Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Choosing Pre filter for Safari Snorkel

Not an exact answer to your question, but a worthy note perhaps. I have that Donaldson filter on my 4.2 80 series and it works well. It's big yes, but it's an 80! One thing that you need to take into account is airflow. I fitted a smaller version before this one and in essence I couldn't get above 50 mph. It practically sucked itself into the engine. I don't know if there is any data on recommended engine sizes from the manufacturerer but it's worth checking. Small and neat, I'd go for that, but it may simply not be possible.

We use the top type on many older tractors.... smaller versions are available but as Chris said they need to be able to flow enough air for your engine....
Is the snorkel being used because you think you are going to be wading rivers 1.5 meters deep or to get a clean air supply in dusty conditions ?
If the latter .... then no reason you can't extend the top of the snorkel with some flexible trunking or the like to put your cyclonic filter in a better location.....maybe behind the cab ?

Last edited by a moderator:
the toyota topper you have pictured is for the 70 series. unless your rig is churning out big HP it will be fine. its the best looking one imo, the oem 80 series topper is one of the ugliest things known to man kind..
the ram air effect is a myth on snorkles, iirc you would have to be doing about 120 mph to have any ram air effect.

Most agricultural tractor parts shops sell the donaldson type. Think mines for a new holland and costs are around £25

Back