Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB Radios

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Is it illegal to use CB while driving, as mobile use is?

Hi Chas
It is not tecnical illegal but if a copper deemed you were driving without due care etc then they can do you for that.

I suppose it would depend on the wording of the offence for using a phone, it could cover all communication devices.

There is a specific law against using (Holding) a mobile phone or sat nav whilst driving. You must have some sort of hands free device and holder but you can still be stopped and prosecuted if Police think you are distracted and driving erratically or dangerously. You could fit a hands free kit to the CB but you could still get nicked if seen and thought to be “not fully in control of your vehicle”.

If that is so then how do the police justify using their squawk boxes whilst in control of a pursuit car at stupid mph on A and B roads and motorways AS SEEN ON TV or are they ABOVE the law that they supposedly uphold

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Erm , yes they are Steve , i thought everyone knew that , what you gonna do - report them to the police ?

Nah might get me one of them smarter telecommunication devices and then drive around very fast like a ring piece whilst recording it all one handed drinking a red cow then when I lose em get a person way smarter than me to post it up on an anarchist building plod and ask them wad a ya fink of dis

When my cousin got detained for driving too slowly it was the final straw for his father who tired of the weekly harassment of his son lodged a complaint . In response he got an assurance it was absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the fact he had sold the 300 odd horsepower souped up Nissan hatchback a copper wanted to buy but needed time to get the funds together .

I lodged a complaint myself when a desk sergeant attacked me without provocation for no reason at all , i'd been arrested 10 miles away by two very polite teenybopper coppers for an outstanding fine 7 or 8 years old so i was like yeah ok i'm tired anyway lock me up and we will sort it out in the morning , no handcuffs it was just one of those things both they and i could do without but had to be done . Then when im standing at headquarters surrounded by police the jumped up little pipsqueak behind the desk just flew into a rage that took everyone by surprise , grabbing me trying to twist my arm up my back and cuff me with the strength of a 5 year old girl and screaming like one while he did it . He was simply trying to provoke a reaction in me to escalate things .

There might have been a full minute delay before the other officers watching his pathetic struggle decided maybe they should help him but by then i'd decided nobody is putting me in cuffs and voiced my own challenge loud enough for all the old school cops in the station to recognize my voice and come charging in like the cavalry - to protect me !?!

"get your hands off him" "let him go" "shayne calm down" . All stepped back and in the silence an old guy opened to the door leading to the cells and just give me a look that said you know the way .

Next morning the boss man says he has to ask me if i want to lodge a complaint , this is new to me but i was like damn right i do "but he could lose his job" says bossman with a pained expression , ok says me lock him in a cell with me for half hour nobody will ever know and he gets to keep his job . I sincerely wish i could was the reply .

Maybe 6 months later i got a letter of apology stating the two very polite teenybopper cops who did absolutely nothing wrong had been reprimanded over the incident .

My very first criminal offence police gave me a choice "make a statement so we can lock up the guy who did do it or we will send you to prison for what he did" . I was 15 so they had to adjourn it a few months .

I do respect the law and i can respect police but i absolutely do not respect the uniform .

Last edited:
Got a cb and a vhf radio in mine, have asked the question to a traffic cop before about use while driving, said becomes an issue if not in control of the vehicle.

Got a cb and a vhf radio in mine, have asked the question to a traffic cop before about use while driving, said becomes an issue if not in control of the vehicle.

I guess that could cover a number of activities!:icon-biggrin:

Back