Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chat GPT

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
You've probably heard of Chat GPT on the news - thought I'd try it out with a few toyota questions...

Bit scary - its getting too clever this stuff !

K: how should i treat surface rust on the chassis of a toyota land cruiser

Surface rust on the chassis of a Toyota Land Cruiser should be addressed promptly to prevent it from spreading and causing more serious corrosion problems. Here are the steps you can follow to treat surface rust on the chassis of a Toyota Land Cruiser:
  1. Clean the area: Use a wire brush to remove any loose rust, dirt, and debris from the affected area.
  2. Sand the surface: Use sandpaper or a sanding disk to remove any rough or flaky rust. Start with a coarse grit and work your way to a finer grit.
  3. Apply rust converter: Apply a rust converter to the cleaned and sanded area, following the manufacturer's instructions. This will help to convert the rust into a stable, rust-inhibiting surface.
  4. Paint the area: After the rust converter has dried, apply a primer specifically designed for use on metal, and let it dry completely. Then apply a topcoat of paint in a color that matches the surrounding area.
  5. Protect the area: Once the paint has dried, you can apply a rust inhibitor to protect the area from future rusting.
It's important to note that the steps for treating surface rust on the chassis of a Toyota Land Cruiser will depend on the severity of the rust and the location of the affected area. For example, if the rust is particularly severe or is located in an area that is difficult to access, you may need to have the area repaired by a professional. If in doubt, it's always best to seek the advice of a professional to ensure that the rust is treated correctly.

K: what rust converter would you recommend

There are many rust converters available on the market, and choosing the right one for your specific needs can be difficult. Here are a few well-regarded rust converters that you may want to consider:
  1. POR-15 Rust Converter: POR-15 Rust Converter is a well-known brand in the automotive and marine industries. It is a two-part system that includes a rust converter and a topcoat.
  2. Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer: Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer is a one-step solution that can be easily applied directly to the rusted surface. It dries to a non-tacky surface that can be painted over.
  3. Krud Kutter Rust Converter: Krud Kutter Rust Converter is a water-based solution that can be easily applied with a brush or spray. It dries to a black, protective coating that can be painted over.
  4. Black Star Rust Converter: Black Star Rust Converter is a water-based solution that can be easily applied with a brush or spray. It dries to a black, protective coating that can be painted over.
These are just a few examples of the rust converters available on the market, and there are many other brands to choose from. It is important to choose a rust converter that is appropriate for the specific type of metal you are treating and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.

K: how about aquasteel or granville rust converter

Aquasteel and Granville are two brands of rust converters that you may want to consider.
Aquasteel Rust Converter is a water-based solution that can be easily applied with a brush or spray. It is designed to neutralize rust and convert it into a protective black surface that can be painted over.
Granville Rust Converter is another water-based solution that can be easily applied with a brush or spray. It is designed to neutralize rust, convert it into a stable, rust-inhibiting surface, and prime the surface for painting.
As with all rust converters, it is important to choose the right product for the specific type of metal you are treating, and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. It's also a good idea to test the rust converter on a small, inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire surface to make sure you are happy with the results.

K: what torque should i use for wheel nuts on a toyota land cruiser 120 diesel

The proper torque specification for the wheel nuts on a Toyota Land Cruiser 120 diesel can vary depending on the specific model and trim level. It is always best to consult your vehicle's owner's manual for the exact torque specification, as it is important to tighten the wheel nuts to the correct torque specification to ensure the safety and proper function of the wheels.
If your owner's manual is not available, you can also contact a Toyota dealership or a certified mechanic who specializes in Toyota vehicles for the correct torque specification. It is important to use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts to the specified torque, as over-tightening or under-tightening the wheel nuts can lead to problems with wheel balance and stability.

