Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

charging system

Mark Whiteside

I have a little problem with my 100 4.2
see does not start charging straight away,it takes a few minutes before the alternator kicks in
I haven't looked at her yet,just wondering if there was a relay controlling it,or is it the bushes or
the regulator failing
Sorry my first on the new site is a question but been really busy at work and having my house
rebuilt

Glad we didn't lose you Mark :dance: Is this new behaviour? I ask because I'm guessing the 100 has some sort of intake heater and with it having gone a bit colder maybe that is staying on and pulling the voltage down for a few minutes and then when that goes off you see a more normal voltage? AFAIK your alternator is just a 120 amp version of an 80 series i.e. no clutch or control mechanism to turn it off.

It has been happening for a quite a while now
And also the alternator will not kick in untill the revs have been taken of idle

I have a little problem with my 100 4.2
see does not start charging straight away,it takes a few minutes before the alternator kicks in
I haven't looked at her yet,just wondering if there was a relay controlling it,or is it the bushes or
the regulator failing
Sorry my first on the new site is a question but been really busy at work and having my house
rebuilt

Hi Mark,

Don't worry about it as its normal to not charge straight away, As Jon says there is some sort of device that kicks in and then the Alternator will start to charge.

So there is no fault, as long as it starts to to charge after a few seconds, and you should hear a click !

The intake heater grid is on for 90 secs at every start-up as long as the coolant is lower than normal operating temp. This heater takes all available current from the alternator and some from the battery (depending on RPM). The heater is for emmision purposes and taxes the battery, alternator and drive belt quite a bit. By disconnecting it, these parts would last longer.

It's quite usual for the alternator to not charge until you lift the rpms above idle. I have had many cars which do the same. So long as you're getting around 14 volts when it is charging, you shouldn't worry.

Mike

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back