Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chassis corosion protection

BIG clean GREEN

Garage
Hi all,

This summer I want to do some chassis protection, but not too sure of the most efficient way to to do it, I'm not paying the big bucks that "before and after" charge so want to do it myself, there's all sorts of things out there, I was thinking of stone chip paint then waxoyl, inc inside the rails, any ideas welcome !

Thanks,
Nick.

This is one of the (many) things, I also have on the "to-do" list. So would be interested in hearing your comments too.

I think there are lots of ways of doing this - not sure waxoyl is the most resilient of them. But is cheap and does the job reasonably well. It's not a "do once and forget" solution though, so you will need to reapply every few years.
It basically comes down to how much £££ and time you want to spend....

I believe Julian V uses the Dinitrol products, which have a rust converter (Converust RC900) and then a top coat (not sure what the Dinitrol product # for this is but a search will tell you!).

Wurth have some products which are generally regarded as being pretty good and also quite tough.

IMHO (with limited experience, it has to be said) the big daddy is POR-15. It is very expensive (as in £20+ for 0.5l) but if you use their primer/rust converter and then whack the paint on top, your cruiser will be well protected! Some of the paints are not UV resistant, so either need to be underneath the car or covered with another coat to block out the UV (waxoyl would be fine for this). The POR-15 is chemically-resistant to most things, so it won't come off if you splash oil on and it will withstand a lot of stone-blasting. It's very tough stuff. If you're going to do the job yourself and your LC is a "keeper", then POR-15 is worth considering.

Cheers,

I've been reading up on a few of the rust preventers and they all read well, especially the POR-15, the down side to the latter is that I'd also need to apply a coat of por-15 new metal spray due to the fact that my chassis is like new and the POR-15 won't stick to it, also I wanted a smooth finish to be able to paint it black so it look's original ! There's also Dinitrol, KBS rust preventer and rust solutions !! Is the POR-15 a bit like gooey undercoat to apply?

decisions decisions :? :? :?
More advice please,

Nick

Nick,
New means NEW, as in shiny clean steel that rusts in a few days. Whatever you have under there will have an oxidised layer over it or some kind of coating. Unless of course, you've just had it sandblasted :roll: The POR-15 will stick to your chassis, of that I am confident. The POR-15 gives a smooth finish and you can get it in black ;)
If bonding concerns you, then use the "metal ready" or whatever it's called - it's not that expensive, it's easy to use and a bottle should more than treat your chassis etc. My guess is that any phosphoric acid based rust treater would probably prep the metal surface enough for the POR to bond - you don't need their brand specifically!

Nick said:
Is the POR-15 a bit like gooey undercoat to apply?
Its like a thick, viscous paint - not gummy like waxoyl. Getting it off your hands is next to impossible until it wears off, so use gloves!

Rustoleum is damn good - plus its a primer and top coat in one, it is expensive, but the matt black spray cans are simple/clean and easy to use, my chassis looks very nice now....

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
DaveWall said:
Rustoleum is damn good - plus its a primer and top coat in one, it is expensive, but the matt black spray cans are simple/clean and easy to use, my chassis looks very nice now....

Dave

Thanks. What's the best way to prepare the surfaces before application?

OT

Big clean green, that avatar of yours going crazy with the key board is hilarious :lol:

Put mine in to have the full Dinitrol treatment a few weeks back. Unfortunately the garage also "opted" to use waxoil for a few areas as they reckon it's better (like getting into some of the bodywork). It's not :evil: Wherever they put Waxoil it looks a real mess compared to the Dinitrol which is a nice black. Whole underside was done with Dinitrol and looks a lot better. Truck stank of the fumes for a couple of weeks though.

I went for the cheap option of gettin some used oil and spray the whole underneth of my landcruiser. dont no how well it will work. lol at lease all nuts and bolts will be oiled. :)

Lorin said:
Put mine in to have the full Dinitrol treatment a few weeks back. Unfortunately the garage also "opted" to use waxoil for a few areas as they reckon it's better (like getting into some of the bodywork). It's not :evil: Wherever they put Waxoil it looks a real mess compared to the Dinitrol which is a nice black. Whole underside was done with Dinitrol and looks a lot better. Truck stank of the fumes for a couple of weeks though.

Where did you get that done? And if you don't mind me asking what did that set you back?

Back