K: this is for a d4d with 17" standard alloy wheels

The proper torque specification for the wheel nuts on a Toyota Land Cruiser 120 D4D with 17" standard alloy wheels can vary, but it is generally recommended to tighten the wheel nuts to around 80-85 ft-lbs (108-115 Nm).
It is always best to consult your vehicle's owner's manual for the exact torque specification, as the manufacturer may have different specifications for different models and trim levels. If your owner's manual is not available, you can also contact a Toyota dealership or a certified mechanic who specializes in Toyota vehicles for the correct torque specification.
It is important to use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts to the specified torque, as over-tightening or under-tightening the wheel nuts can lead to problems with wheel balance and stability.

Yesterday I too asked some questions about LandCruiser. The way it gave answers was as if one of us prepared an answer by reading all the info from various forums.
Then I asked where do you get these answers from. It said from the internet. Then I asked don't you have copyright issues. To this, it said some legal stuff which I forgot.
It has a subscription fee of 20$ per month. I was thinking of getting the subscription and exploring full features but it didn't let me log in today.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you manage to subscribe Raj please let me know, it wouldn't work for me. Basically I think it only wants USA addresses.

Anyway, it looks like MS are integrating it into Bing, so maybe it will be free after all.....?

Are you using it at openai directly? I have an account that works fine.

Same I too went through Dall-E and created openAI account. It was working fine even when others could not get access. The only change I did was turning on my VPN after my last use. This VPN could ve done something.
Forgot to mention. I was searching for info on Kulma pass (China-Tajik crossing) to Khujareb pass (Pakistan) for some time but left that page blank in my notes as didnt get much info.
I asked ChatGPT. It straight away gave me distance in km, type of terrain, what to expect on that road and suitable vehicles to take an adventure on that road.

Pisses me off that Alexa says sorry whenever i talk to "IT" .

Mate was served dinner by a robot at the weekend - in a pub - in the Isle of Man where you will lose your mobile phone signal if there's a seagull in the sky :wtf:

Finally got my 9 year old grandson to tune out of ticktock on his phone and watch Rocky on Saturday , I swear its the first time he ever watched anything lasting more than a minute . After 1 hour of grudging and moaning suddenly he's stood on the sofa jumping up and down shouting "nan nan your gonna miss the fight"

Sunday he wanted to watch Rocky 2 and sulked because there wasn't time :lol:

Yesterday night I was with an IT friend trying to get tech stream running. He had a spare Apple laptop so instead of repairing mine he installed tech stream in his and we tried. There was issue with MVCI driver update so he asked Chat GPT.
It gave full instructions on how to get MVCI recognised and install drivers in windows virtual box on Mac/Linux laptop.

Surprised how it knew such things as only DIYers will be doing such things and it’s not mainstream business practice. They must have given it all existing data in the world

The thing about generative ai is that its only doing next word prediction using a statistical model. So while it will almost always have an answer, it need not be the right one.

In your case, virtual box is quite mainstream and the specific condition in Windows is likely well discussed online, so it's making the connections.

Reactions: Raj
An answer by someone who knows about such things when asked:

"So, the most widely used AI tools at the moment, like ChatGPT, are built using something called Large Language Models (LLMs), where they're "trained" using vast amounts of written data. In the case of ChatGPT, that's basically a large portion of all the billions and billions of web pages out there, which includes lots of academic stuff, papers, cliff notes, reviews, etc. So, when someone says something like "summarise theory x and include citations", the summary they get is from actual research, as long as it exists somewhere on the web (which basically everything does).

There is a caveat - LLM AI tools are known to "hallucinate" and give incorrect responses that they're confident as correct.. That's an increasingly big problem as LLM tools also learn and grow from the actual questions people ask them, as well as the replies it itself gives, so if an incorrect response is given and not challenged, it becomes even more confident that it's true.

More than two sentences, sorry! I guess the short answer is that if you knew a person with photographic memory who had consumed every dictionary, encyclopaedia, newspaper, academic paper, poem, atlas, almanac and everything else in the world, who was also very good at summarising, and who didn't charge you to ask it any question, it's likely you'd not want to pay for educational tools or services. Probably! "

There is a lot of false/lies on the web. how does it weed those out? If it cannot it cannot be very reliable.

Back