Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CDL & 7 Pin mod.

All I can say is 'Go boil yer head in a bucket' I knew I was right - because I did exactly what Jon told me to do.

End of.

images.jpeg

Just back home from the mancave....
20140108_194029.jpg

The one on the right is what I've unplugged (the one unplugged in the pic) now the CD only works via the dash switch. I'm guessing it's the correct one as it operates how described?
That's my auto fz. Not driven it yet to see how it changes in lr as won't be moving it till the weekend.

Last edited:
I thought I was keen, but blimey Gary. Yes that should be the one. There are two sensors both coming off the same shaft at that point and looking in through the holes in my spare T box, I am a bit baffled as to what they both do. The third sensor is way down the box at the other end where the front housing is. That detects the CDL shaft, shift. That one then is probably the low range detection.

I thought I was keen, but blimey Gary. Yes that should be the one. There are two sensors both coming off the same shaft at that point and looking in through the holes in my spare T box, I am a bit baffled as to what they both do. The third sensor is way down the box at the other end where the front housing is. That detects the CDL shaft, shift. That one then is probably the low range detection.

I was near the 80 so thought I'd have a go.
I thought the gear change was just 'normal' so looking forward to going out and testing it now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right driven the 80 today with the plug well unplugged.
Yep as described full control over the cd and much better in lr.

Just as a quick few questions, can the cd be engaged while driving or do I need to stop everytime? Plus is there a max speed with cd engaged? Can I go from high to low, low to high while on the move?

I've locked the CD while on the move around 25-30 with no ill effect. Not to be done if one or more wheels have lost traction though. As for changing ranges, the OM states 'below 5MPH and use the clutch' for the manual. For the auto 'stop completely and select N'. No mention of a speed limit with the CD locked other than the usual transmission windup and tyre scrub etc. I've found the vehicle drives better in all but the deepest snow with the CD unlocked and let the VC do it's thing, which it does, very well. JMO

Just like it says on the tin, eh Gary.

TP has nailed it there. You can actually engage CD at higher speed than that actually - in high range obviously. I agree with the comment on the VC. It's very good indeed and is a major part of what makes the 80, mighty.

I don't have a VC in the GS and it does feel different. But it can't be. When I lock the CD in the auto monster I get no sense of binding or torque, even on tar. OK I am not talking about doing 3 point turns. Just mild steering. If I lock the GS it's like the diffs have all been welded up. It's very very tight indeed. Don't know what that is. Could it be the auto box and TC compensating for the extra loading?

I've been stopping to engage cd and change range just figured i'd check.
I've been very impressed how far it'll go in hr, then how far before I've needed the lockers. Liking the auto off road too.

The Isuzu I could go between ranges without stopping just dip the clutch, didn't need to stop to engage 4wd (providing hubs locked) no cd and had auto diff locks it kinda looked after itself.

In my manual, I can select from H to L to H on the move, but you have to knock the g/box into neutral. I normally only do this on one particular part of my regular run, where a steep sometimes slippery climb meets an asphalt road. I come up in 2nd low, get all 4 wheels onto the asphalt as I knock it into neutral, then bring it into H and select 2nd again, and away up the asphalt hill.

Appologies for the slight thread hijack here but, as my 80 has the early hydraulic gearbox that has no solenoids, I'm guessing this plug won't exist.... so operating the CDL in H or L won't affect the shift pattern as it isn't controlled by electric wizardry?

Back