck the whole time.

The money I saved installing it myself was what made it viable for me otherwise I would struggle to recoup the costs even at 54p per litre :mrgreen:

Cheers for that Jon. Makes me feel a little easier.

I will look up Tinley Tech and do a bit of study.

Just a little update on the new 80.

The LPG conversion is done with a huge 100 litre (84 useable) tank where the spare used to be.
I'll do some photos of the system soon.

Sadly she failed the MOT the other day on just a broken front spring.
I have bought and fitted a pair of front springs and i'm ready for the retest tomorrow :clap: wish us luck :pray:

hi all,

just picked up my new pride and joy, '95 4.5 on LPG. drove from Coventry to London on Saturday just passed and was so glad to be in a cruiser. stage 2 was yesterday, London to Brussels, again we cruised past a lot of abandoned cars in ditches.

the only problem I have so far is the LPG tank. it's a 70lt version so I can only put 46lt in. i get about 135miles from this. I have a quote for a 100lt tank for under the rear, does anyone know how hard it is to DIY fit one of these?....

Thx

Gavin

Hi Gavin

I tried to reply to this from Brussels yesterday but my phone wouldn't let me.
The 100l tank under the rear of ours is bolted to two bars welded to the chassis rail. I imagine a framework could be fabricated if you don't weld.
The hardest part would be plumbing it all in so depends how proficient you are?

The 100l tank is now giving 87l usable which makes your tank sound a bit odd. I would have expected at least 60l usable not 46l. Might be worth having it checked out as it may be a cheaper fix than a new tank. The Belgians seem to favor LPG or GPL as it is known so there must be a few experts about.

Good luck with it. It's certainly worth having the system if you can carry more gas.

Back