Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cleaning EGR valve and throttle body

Andrew was the brainy one on this but I understood it to be only of use when cold. When warm, the emissions are ok. Cold has excess soot which needs to be re-burnt.

Gary Stockton said:
I thought by blocking it off, the emissions go up, and the MOT folk will have a frothy?
Yes, to the first part - the EGR is an attempt to reduce emissions after all ;) Second part - probably not. I would think that even a D4-d bucket o' bolts when warmed up would easily handle current emissions standards without the EGR. If the HD engines get through ok, then a modern TD should be fine even without the EGR operating. Only caveat is if tighter emissions limits are imposed on newer vehicles - I don't know if different standards apply? Might be more age specific than engine specific.

Cheers,

Gary Stockton said:
I thought by blocking it off, the emissions go up, and the MOT folk will have a frothy?

In the MOT, they can measure only k-value (absortion of the light). The EGR reduces NOx-emissions, which can not measure afterwards, only in the type approval test in some test center laboratory.

In fact, the k-value, which is measured in the MOT, can be much better if EGR is blocked and intake manifold/valves are clean.

From what I recall when cleaning mine, disabling the valve (no need to blank if off?) would also disable the quick heat feature of the D4D as the heat exchanger is part of the EGR body.

Just had a look at the link below - why bother blanking it off? The D4D in the pictures does not have the Toyota cold start pack (no second water pump visible) so blanking it would be fine. For the UK specced ones, you would loose the quick warm features.

The EGR operates, from what I could see, from just a small vacuum pipe which sucks the diaphragm open, thereby opening the valve. Presumably, removing this pipe (simply pulls off) and blanking it, would in effect, disable the EGR valve?

Hi Crispin,

Has any one pulled this pipe off yet,
to see if it helps or any difference at all?

G.

Hi Crispin.
Do you have the part numbers for the gaskets and anything else required to remove and clean the EGR?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
After cleaning it all and putting it back together, with new gaskets etc, all seems well. The leak which prompted all of this, so far, seems well. I was a bolt that was not tight. Toyota wanted to replace the whole EGR valve...

IMG_1757.jpg
Hi Crispin,

In the image of yours, above, is the diaphram, the actuator for the egr valve?

In it's "rest" position, like it looks like now, is the egr valve shut?

If I was to remove the small bore rubber pipe from the actuator, and blank the pipe off, this I think wuold stop the egr valve from opening?
G.

Delayed response... :oops:

Yes, the diaphragm is to the left, it pulls the valve open.

There was some speculating a while ago that if you blanked it (or just blocked the tube) that the ECU might get upset in that it asked for it to be opened but did not open. Not sure of there is a double check. Not difficult to do though.

Note that if you do this, you will loose the "Power heat" function which is so lovely in the winter.
In the other post you did with the Spanish guy who removed his (he is a member here actually) you can see he does not have the second heater pump so he would not have the "problem". It is only the "cold pack" 120s which had the dual battery and the quick heat jobbie.

no pump, aircon pump is the top most item in the pic, no second set of water pipes.
EGR05.jpg

Mine:
IMG_1748.jpg

Does this thread have pics? To me they look removed... Anywhere else I can find them?

Note that if you do this, you will loose the "Power heat" function which is so lovely in the winter.
In the other post you did with the Spanish guy who removed his (he is a member here actually) you can see he does not have the second heater pump so he would not have the "problem". It is only the "cold pack" 120s which had the dual battery and the quick heat jobbie.

EGR05.jpg

Mine:
IMG_1748.jpg

Crispin;
how do i know if my 2006 LC3 3.0D has the 'power-heat' function?

cheers

Do you have the power heat button inside the car?

just looked,yes, i remember when i couldn't work out why the tickover was very high one morning
i'd pushed the PHB on with my knee!

living down here i never use it,the heater warms up very quickly anyway

Back