Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Safari snorkel snake

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
When I'm doing a 'jungle day' i.e lots of scratching and barging,I turn my snorkel head 180 degrees round to face backwards,so it doesn't get hooked up on a branch and pulled off.Was just wondering if anyone else turns their snorkel heads around to avoid thick dust,which I think is advisable when you're following other trucks?
Cheers

Hi all,
not sure if turning 'backwards 'the top of the snorkel is without risk, driving at somewhat higher speed ( highway ) the shape of the snorkel will create a 'vacuum' directly behind it.
That means that the turbo has a 'problem' with air sucking in, which can have a negative effect on the lifespan of the bearings inside the turbo, the 'pressure' on the axial bearings will increase.

Ar this old chestnut....

I have mine pointing forward - never had any problems. Others have theirs pointed backwards - never had any problems.

I have to say I have always wondered if having them pointed backwards would cause a vacuum effect as Cruiserfan said, but I've never heard anyone mention it as being a problem so I assume the effect isn't as great as you'd expect

Thanks lads,it's been turned back for years now but it developed a rattle recently so I faced it forwards and it disappeared.
It's quieter facing forwards so I'll leave it til it's next service and check for stowaways (insects etc).
My young nephew immediately said it looks better facing backwards!
Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I always wondered what happens to rain or splashes when water enters the snorkel,I think there's a flap before the OEM airbox that allows it to drain?
A local lad completely trashed his 70 series in a roll,he couldn't salvage anything outside but the Safari snorkel was undamaged!
Cheers

Ar this old chestnut....

I have mine pointing forward - never had any problems. Others have theirs pointed backwards - never had any problems.

I have to say I have always wondered if having them pointed backwards would cause a vacuum effect as Cruiserfan said, but I've never heard anyone mention it as being a problem so I assume the effect isn't as great as you'd expect
After reading the info on Safari's website I've turned both the 120 and 80's snorkels forwards,I sent them an email enquiry so let's here what they say.

So if it's dust and debris you want to protect against, face back. And if it's water, face front ?

Screenshot_20240120_081700_Samsung Internet.jpg

Safari's reply

That's an interesting response from Safari, although in all honesty I doubt it makes much, if any, difference and mostly depends on how you want it to look.

Facing mine forward on the 120 makes nicer noises,the 80 always sounds so sweet

Back