Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Circlip pliers

warrenpfo

Last question on tools for now I promise. :oops:

I have just spent the better part of 30 min trying to remove the C clip from the front drive shaft so that I can tighten up my wheel bearing. In the end I gave up as it was getting dark and I was getting pissed off. :evil:

It’s not often I need to use circlip pliers but when you do it really makes a difference having the right bit of kit over trying to use screw drivers and then normal pliers and nails and if you do get it off it inevitably flies in a direction not to be found again or you end up taking skin off your hand. :eusa-naughty:

I am fed up having to bodge a plan and need to get a set of circlip pliers.

Here is the question, do I get a set with one main body and different heads or go the full Monty and get a full set of dedicated circlip pliers.

I have found in the past when I have used the kind that you change the heads on they do have quite a bit of play in them and are not always the best quality but hen how often do you use a pair of circlip pliers?

Warren, the ones with the different fittings are rubbish (BTDT) - circlips/snaprings can be a major pain if you can't get them off but easy to do with the right tool.

In my experience on LCs, ones with flat ends (like a little paddle) are much more suitable than the pointy tips. The beefiest circlips often have pointed ends and thus are impossible to grip with pointed tip pliers. My suggestion is to get a pair of these - mentioned elsewhere in other threads, probably related to 80 front axles and rear t/case extension housing! They're good quality and have a decent reach and a wide gape. The small ones often don't gape wide enough to extend the ring enough to come off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190286396977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

those circlips on the drive shafts are a ba5tard to get off! :thumbdown:

or at least on the 70series they are, im presuming the 80's are the same. :think:

filling a little groove in each side of the circlip with a small needle file, makes them so easy to fit and remove as the ends of the circlip pliers dont keep slipping off! :thumbup:

Thanks all for the advice will see if i can find a good second hand set on the bay

I would also recommend the Armstrong ones, makes taking off snap rings almost enjoyable knowing that you have the perfect tool for the job.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
Warren, the ones with the different fittings are rubbish (BTDT) - circlips/snaprings can be a major pain if you can't get them off but easy to do with the right tool.

In my experience on LCs, ones with flat ends (like a little paddle) are much more suitable than the pointy tips. The beefiest circlips often have pointed ends and thus are impossible to grip with pointed tip pliers. My suggestion is to get a pair of these - mentioned elsewhere in other threads, probably related to 80 front axles and rear t/case extension housing! They're good quality and have a decent reach and a wide gape. The small ones often don't gape wide enough to extend the ring enough to come off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190286396977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
That's the right type. Normal Circlip Pliers are not for C-clips. There are dedicated C-clip pliers, like the one Andrew mentions - and links to.

Otoh, the file solution will work. And I found that using normal circlip pliers radially, angular to the axle/shaft, also works. Kind of just stays in place long enough to get it off or on. Just put a gloved hand over the end to keep it from flying.

Back