Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camber adjustment

Bazz1340

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys....I have replaced ALL the Bushes and Cushions,Track rod ends,Shocks,Steering damper etc on my 1988 LJ70..Had the Tracking and Wheels aligned, Tyres balanced etc..However i am getting serious steering wheel shimmy at 45MPH , when just myself in the truck,but hardly any wobble with passengers aboard. Having done a bit of research on Google it seems the Caster may be incorrect !!! I have kept the original Springs installed and wondered if they have compressed slightly over time and with me replacing all the bushes etc it has changed the caster ?? The truck is standard height not having been raised. How do i correct the Caster ?? Would it be by using Shims installed on the Rear of the Leading Arms ??

I have the same running gear year on mine. It's probably the passenger front wheel giving the feedback that you're feeling. Mine is doing exactly the same thing, same speed too and the only difference to when it was fine is that I fitted a set of 80 series alloys with circa 33" tyres on it. I have 80 series front springs on it and they give about a 4" lift. I was going to suggest wheel balancing.. but reread your post, but in my case I believe the tyre has a flat spot and giving the shakes! Or the front panard rod lower bush has worn out?

If you say that you have sagged standard suspension... then it improves (wrong word) caster as apposed to raising the truck which puts the caster out which will make the tyre follow the contour of the road and you're steering into the road.

Check the front passenger side wheel bearing too as that can do the same thing..

Good luck man and it would be nice to see a pic of your 70! Cheers!

swap front wheels to the rear see if it alters the problem . Someone on here long back eventually worked out that he had one wheel inexplicably heavier than all the rest .

Thanks for the replies guys....Forgot to mention i have fitted new Koyo wheel bearings, and there is no play...Winter tyres and Hubs fitted last week and the problem remains, so discounting the Wheels from the problem....Doing my effing head in !!!

I have the same running gear year on mine. It's probably the passenger front wheel giving the feedback that you're feeling. Mine is doing exactly the same thing, same speed too and the only difference to when it was fine is that I fitted a set of 80 series alloys with circa 33" tyres on it. I have 80 series front springs on it and they give about a 4" lift. I was going to suggest wheel balancing.. but reread your post, but in my case I believe the tyre has a flat spot and giving the shakes! Or the front panard rod lower bush has worn out?

If you say that you have sagged standard suspension... then it improves (wrong word) caster as apposed to raising the truck which puts the caster out which will make the tyre follow the contour of the road and you're steering into the road.

Check the front passenger side wheel bearing too as that can do the same thing..

Good luck man and it would be nice to see a pic of your 70! Cheers!

When i say the Springs have sagged i meant that they may have compressed a little over the last 31 years lol

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back