Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Catch Can

Red Cruiser

Country Flag
australia
Last year fitted the item (or similar)below, found it beneficial. Cost $40 or $50 from memory ( which may be completely wrong) had to buy the necessary tubes and mounting bracket to install it.

Every since I purchased our HJ61 had a smidgen of oil near the Turbo Al/Rubber Tubes now none. But probably the main reason after 300,000 Km of ownership is I want to reduce/eliminate any smoke coming out of the exhaust and I believe this unit does that as well as I collect around 2 or 3 table spoons of oil from the unit every 2000 or 3000Km.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/ryco/ryco-crankcase-filter-assembly-catch-can/p/A5390852

Peter

Iv got the one below in my watch list .. Will definitely be going on once the engine is Re built.. 65 Quid is not bad iv seen them cheaper... Dont know if there any good...Fitting one has to be a Plus!... You'd think.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-TOYO...iesel-OEM-Fitment-Oil-Catch-Tank/372561136009
Aren’t there ones you can open and clean out, contain baffles, that sort of thing? It looks well made but the description is laughable. I think I’d want a pipe entering tangentially and one leaving at the top but that’s just from seeing industrial filters.
I don’t know much apart from what a few videos on YouTube have shown. As the description gives no evidence about how well it performs, no cross section of the inside. I’m not sure if there might be better ones on the market.

For sure, removing oil mist from being entrained into the air intake has to be a good thing. I’m just not convinced by the description on this one. I think I’d like mine to return back to the sump, possibly via a modified turbo return pipe as I’ve seen mentioned somewhere.

When i was looking into getting one (while decided i did not want a filter that could possible get blocked) oil is heavier than air , i came across one for aircraft , possibly Cessna ? that looked ideal .

I think the better ones like the Provent have pressure release valves. One thing that I've heard mentioned (on one of the Fourx4 diesel videos I think), is that, from their experience, tappet adjustment is needed more frequently when catch cans are fitted.

I think the better ones like the Provent have pressure release valves. One thing that I've heard mentioned (on one of the Fourx4 diesel videos I think), is that, from their experience, tappet adjustment is needed more frequently when catch cans are fitted.
A bit like flashlube helps with valves on an LPG fueled petrol, the oil mist helps lube the valves you mean?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Shows how much i know... I Thought having a Can would be more of a Pro than a con. Seems a lot of folk have them.. Never crossed my mind about more frequent tappet adjustment..:think: Maybe a Pro can advise either way...Look good tho all shiny and that..

A bit like flashlube helps with valves on an LPG fueled petrol, the oil mist helps lube the valves you mean?

Yes, that was their reckoning on the 1KD engines they'd been working on anyway, they were also finding that cylinder pressure readings were a bit lower. Not the video where he talks about that specifically, but talks about catch cans here:

Ps. found the one where he mentions his findings......eventually.

Last edited:
I simply can't see any reason at all a catch can might be a bad thing , the PCV especially on our older engines was a forced addition to engines never designed to have it , same as EGR , its criminally insane mechanically to force the engine to filter junk it doesn't want by way of recycling . But its good for the planet (and empties pockets) to to maintain these stupid ideas .

Interesting Vid... Right from the off he made it clear hes against Cans.. Dont wast your money he says..

Yes, that was their reckoning on the 1KD engines they'd been working on anyway, they were also finding that cylinder pressure readings were a bit lower. Not the video where he talks about that specifically, but talks about catch cans here:

Ps. found the one where he mentions his findings......eventually.

I fitted a catch can on my 1KD from when I lived in the UK and in winter it would collect 100 mil of water a week and as well as a mayo like cream , that made me vent it to air to stop it from going back through the turbo and in to the intercooler , In Cyprus no water or mayo like cream collects in the can, I also fully blanked my EGR and fitted a ozbush manual mapper so that I don't get a engine warning light on the dash , I think if you fit a catch can and don't block off the EGR valve , the carbon soot the EGR valve puts through the intake will put wear on the inlet valves without the oil vapour from the PCV from the cam cover ,as dry carbon is abrasive , BUT its not just dirty oil vapour its also hot crankcase gas that is blown back down the intake to be burned up instead of 100% cool fresh air from air filter thats clean air that's going through the intake , I have the pcv vent pipe rising about 6 inches before it enters the catch can so only vapour goes through the catch can and oil rolls back down the vent pipe and back down into the rockerbox so very very little oil gets into the tank , the exit pipe I have it plumbed across the fire wall and down under the car lower but near the ac water pipe . if I get under the car with engine running the vent pipe stinks of crank case gas . so I don't want that coming in through the air vents in the car , so I plumbed it to go under the truck as far away as possible .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back